Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Speed issues with AAISP  (Read 21642 times)

unocomms

• ISP Rep
  • Just arrived
    • uno.net.uk
Re: Speed issues with AAISP
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2018, 07:13:47 PM »

Hello,

We've been made aware of this thread by one of our customers so though it would be right to reply and add some more context.

I don't think it's fair to say that there was any failure by us because as orange4 says, a lot happened behind the scenes.

What did help overall is that there were a lot of AA users that were adding dialog here to compare their issue. There was the odd customer with us too. Sadly, the one or two customers with us that did see the issue didn't report it to us based on the posts here.

We had one solid report of the issue, which we didn't back down on. Another report but with throughput that varied wildly and one that was right most of the time. With this, TTB were working with very little information which looked like a single line fault. Had we had more lines, we'd have had more data.

We've spent several weeks arguing, fighting and pushing TTB. We've had their networks team on this, their head of networks; all checking configurations, showing us the output from switches and all of which seemed correct - they were being as transparent as they could be. They simply couldn't find the issue. If indeed the configuration change required is as now believed, it is as simple as few lines of config but could have been overlooked and may have just been due to a new pair of eyes checking it over and identifying it, or the configuration was as Juniper recommends which wasn't best for the use case.

Added: One of the first things we suggested to them was an incorrect CoS configuration on 14th May a day after the first report. They had concluded this was set correctly and the configuration of that and their NGE were all correct. They allegedly checked this again twice after that date around 2 weeks apart. The need to review and explain this lapse will be included in a report we've demanded they compile on the incident.

When we had the first report, we posted in a private group of which some ISPs are present who also use TTB to see if anyone else was impacted. We had no responses. This didn't help prove the issue to TTB, because as far as they were concerned, they had no other reports - which may very well be the case.

Only after a post by Andrew in that group a few days ago could we both approach TTB and show evidence the issue was bigger than we initially thought.

We offer a 40/10 service, and according to a post with Andrew today on that group, AA don't. We did not have any 40/10 user report this and from the understanding of the issue, those with lower-rate syncs would not have noticed. Even those customers who would have been impacted, might not be too worried about the reduction or as is evident, even report.

TTB are extremely hard to deal with when you believe there is an issue but only have the odd line affected (from those reported), so yes, whilst they did have more to work with because they then had another partner report the problem, I don't feel it's fair to say we deserve no credit at all.

For PhilipD, banger or anyone else with us, if you ever see a problem please do contact us. It would have helped us massively in getting a quicker resolution for all as has happened here. Additionally, we're automatically crediting those we can identify as potentially impacted for the full duration that we can correlate the issue to so please get in touch for that if you've not already had an email.

Matt
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:57:40 PM by unocomms »
uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700

orange4

• Just arrived
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2018, 07:35:10 PM »

AAISP contacted Talktalk about this on the 3rd, fix was tested today on AAISP Andrews home line, then rolled out to all lines within an hour. It's all in this thread if you read the whole thing.

What other timeline do you need? Uno's 6 weeks failing to fix the problem is irrelevant.

poor CS by AAISP, great at getting the problem fixed with 2 days.

great CS by Uno, but unable to fix the issue within 6 weeks.

edit: big chunk of credit needs to go to the Kitz community as a whole. Without this thread the issue would likely still exist.

pat yourselves on the back folks  :dance: :yay: :thumbs: :drink:

It's really not that simple, as Uno have just posted to confirm....

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2018, 08:54:02 PM »

I would like to say thanks to Uno for the credit from May and should have raised this as an issue with Uno cs but it appears all fixed now and back to my usual speed tests.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2018, 09:28:33 PM »

Hi Matt

For PhilipD, banger or anyone else with us, if you ever see a problem please do contact us. It would have helped us massively in getting a quicker resolution for all as has happened here. Additionally, we're automatically crediting those we can identify as potentially impacted for the full duration that we can correlate the issue to so please get in touch for that if you've not already had an email.

Matt

I didn't raise it as an issue even though I had noticed this lowered ceiling in throughput back in May, simply because at that time, having seen the AAStatus page and issues mentioned there with TalkTalk needing to move users to a new network, I assumed it was because I was on the older network suffering from those problems, and partly expected it to resolve itself at some point soon, either because their old network had less connected users as they were moved off, or because everyone else gets moved across.

Also because their were no typical issues of problems like packet loss or latency ups and down and speeds were only 5 or 6 Meg lower than previously, it seemed slightly petty to complain, after all it is a contended service, and I also took the Uno speed test which reported 72-74Mbps which didn't help me have confidence in reporting anything, as I thought if I raised an issue and was told to take that speed test, it would show no problems.  Of course later some investigation (by me having a poke around the code) seems to point to that speed test being a bit quirky, for example it's now giving me a result of 78Mbps (on the Uno tester), which I think is higher than the maximum possible speed it could ever be in practice on an 80/20 sync with VDSL.

I did check Uno status pages and dipped into the forum to see if there was any chatter about this back in May and on and off since and didn't see anyone else complaining or raise it is an issue.

Of course it was only seeing others report the same issues here that prompted me to join in, where it became obvious at that point I had probably joined the new network and that it was the new normal.

I think it would have been helpful if Uno had emailed customers on TTB that they were moving over to a new network build, as at that point we all would have probably fed back an "Aye up, somethings not quite right on this new network".  As it was, I didn't know I had been moved, and just worked it out later.  If I had known in advance of the switch over, I would have done a few speed tests before and after just to see, and would have reported back there and then, and I suspect others would have done the same.

We got there in the end, although I find it incredible TTB themselves didn't notice anything untoward. 

Regards

Phil

unocomms

• ISP Rep
  • Just arrived
    • uno.net.uk
« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2018, 10:03:40 PM »

I've noted the speedtest comments and we've been testing for the last few weeks some alternative versions. Please do get in touch via the portal as i'd like be able to identify you, check we've identified your line as one we believe was impacted and then alter your portal account to use the new test.

I think it would have been helpful if Uno had emailed customers on TTB that they were moving over to a new network build, as at that point we all would have probably fed back an "Aye up, somethings not quite right on this new network".  As it was, I didn't know I had been moved, and just worked it out later.  If I had known in advance of the switch over, I would have done a few speed tests before and after just to see, and would have reported back there and then, and I suspect others would have done the same.

I'd entirely agree although we had test lines on the new network months before this and they showed no issues. Likewise, all our customers had moved over to this well before the start of May. They trickled over as new sessions were started as to not cause any downtime or outage by forcing sessions to reconnect.

Part of the report we've requested is a log of all changes that they will have in the change control for the network. There were two drops in throughput we saw around 12/13th May, although the first to the second wasn't as large as the first, we suspect there was an alteration which was rolled out without testing although to be clear, this is solely speculation at this time from the data from the limited information we had.

Our immediate suspicion to CoS was an earlier customer that had an issue in March/April where their throughput was limited to less than 1/4 of their sync. No other reports and that would have been far more noticeable. This was a CoS issue on a TTB switch which they fixed after a few days and was, as they claim, human error.

I don't want to hijack the thread too much as largely the basics have been covered but do invite any of our customers to get in touch to discuss in more detail as well as alternative LLU options that we're working on.

Matt
uno Communications

twinkletoes

« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2018, 10:07:35 PM »

I'm wondering if I'm affected by this speed issue since I'm with uno and on the TT backhaul. My speed is usually around 68Mb/s. One thing I noticed from swapping from BTW to TTB is that my DS SNRM won't drop to a 3db margin, which it did when I was on a BTW service. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Steve

unocomms

• ISP Rep
  • Just arrived
    • uno.net.uk
« Reply #126 on: July 05, 2018, 10:13:18 PM »

The SNR wouldn't be impacted by this, that's down to DLM and controlled by Openreach.

If you were getting 68Mb throughout but your sync is full rate, try reconnecting otherwise do raise with us and we'll get everything checked.

Matt
uno Communications

twinkletoes

« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2018, 10:35:37 PM »

Hi Matt,

I used to sync at 80/20 when I was on the BTW service with a 3db SNRM, but ever since swapping to a TTB service in Jan 2018, Openreach's DLM hasn't even tried lowering the SNRM which I accept there's nothing that can be done about it except wait and see if the DLM relents.

That's why I haven't raised an issue about it in recent months. :)

Steve

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2018, 11:18:07 PM »

Absolutely nothing they can do about that.
I don't know if they are allowed to request DLM resets because the snrm target hasn't been lowered under the current DLM reset trial (I doubt it).

When you switched from BTw to TTB you effectively had a DLM reset.
Usually G.INP is applied within a couple days and the snrm target lowers a couple days after that. Now and again it just doesn't do as it should. It completely skips G.INP on some random lines despite being on a Huawei cabinet. A DLM reset fixes this.

If you were able to get a DLM reset (don't know what the criteria is OpenReach ask for) then chances are it would lower the snrm target within the week.

Completely unrelated to this threads issue and just 1 of those things with DLM.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2018, 02:14:18 AM »

My thanks to everybody who reported and progressed the problem. My download speed is back to what it was on the old TT network.
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1530839129821744055

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2018, 02:18:20 AM »

>Shame about the poor CS in the first place though.
Indeed. CS should not start to get dismissive / jaded / complacent. I would assume they have a lot of bull to deal with and whinging customers but unfortunately that is part of the job (although hopefully they might meet more customers with clue at a techy ISP such as AA).

I get the feeling somehow that AA staff have a lot on their plates. Signs of of being overworked include a minor lack of maintenance on website content, some has been rather out of date in the past, though better nowadays. Another thing is the AA ideas list - too much work in the queue means some good ideas never advance and sit there for years. It might be that a some more bodies would help the staff out a bit, take the pressure off.

The thing here is the contrast between a human operation such as AA and XyzVastco.net ISP where you can never get to a human being with a brain, just a zombie reading from a script acting as a corporate firewall, and you never know who any of the worthwhile people are. And here we have a problem detected, then zero red tape, AA staff just swung into action and fixed it. A “well done” to Andrew and to AA.

It's very weird, the idea of someone moving to VM in search of consistent speed ! They may very well sometimes be fast, but is often just a lottery from the rumour mill. If someone is with AA and is are not satisfied with their lot then I suspect that they are never going to be happy. :-)

I myself have absolutely zero interest in maximum speeds, random high speed when you are lucky and the gods smile on you. It is minima that I care about. That is one of the dozen reasons why I have zero interest in the fixed long-range wireless system that is available in the village. As a shared service you have absolutely no clue what the performance is going to be like from one minute to the next and no recourse if you do not like it other than to walk.

[Moderator edited to fix an incorrect auto-correction!]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 06:00:41 PM by burakkucat »

orange4

• Just arrived
« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2018, 09:17:10 AM »

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8101-uk-broadband-speed-test-results-for-june-2018 

Median of 239.4mbps is fairly decent.  On a 30 day rolling contract I think its worth a try.  Trading consistency for ability to burst where possible.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2018, 10:32:26 AM »

@orange4 they really are getting some spectacular speed figures nowadays. Is that figure with FTTP now then? Or to be more exact their weird system with almost all fibre optics and tiny bit of coax at the very last for compatibility reasons?

orange4

• Just arrived
« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2018, 11:18:44 AM »

@orange4 they really are getting some spectacular speed figures nowadays. Is that figure with FTTP now then? Or to be more exact their weird system with almost all fibre optics and tiny bit of coax at the very last for compatibility reasons?

That's Coax DOCSIS 3.0 tech, and yes fibre all the way upto Coax.   Some very  new deployments are FTTP then Coax converted for compatibility reasons (!!)

FWIW modern platforms, be it media, gaming are getting very data greedy.   You pay your money and take your chances...   

nallar

• Smokeping
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2018, 11:38:06 AM »

VM's stuff is good when it works. Don't expect useful customer support. If there's a flaw with the hardware they supply you're stuck with it, even if you're a business customer (google "Puma 6"). If you don't get the speeds you're supposed to, you'll probably not have any luck getting it fixed. You'll get a reference number and a review date. At the review date, nothing will change, and you'll get another review date.

It's a shame that in many areas VM have a monopoly on "superfast" broadband.
Virgin Media cable, A&A ADSL. OPNsense router.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10