Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Interleaving - Is it on?  (Read 4020 times)

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Interleaving - Is it on?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 10:55:14 PM »

Any line that is "fully loaded" will be subject to bufferbloat. If you implemented Quality of Service (QoS) on the network then you could reduce bufferbloat by giving an overhead (therefore you are no longer utilising the line fully). If QoS implementation is not possible then, assuming there are multiple users, you will need to ask every other user to play nicely and manually limit download and upload speeds on their devices.

If the line is not "fully loaded" (and any applicable network hardware is not utilised fully) but is still suffering from high latencies with the inclusion of deteriorated networks speeds then it is probably congestion on the ISPs network. It is fairly unlikely to be your line unless it was a fault, and the DLM would have taken corrective measures at this point to stabilise the line.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 12:41:45 AM »

You have no add latency like added by interleaving.
You have retransmission (aka G.INP) which adds no latency and any corrupt data is retransmitted by the DSLAM (for downstream, your modem does the upstream).

See here: https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/retransmission.htm

Depending on your location in the country and the ISP routing involved your "ping" to uk sites should be in the region of 10-20ms.
Those nearer London or on brilliant ISP routing can have 5ms pings.

In Central Scotland the lowest ping I've seen on a domestic FTTC line is 15.1ms.
Scottish highlands can be 20ms+.
The further North you go the higher the ping (generally) as most ISP's go through London.

Low interleaving adds 8ms on FTTC.

What is your lowest ping to the wider internet?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weggy

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2018, 01:47:59 PM »

Any line that is "fully loaded" will be subject to bufferbloat. If you implemented Quality of Service (QoS) on the network then you could reduce bufferbloat by giving an overhead (therefore you are no longer utilising the line fully). If QoS implementation is not possible then, assuming there are multiple users, you will need to ask every other user to play nicely and manually limit download and upload speeds on their devices.

If the line is not "fully loaded" (and any applicable network hardware is not utilised fully) but is still suffering from high latencies with the inclusion of deteriorated networks speeds then it is probably congestion on the ISPs network. It is fairly unlikely to be your line unless it was a fault, and the DLM would have taken corrective measures at this point to stabilise the line.

You say this but this isnt really what the problem is. If my line is constantly fully loaded, I dont have a problem. Its only when my line receives high load spikes (streaming) that I get an issue.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything