Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Could BT Bell Wire removal help in this case?  (Read 19481 times)

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
Re: Could BT Bell Wire removal help in this case?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 05:48:25 PM »

Hmmm... I think this just goes to show how sensitive Netgear routers are to 'noise'...  >:D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 01:44:33 PM »

Hi and welcome :)

>> My noise margin has NOT altered since removing the bell wire
>> What has changed is my sync rate

That is excellent news :)

Just to clarify the higher sync rate will have been as a result of a better SNR.  Your router will always try and sync up giving you a set dB of SNR Margin - this is your Target SNR. After sync, your SNR Margin is then able to fluctuate up and down according to the local condition.
Therefore if your SNR is improved, then this will directly have an impact on you being able to sync at a higher speed, but your SNR Margin will still appear the same :)

Whilst SNR Margin and Target SNR are related, theyre not the same thing. - SNR and SNR Margin

So whats likely happened is removal of the bell wire has increased your Signal to Noise Ratio... but because there now more "spare" this has allowed your line to sync at a higher speed whilst still maintaining a xdB SNR Margin.  Hope that makes sense :)

As regards the "spike" and negative SNR, roseways already explained most of that, but one of the reasons why in the past we recommended the Netgear is because of its ability to hang on to lines even if the SNRM went into negative figures.  - Granted though you are likely to be racking up quite a few errors... but it does seem to "hang on in there".
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 10:55:36 PM »

One general point about syncing in the morning to get a good speed.... yes you may well do, but if you are too greedy, you may end up causing the router to give up and resync at the worst possible time of day, causing a low sync and messing your IP profile up for a few days!

And when you're getting frustrated trying to reboot several times in quick succession to get the sync rate back up again, you cause the DLM to think you've got an intermittent line and raise your target SNR... and if you don't have a router compatible with the DMT tool you're in a worse state than you ever were before... all for the sake of trying to get an extra 500kbps...

Just worth the word of warning, IMO :)
Chris
Pages: 1 [2]

anything