Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Business Broadband Network Static IP Address NAT Problem  (Read 30091 times)

GrantP

• Just arrived

Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to offer external users an SSL connection to an internal Citrix and HTTPS service.

I have a BT Business Broadband Network Connection with 5 Static IP Addresses.

I have been told that the BT Business Hub will not do what I need.  I therefore have a Netgear ADSL Modem connecting the ADSL line to a Netgear FVX538 Dual WAN Router Firewall.

An Easynet ADSL connection through a Lucent Router works beautifully through the FVX538.

The ADSL modem will only connect if I use DHCP - I have therefore setr this to RFC2684 Bridging and it connects through to the FVX538, but I cannot configure the BT static IP range anywhere in either the ADSL modem or the FVX538 Router and still get a connection.  The FVX538 will connect if allowed to connect automatically - it gets an IP address that is not within the BT assigned range.

I have purchased an SSL certificate with a URL and IP address in the BT static range.  The URL does not resolve and the IP address randomly resolves, but to the HTTP landing page.

Any suggestions?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: BT Business Broadband Network Static IP Address NAT Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 09:25:41 AM »

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

It would be in the FVX538 that you will need to try and configure the network settings. I'm not familiar with the device at all, but it's definitely on here where you want to be looking, not the ADSL modem.

If you're sure the ADSL modem is definitely in bridging mode and not hogging a public IP address for itself... my only other suggestion at the moment is that there seem to be a lot of firmware updates, have you got the latest firmware on the FVX538?

It does surprise me that the BT Business Hub can't do what you want.. because from what I can make out, it sound like a pretty bog-standard setup to me!
Chris

GrantP

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 06:49:16 PM »

Thanks for this.  Other priorities have pushed this down the list recently.

I have the most recent firmware on both the ADSL modem and the firewall, I have some joy in that one of the addresses in BT specified range is mapping through the firewall.  What I can't seem to be able to make work is to get the BT connection to work on a Static IP mapping, it seems to only work if it can dynamically assign the IP address to the firewall.

The ADSL modem is configured to Bridging mode, but I wouldn't know how to determine if it is hogging an IP address - I am not techie enough.

The BT Business Hub is a great piece of kit, I think it is some 'Smart-Alec' network configurations that don't let it support what I would expect to be a fairly normal requirement - BT's tech support chaps (third-party) were very willing in their attempts to help, but no one seemed to have the answer - they eventually said that it would not support what I was trying to do and that "the service is designed for use as a network hub and not a bridge"...

The irony is that the Easynet WAN (ADSL) connection is configuring with static IP addresses with no problems, so I know it is not the firewall, it could be the configs on the Lucent Router (Easynet managed) that are smarter than the ADSL modem with BT's default network configs.

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 10:25:01 PM »

As it has already been said, if the Netgear modem is indeed in bridged mode you will not be able to configure a static public IP address on it (WAN-wise), only a private IP address for the LAN.  The latter will be useful if you want to access it from within the LAN (as long as the device you are trying to access it from is configured with a local IP address on the same subnet; e.g. 192.168.0.X/255.255.255.0)

Unless I misunderstand what you are trying to do, the static public IP addresses will have to be configured on the Netgear router, for each of the server machines on the LAN (i.e. you assign these as LAN addresses to each of your machines).  To do this you will need to switch NAT-ing off at the router.  The public IP address assigned to the router via dhcp by the ISP is not important.  Set the router's own LAN IP address by using one of your static public IP addresses (that's the gateway address).  Then configure each server to use one of the remaining static public IP addresses and set the gateway address to the router's static IP address.  I think that should do it for you, but I haven't got multiple IP addresses here to try it out. :hmm:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:30:15 PM by Mick »
Regards,
Mick

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 04:44:14 AM »

Unless I'm misreading this then there isn't actually a problem here.

GrantP has a /29 assignment - ie he has 8 IP addresses. That breaks down (usually) into :

1) Network address;
2) Router address;
3) Broadcast address;
4) 5 usable IP addresses

Now with some ISPs (Zen for example), IP unnumbered is used so the router address within the /29 is also the external address but I rather suspect BT do it the "old fashioned" way by presenting a logically separate IP address and routing all traffic for the /29 to that address.

An example might help I think.

Lets say the range assigned is 123.456.789.16/29 so the range goes from 123.456.789.16 to 123.456.789.23. A possible arrangement for this would be :

123.456.789.16 - Network address
123.456.789.17 - Router address
123.456.789.18 - Usable
123.456.789.19 - Usable
123.456.789.20 - Usable
123.456.789.21 - Usable
123.456.789.22 - Usable
123.456.789.23 - Broadcast address

Now if you were on an ISP that used IP unnumbered then 123.456.789.17 would be both the router address on the LAN side and the WAN side and you could in fact set that as the WAN static IP address. If however the ISP doesn't use IP unnumbered then the WAN side address will not be the same as the router address and will be set by the ISP.

I rather think your problems are caused by the load-balancer/dual-WAN firewall and I can't help there.

Pretty much any ADSL router will handle routed IP on a small block like a /29 and for the ones that can't then you can of course map public addresses/ports to private addresses/ports as required. As Chris said I'd be surprised (amazed to be frank) if the BT Business Hub won't do this.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 04:48:13 AM by rizla »

hiwj

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 10:40:52 AM »

I had so much problems trying to setup my router to work with BT's peer addressing system, that I decided to share my setup with anyone else who's having the same problems.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 09:11:28 PM »

Hi hiwj and welcome

Thanks for that post - its very good and the way youve done the graphic looks smart :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker