Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fuel Protests  (Read 5202 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Fuel Protests
« on: May 27, 2008, 08:42:43 AM »

Once again the lorry drivers are going to London protesting.What they are after is a fuel rebate,not a reduction in duty.Does that mean if they are compensated the treasury will have to raise the extra cost via 'joe public'.
We keep hearing things have to go up for 'to save the enviroment'.What this means is you can pollute,if you are prepared to pay to do it.
Supermarkets are giving you  free re-cycled bags to make you thing that they are doing their bit to save the planet,yet they fly apples and pears etc in from places like New Zealand,Argentina etc.Whats wrong with British.They are going to growers and producers in third world countries,buying their crops for peanuts and then charging us top price.
They talk about 'fairtade products'.Giving overseas producers a fair price for their crop.What about giving our farmers a fair price?
Its the same in other departments,knife crime,immigration.They talk about it but don't do anything.If you are found carrying a knife you should be locked up for 5 years,they won't do that because the prison are full,why are the prisons full................?

<End of Rant,pass the Diazapam>

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Re: Fuel Protests
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:31:52 PM »

Well Uncy I read your post and thought, "he's been listening in on my rants...."  I have to agree with everything you said, especially "you can pollute, if you are prepared to pay for it", very true that and it's becoming more apparent that the lower paid "joe public" are going to be the ones kept in check (road tolls etc etc) whilst those who have money to squander will travel, pollute, just do what they want and only because they can afford it!!

As far as I'm concerned with everything... it's prevention rather than cure... so supermarkets for a start should start their prevention by curtailing on the shelf packaging, bringing in food from around the world when we grow - provide the things here... it's crazy the way it's going and is getting worse.

Oh I won't go on, you've said it all especially re crime and immigration  :'( :'(  looks as though there's no hope now, talk is all they do, deeds are less apparent!!

Can I share your Diazapam please  >:(  :-X
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 12:53:53 PM »

'to save the enviroment'

Had a couple of 'jars' on Sunday (as you do) and got to wondering what the 'carbon footprint' was at Monte Carlo, as it was on the telly at the time.

Do Darling/Brown believe that charging us another 2p per litre will help save the world? Or is it, as we all know,just another tax raising scam?

dave  >:(

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 03:07:34 PM »

Supermarkets are giving you  free re-cycled bags to make you thing that they are doing their bit to save the planet,

But what they also forget to tell you is that "Recycled bags are bad for the environment" because nothing can be done with them afterwards "they can NOT be re-cycled.

According to Birmingham City Councils' re-cycling department that is, because they ask us not to put that type of bag into our re-cycling waste.  :lol:

Just received this bit of Junk Mail from a friend of mine:

Quote:
Sounds like a plan

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it

We are hitting £1.21 a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying £1.25 a ltr. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain   day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't 
continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT,whoever
thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us  to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take  aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place
not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we  consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the  price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not
purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it  to  at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at  least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the
message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached  over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and
pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and  not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us  sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt,
all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the  next 8days!!! Acting together we can make a difference If this makes
sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE   RANGE 

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your  petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e.  boycott BP and Esso

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 03:48:18 PM by oldfogy »

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 03:56:36 PM »

Perhaps M.Sarkozy has a point  !   

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7421198.stm

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 04:28:01 PM »

The price of oil is set by OPEC, and all the retail suppliers buy their supplies from the same small number of sources. I'm afraid that customer boycott campaigns requiring millions of individuals to act together don't stand a chance in hell of affecting anything. M Sarkozy probably does have a point. :)
  Eric

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 04:29:39 PM »

OF,
That idea falls flat on its face because the BP/Esso refineries do not just supply petrol to their own garages.
Do you know who's petrol you are using when you fill up at ASDA or Tesco or even Morrisons? The supermarket branded tankers run out of the nearest oil refinery which could be any of the big oil companies.

The name on the gate may be Shell UK or BP but it supplies to all sorts of outlets and trying to distinguish where the product came from is almost impossible. All that the targeted oil companies would do with their surplus petrol is deliver it to sevice stations that are not being blacked using the tankers of Shell or even unmarked contract deliveries.

The only real result of this boycot would be that a lot of branded garages would be shut down and that is not a good thing for motorists in the country.

Considering the amount of JET A1 aircraft fuel that is issued in this country on a daily basis, then the amount of Unleaded is insignificant to the point that it is a pain to deliver it with expensive tankers running all over the place to drop part loads here and there burning expensive diesel in the process. Do the protestors plan on boycotting any airline that uses BP or Esso aviation fuel, to really make their protesrt bite? An impossible goal because at some airports (Manchester is one) all fuel from Esso, BP, Shell and Total is pumped into one tank and then fed to the fuel hydrants around the aprons. Then you get the added complication that BA used to (probably still do) use Shell dispensers on odd dates and BP dispensers on even dates.

The real protest should be aimed at the Government and force them to reduce taxation on fuel because they make a lot of extra on VAT every time the basic price goes up because of OPEC. Don't say that the extra would have to come from somewhere else because it is a windfall that has not been built into their budget because they would not be able to forecast any increases in the price of crude.

That's my lot for the moment but god help any parliamentary candidate that knocks on my door in the future.

dave

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 05:58:35 AM »

Just something to make all us motorists feel better.My sister was speaking to her next door neighbour(who has just gone to work in Dubai)He put 15 gallons of petrol in his car over there at a cost of.................£10

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 08:15:40 AM »

Just something to make all us motorists feel better.My sister was speaking to her next door neighbour(who has just gone to work in Dubai)He put 15 gallons of petrol in his car over there at a cost of.................£10

I bet they were the smaller US gallons though!  :P
dave

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 08:33:36 AM »

I bet they were the smaller US gallons though!  :P
dave

I'd have Usbekistan Gallons for a tenner  :D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 02:53:18 PM »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 03:28:27 PM »

Petrol has come down a little around here, from a peak two weeks or so ago of £1.25/litre to "only" £1.17.9/Litre  :no:

TD thinks about dusting down his old pushbike.  :D

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 04:50:49 PM »

It may be just a coincidence, but out and about today the roads seemed much quieter than normal, could it be that people are thinking twice before using their cars?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 04:55:12 PM »

It may be just a coincidence, but out and about today the roads seemed much quieter than normal, could it be that people are thinking twice before using their cars?

I think they are all in lay byes run out of petrol

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 05:10:26 PM »

There is another site I visit with a lot of Americans and Canadians, boy you should hear what they have to say about the price of fuel, most of it is just not printable on here, needles to say, they are not happy either.

I don't know so may only be guessing, but I think a US gallon is about 6 pints.
Pages: [1] 2

anything