Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fourth line  (Read 3134 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Fourth line
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 02:52:25 AM »

@Johnson I already have three lines. Have had for more than five years, can't remember exactly, it has been so long anyway.

I have been thinking about the battery thing for years, but don't know how to go about it. In fact there was a thread on this subject many years ago. Would be wonderful from the noise perspective too.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 06:43:18 PM »

I was doing a spot of blue-sky thinking (about the Isle of Skye), in the early hours of this morning, whilst waiting to drift off . . .  :sleep:

Suppose that there was a very simple media converter device for bridging metallic pathway xDSL <--> optical fibre. With four such devices deployed you would then have isolation from any near-by atmospheric electrical discharges.  :idea:

The four optical fibre patch cables would then need to be connected to some other gubbins, doing whatever, which multiplexed onto a standard 1 Gbps electrical port for connection to your FB2700.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 10:16:21 PM »

Also how does the money spread out for 4 lines. I guess the 3rd was the kicker in terms of cost as pretty much everyone has 2 pairs of copper coming in on the drop cable. Just interested in how you get the next couple, do openreach have spares at nearby junctions? Cant imagine they ran new cable for the whole 7km.

There are usually spares in the bundles, so they would just use a spare pair. No reason why the second, third or even fourth would cost any more, unless they were getting short on spare pairs of course. At some point there will be no spares, either due to faulty lines or they've all been used up, at that point Openreach would need to decide on whether to run in new cables back to wherever there is spare capacity, now they may decide to charge for that or not do it at all depending on circumstances. Weaver has hinted at this because there are new houses being built, which will presumably require telephone services at some point.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]