Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Draytek Vigor 130  (Read 7844 times)

Zico

• Reg Member
Re: Draytek Vigor 130
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2019, 03:40:50 PM »

So you wouldn't recommend the Draytek 2862?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2019, 02:41:24 AM »

What Ixel said.

I recommend the Firebrick routers, but they are scarily expensive (you get what you pay for). But config is a joy as it’s so logical. I love the fact that the config is in xml and thus plain text, you can import / export it and edit it with your favourite text editor. That way I can keep backups of older versions and difference them to see what I screwed up when I made changes. It’s a sophisticated and general firewall. It can drive multiple internet connections and bond them together if you get the ‘fully loaded’ software version. It can do failover to 3G/4G using a USB ‘dongle’.

The only problem I have found with it is that the 3G/4G usb dongle interface doesn’t seem to be 100% reliable for me, but that’s something I’m going to have to take up with the developers, except that I’m too ill and don’t have the energy to do so.

Any problems or bugs get fixed. You have unlimited forever stunning support free with a purchase. Andrews and Arnold sold me my two Firebricks and one was damaged following a lighting near-miss so they just replaced it for free! Event though in my opinion it wasn’t their fault; I think it was lightning- or EPR/GPR-related.

Anyway, I wrote up a rant ‘I love my Brick’ somewhere else here some years ago. Someone might be able to find my old threads, mini-review of the FB2500 and FB2700.

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2019, 03:30:27 AM »

£660 for the Firebrick fully loaded.

I'm ok for now :D.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2019, 02:13:50 PM »

So you wouldn't recommend the Draytek 2862?

The DrayTek 2862 works fine, depends on your use case. Make sure it has ample throughput for your needs, for example (I'm sure it would though).

As for the FB2900, it's great. Support is excellent too, it turned out I apparently had a prototype when I discovered an incorrect fault being displayed on the interface regarding an LED. They sent me a new one for next day delivery, I copied my config over and sent the old one back. As easy as that.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 02:16:38 PM by Ixel »
Pages: 1 2 [3]