Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Orange moron visits Scotland  (Read 1134 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Orange moron visits Scotland
« on: June 20, 2018, 02:44:47 PM »

Apparently some orange-faced moron called Donald Rump is supposed to be visiting Scotland next month. I hope there will be a good turn out at the demos, because unfortunately I will not be well enough to turn out, but I dearly wish I were well enough to reward him with a shovel full of “donkey gold” instead of putting it on the rhubarb or giving it to the neighbours for their gardens.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Orange moron visits Scotland
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 05:27:50 PM »

Apparently some orange-faced moron called Donald Rump . . .

Is that the buffoon who wears a wig back-to-front and inside-out?  :-\  :-X  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 05:51:07 PM »

Every time I return home to Scotland, I am dismayed by the number of daft and annoying Americans.   They will trace back ancestry for 4 or 5 generations, or more, however far it takes to find a tenuous connection, then they’ll proudly declare “I am scottish!”.  When visiting their perceived ancestral home they are easily recognizable from the loud US accents, boasting how Scottish they are.  Also from the fact that regardless of gender they’ll be wearing wearing patterned and pleated ladies’ skirts, which somebody told them was a tartan and a kilt.

To be fair to Donald, I’m not sure he fits above description.   Not sure if he wears a skirt, but was his mother not Scottish, born on Isle of Lewis? :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 06:07:33 PM »

His mother is indeed an Bana-Leodhasach, I can't remember exactly where from. But he went to the Isle of Lewis a few years back, acting as if he was already president, and dropped in in some cousins.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 06:29:03 PM »

Embarrassing thing for me is, despite being Scottish born to Scottish parents and grandparents, raised in Glasgow, and a graduate of Glasgow University, I am no longer recognised as Scottish after spending my adult life in England.

Despite the fact that everybody down south perceives me as having a strong Scottish accent, back home it is perceived as "English". ???

Not so far from the daft Americans, after all? :-[

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 11:27:16 PM »

They will trace back ancestry for 4 or 5 generations, or more, however far it takes to find a tenuous connection, then they’ll proudly declare “I am scottish!”. 

This tends to be an American trend which I don't particularly see from other countries. 
The link can be about 8 generations back and they will still proclaim themselves as "Irish American" or whatever country American.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 12:22:03 AM »

This tends to be an American trend which I don't particularly see from other countries. 
The link can be about 8 generations back and they will still proclaim themselves as "Irish American" or whatever country American.

Indeed.   The odd thing is, in my estimation, American history and culture has so much to its credit.

They may not have ruined castles or medieval paintings of noblemen and royals, but they can (arguably) lay claim to foundations of modern democracy, and founding principles of the free world.    Why do they need to clutch at ancestrial connections, why are they not just proud to be Americans?   ???

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 12:24:08 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

anything