Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Need advice, possible fault  (Read 12583 times)

boozy

• Reg Member
Re: Need advice, possible fault
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2018, 12:36:19 AM »

@Ixel, I've been playing with the Broadcom tool and there's something may help see the missing part of the SNR effects (on shaping), but you'd need to put the HG612 back on the line.

Put the modem in L3 state (not connected) then if you open the QLN view, then run the QLN monitoring it gives a min and max view of that too.

And if you could run the AFE hybrid response test too, I'd be interested to see the result (your fault behaves similarly to mine, except rain sets mine off)…  I really don't understand the output as it says HLog and looks very strange - I just attached it too, rather than describe it.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2018, 02:40:39 AM »

boozy: Could you paste adslctl info --Hlog result?

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2018, 11:30:19 AM »

@konrado5: My HLog is fine, but I’m not sure what the graph with HLog marked on it is actually showing. I have an inclination that it’s showing a problem with a joint/cable, just because I can see some of it reflected in the SNRM.  I think Ixel may see something similar.  If so, that utility is a cool toy :).

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2018, 11:45:47 AM »

I'll try this in the next few days. I want to try and encourage DLM to put downstream back on fastpath if possible in the meantime. I also want to see if the Vigor 2862 freezes again.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2018, 12:09:51 PM »

boozy: I'd like to see your Hlog on first 512 tones. My is unusual.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2018, 04:44:08 PM »

boozy: I'd like to see your Hlog on first 512 tones. My is unusual.
30 seconds of searching his previous posts.

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21615.msg373514.html#msg373514
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2018, 05:00:13 PM »

Beat me to it

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2018, 10:25:41 AM »

Unfortunately the DrayTek Vigor 2862 web interface/telnet interface still freezes after a few days of querying DSL statistics, which would likely indicate that there's a memory leak in the firmware. I doubt however I'll get anywhere in being able to prove this to them (I've already tried to explain and prove this with the memory usage stats) so I may as well just accept it as it is and instead have the router reboot automatically every two days. Maybe one day they'll notice the bug by some other means and resolve it. At least the DrayTek Vigor 2860Vac doesn't do something similar.

DLM hasn't restored fastpath on the downstream yet, but I'm wondering if that's because that line is getting a fair number of FEC errors. I can try increasing the target SNRM offset further to try and encourage it to restore fastpath. Before I try what boozy mentioned with the HG612 and then posting some screenshots here I would like fastpath to be restored for the downstream first. If it hasn't returned in a few more days then I'll try that and post some screenshots of the graphs.

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2018, 04:38:29 PM »

I'm not 100% sure , but the  QLN monitoring one, which may show where the noise from the phone calls affects your line, seems to sync just afterwards with no input or warning - so you may want to bear that in mind, to keep fastpath (assuming you get it back).

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2018, 06:13:52 PM »

I'm not 100% sure , but the  QLN monitoring one, which may show where the noise from the phone calls affects your line, seems to sync just afterwards with no input or warning - so you may want to bear that in mind, to keep fastpath (assuming you get it back).

There may be a possible solution to that, to either set the allowed profile to one it can't sync with (such as 8c or something) or disable VDSL2 from the allowed modulations.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2018, 03:12:05 PM »

I thought things were stabilising so I reconnected my second line this morning. Sadly in the last hour I've lost sync several times and re-synced. At one point my 'troublesome' connection actually synced at approximately 9M/2M for moment ::) :D. Sadly the line test on the CIX control panel is still coming back as negative and I fear DLM will send its wrath my way overnight due to the number of re-syncs in a short timeframe :P. At the moment my DrayTek Vigor 2862 is connected to my 'troublesome' line, so I can't get a QLN or Hlog to see if much has changed to clearly indicate a problem (though I expect they'd still be alright as I think this is intermittent). However, this is the worst I've had it so far, so I think the fault is slowly developing which is good news I guess as eventually it should show up as a problem that I can report with some certainty of it being found by an engineer.

EDIT: BINGO! Fault detected, 'dis one leg in network' - access not required. Good news? Also syncing at 8141 again.

EDIT 2: Hmm, the trouble report just got rejected... it said: "Trouble Report Rejected - Care level is Total Care, 24Hr access is not provided OR 24Hr access value is 'N' and earliest available and latest available times are not provided." yet it didn't give me an option to specify that. Now I've done a line test again and it's coming back as 'PASS' :(. Re-synced again at 38889 with the phone working normally. Previously there was crackling on a phone call and then nothing at all for a while, now it appears to sound normal and is working again. What shall I do?

EDIT 3: Just wondering if I should call CIX and tell them about the trouble report being rejected due to something regarding 24 hour access not being provided. My line isn't total care either, it's high care, so I find that puzzling. I assume the original trouble report will have notes of some type about the original fault.

EDIT 4: After checking the notes on CIX's control panel, I see it mentions fault location as 'CE' (customer equipment?) which I didn't notice before even though it said fault report advised as 'yes' and that it was in the network. Looking that up I notice CE is the bit between the DP and the NTE, so I'm wondering if it could perhaps be a loose wire behind the master socket causing me this. However, I face a small problem if I'm right... doesn't Openreach charge a hefty fee if it turns out to be something within the boundary of the property (including something as simple as a loose wire behind the test socket faceplate for example)? I know I'm not allowed to touch the wiring behind the test socket faceplate, or so I believe anyway. Possibly a blessing in disguise that the trouble report was rejected if it turns out it's actually something at the master socket.

EDIT 5: After much consideration I decided to take a quick look at the wiring just to see if I could spot any possible issue, knowing I would be charged by the engineer if it happened to be wiring within the premises. I found a wire making and breaking which may well have been the culprit, so redid it and so far all is fine. I did a quiet line test as I opened the box and crackling started immediately, so I think it's fairly certain that it was the cause of the problem. When I redid the wire and put the box back the QLT was quiet, as it should be. If the line appears to be behaving over the next day or two then and DLM takes negative action overnight then I'll attempt to request a DLM reset for the line which was troublesome instead of waiting an eternity for fastpath to be restored.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 06:32:45 PM by Ixel »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2018, 06:54:11 PM »

EDIT 5: After much consideration I decided to take a quick look at the wiring just to see if I could spot any possible issue, knowing I would be charged by the engineer if it happened to be wiring within the premises. I found a wire making and breaking which may well have been the culprit, so redid it and so far all is fine.

IDC or screw terminal?

I did a quiet line test as I opened the box and crackling started immediately, so I think it's fairly certain that it was the cause of the problem. When I redid the wire and put the box back the QLT was quiet, as it should be.

Congratulations on achieving a successful outcome.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2018, 07:46:34 PM »

IDC or screw terminal?

Congratulations on achieving a successful outcome.  :)

The troublesome line uses an NTE5C so it's IDC, just glad that it appears I found the problem and appear to have resolved it. Just need to wait to see what DLM has in store for me tonight :P.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2018, 07:56:26 PM »

The troublesome line uses an NTE5C so it's IDC, just glad that it appears I found the problem and appear to have resolved it. Just need to wait to see what DLM has in store for me tonight :P.

Did you use a proper IDC tool? The screwdriver jimmy is always tempting but it never seats properly.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2018, 08:06:57 PM »

Did you use a proper IDC tool? The screwdriver jimmy is always tempting but it never seats properly.

The NTE5C has cam locks so you don't need an IDC tool or alternatively a screwdriver, it's a tool-less design :). I do have a proper IDC tool to hand though, should I need to use one.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

anything