Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Prisoners Released Early  (Read 2785 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Prisoners Released Early
« on: May 28, 2008, 06:41:01 AM »

I see were going to release 550 prisioners early due to overcrowding.But be assured by the home secretary these prisoners are non violent and non sex offenders.......How the hell does he know what prisoners will do when they get out.One thing for certain is most of them will re-offended because it is nicer inside than where a lot of them live when there out.
So the old saying 'do the crime,do the time' has been altered to.'do the crime,do very little time,then do more crime'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7422737.stm

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Re: Prisoners Released Early
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:30:33 AM »

Half of the problem with the prison system is the high percentage of foreign nationals in there.  Surely it would be a lot cheaper and efficient to deport them back to their own country and bar them from ever entering the UK again.  Hang on, we probably can't do that due to some bloody human rights nonsense.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 10:12:56 AM »

Half of the problem with the prison system is the high percentage of foreign nationals in there.  Surely it would be a lot cheaper and efficient to deport them back to their own country and bar them from ever entering the UK again.  Hang on, we probably can't do that due to some bloody human rights nonsense.

Yep have to agree with this... and yes... human rights.... ooh you can't do that..... they have their human rights of course but the victims and ordinary citizens don't.  I won't get started on all this... suffice to say the loonies are running the asylum and us poor sods have to put up with it.   >:( >:( >:( >:(

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 09:03:56 AM »

Whilst there obviously is a basic need for fair trial etc... human rights has gone crazy - the only people who seem to be allowed to exercise their "human rights" are those that have done something wrong! Grr >:(
Chris

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 11:04:30 AM »

What about the loss of our basic human right to protect our property and loved ones from intruders?

"Sorry officer but he just walked into this baseball bat which I happened to be holding at the time," doesn't count as much of a defence these days, and you end up getting prosecuted for doing what is no more than our natural instinct.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 07:26:37 PM »

Yeah - in cases like that they seem to conveniently forget that the reason someone got hurt is because that someone was trying to commit a serious crime, like trying to rob a house!! The person defending himself usually ends up with a harsher sentence :(

Although it is a bit of a grey area - some people do go a bit overboard in the name of defence... and unfortunately some idiots totally spoil it by pretending they were defending themselves when in fact they were the one doing the attacking.

It all comes down to who has the best lawyer in court, which is pretty mad :(
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 11:26:36 PM »

Maybe this might solve a problem or two, "which way though" you decide.

Officers 'to use own judgement' 

Officers will be left to decide for themselves whether to arrest or not
Four police forces are to abandon government targets and allow officers to decide whether to make arrests.

The "common-sense approach" being tried by the Surrey, Leicestershire, West Midlands and Staffordshire forces has been welcomed by the Home Office

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7428895.stm

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 08:13:12 PM »

So the Home Office has welcomed the fact that the police forces are to abandon the government targets...

What a crazy place this world is.

On paper, sounds like a good idea, we'll have to see in practice what happens. It'll be great if it works like it should, but on the darker side, it might allow 'bent coppers' to operate more easily, which wouldn't be good :(
Chris

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 09:52:57 AM »

In the past, sentences and punishments have been much more severe. For example, hanging for stealing one of the King's deer or one of the sickening punishments displayed at the London Dungeon.

I'm not convinced that these harsher sentences made any difference to crimes being committed, they still were. Many were driven to it because of their poverty though.

Today, we have gone to the other extreme - pampering inmates. I can see that inhumane treatment of convicts needed to stop, but we have gone way too far now.

(My visit to the London Dungeon was about 12 years ago, I took my young daughter for her birthday treat, along with her friend. It was what she wanted to do. Her friend had to be taken to the resturant in tears because the exhibits upset her. I was actually finding my stomach churning because they sickened me too. My daughter seemed unaffected - she has grown up to be quite normal though - and no ASBO's.)

J.Man

• Reg Member
  • When PC's couldnt get any worse there came Vista
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 07:18:27 PM »

I think someone need to edit the human rights and give prisoners who are in for serious crimes no rights at all. I know it may seem harsh but if they do the crime like kill or rape someone i dont believe they deserve to be on this earth. As they say for every person who dies in a rich country a million more are willing to take their place :(