Kitz ADSL Broadband Information
adsl spacer  
Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum
 
     
   Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary
 
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Broken geolocation - mad (again)  (Read 426 times)

Weaver

  • Addicted Kitizen
  • *****
  • Posts: 6075
  • Retd sw dev; A&A; 4 7km ADSL2; IPv6; Firebrick
Re: Broken geolocation - mad (again)
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 03:03:57 PM »

@d2d4j you made a good point - and shed some light on what is going on. I stand by my opinion that what might be 'correct' according to some criterion, in the sense that it is logical, turns out to be not at all useful. If you want to know where a server or a router is, then reporting some data based on the location of some head office of whoever owns it, possibly in a different continent simply is not useful and indeed invalidates and pollutes the whole thing. There was also a straight bug, I know realise, because they were showing me an ip address on the same row as a domain name that was nothing to do with it at all, looks like an off-by-one error. I think I was rather naive in that I never realised just how bad some of these things are.

Oh and I wasn't attempting to comment on the routing. It is what it is. However it happens to get routed is a complex issue, just as you said, but is of no concern to me here. You are surely correct though in that the Atlanta thing is most likely a red herring.

As mentioned iirc in an earlier thread these services all get very upset by "Andrews and Arnold" or 'Andrews & Arnold" maybe the latter because of the "&" or the white space, but many services go completely crazy and draw a point on the map at a village called Arnold in Nottinghamshire, would you believe. So that kind of data is just junk.
Logged

Weaver

  • Addicted Kitizen
  • *****
  • Posts: 6075
  • Retd sw dev; A&A; 4 7km ADSL2; IPv6; Firebrick
Re: Broken geolocation - mad (again)
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 02:41:35 AM »

I sent them a very polite email and got a very helpful reply saying that they would fix it in a release at the end of the month. I just sent them a correction email now because I have since realised about the off-by-one error in the traceroute website code, which gave a domain name and it address pair that did not match, because they were getting rows/steps of the traceroute wrong, with an off-by one error somehow.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 02:56:37 AM by Weaver »
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]