Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I'd like a new faceplate, is the NTE5c Mk4 to be installed by Openreach only?  (Read 11708 times)

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen

As far as I know Openreach only used the Pressac manufactured NTE5.
I would go for a BT/Openreach branded one to avoid any questions if an Openreach engineer needs to attend at any future point, but that's just me.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Berk

Not sure if branding would be an issue? all the Openreach/BT guff is printed on the filter plate and the phone socket plate is blank on all that I can see.

I'm just going off my experience of other wall sockets, some feel very cheap, some feel nice, some are a PITA to wire, others are easy. There may be nothing to discern between Kauden and Pressac as far as NTE5 master sockets, but if one is known to be more robust or better fit there could be a clear preference.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

Mrs Weaver’s hands are bad and she finds it difficult to unscrew the fronts of the NTE5As if we are required to plug a phone into the test socket. Apart from that I would prefer having NTE5As. We have one NTE5C now complete with new-style curvy Mk4 (is it?) SSFP which I neither need nor want. I asked that a BT man be sent out to replace the NTE5As after a lightning tweak a year or so ago. If I remember correctly, I had bought a nice new NTE5A ready for our engineer to fit, but possibly Mrs Weaver failed to give it to him because an NTE5C+Mk4 SSFP is what I ended up with.

Is there any chance that I could get it changed back?

I presume that I can get hold of a good NTE5A if I need one?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

I presume that I can get hold of a good NTE5A if I need one?

Yes, there are many genuine NTE5/As available on eBay, for example.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Berk

eBay is what I've done, ordered a bundle with Openreach branded  NTE5 + Mk3

I guess that should be Pressac for the phone socket if above comment is correct. I might grab a Kauden one as well to look at next time I'm at my local supplier and just see if there is a difference, but I won't be making a trip just for that now I've got everything I need on the way.

Thanks again everyone for your help :)

Hitman

Apparently there are 2 versions of the Mark4 socket, the first version one that seems to have caused issues - reported around the net was the first with coloured 'blue or red' push terminals/bad design camlocks, causing high resistance faults, now there is a newer version with clear push terminal camlocks and this is suppose to have the initial problems resolved, see link below and look under "Camlocks" and comments from users...

https://www.telecomgreen.co.uk/engineering/bt-openreach-new-nte5c-master-socket-guided-tour/

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 07:13:37 PM by Hitman »

j0hn

• Kitizen

It's not the MK4 but the actual NTE5C that was revised.
The main change was to correct the unit not sitting correctly against some back boxes.

None of the issues discussed on this thread were fixed (the lack of any soldered components/poor build quality).

edit: I think the mk4 might have also had small revisions to the cam lock only
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 02:06:43 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

Does anyone have a picture of the good ones and the bad ones?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

Does anyone have a picture of the good ones and the bad ones?

I can send you copies of two Openreach documents, otherwise I attach, below, an image taken from one of those documents . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Hitman

^^^^^^^
Yeah that's what I've seen about on the net, blue and clear although there's also been reference to a red camlock.

This is suppose to be one of the 'good ones' on ebay, the last two images clearly show clear type camlocks /also mentioned in the description as a new design...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BN-2018-Openreach-Telephone-Master-Socket-NTE5c-MK2-VDSL-ADSL-Faceplate-MK4-BT/222508950471

Interestingly one of his images shows the backplate taken off the MK4 front plate bit, looks well made.

[Moderator edited to simplify the above link.]
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:01:28 PM by burakkucat »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen

Interestingly one of his images shows the backplate taken off the MK4 front plate bit, looks well made.

The SSFP (filter) is perfectly well made but the master socket components are not.
This YouTube video shows the issue rather well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD67a-ZC7VY
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

chenks

• Kitizen

^^^^^^^
Yeah that's what I've seen about on the net, blue and clear although there's also been reference to a red camlock.

This is suppose to be one of the 'good ones' on ebay, the last two images clearly show clear type camlocks /also mentioned in the description as a new design...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BN-2018-Openreach-Telephone-Master-Socket-NTE5c-MK2-VDSL-ADSL-Faceplate-MK4-BT/222508950471

[Moderator edited to simplify the above link.]

i'd be dubious about buying anything from anyone that can't spell "picture", and get it wrong on every pucture :)

[Moderator edited to quote the post with the simplified link.]
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:04:07 PM by burakkucat »

Hitman

The SSFP (filter) is perfectly well made but the master socket components are not.
This YouTube video shows the issue rather well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD67a-ZC7VY

Seen that video although it's based on the older plate back in 2016 (see video date) that had the issues /and the mentioned blue/red camlocks, can't believe they'd use such a poor design to connect internal components.

Now I wonder what the newer type nte5c's with the clear camlocks are like at the component level, anyone seen images of this?

j0hn

• Kitizen

Yes, they are identical. The only changes are the ones already documented.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

spring

• Reg Member

He sold a lot of them though...

"After receiving the item, cancel the purchase within 14 days
Buyer pays return postage

You're covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee if you receive an item that is not as described in the listing."
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 09:59:19 PM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything