Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Speed issues with AAISP  (Read 21623 times)

Craig

• craig.sans.am
Re: Speed issues with AAISP
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2018, 01:39:52 PM »

@craig - can we have a recap - I got lost, and also I started talking about sotonsam’s numbers.

I've attached the output from `adsl info --stats` on my Billion router.

In control.aa.net.uk; my rate is shown as 79.0M and Line Options (Rate) is set to 100%.

GEA Service Test
Code: [Select]
Test Description = GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Diagnostic Code = GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000, Sync Status = In Sync, NTE Power Status = PowerOn
Down Sync = 79Mbps, Up Sync = 20Mbps
REIN = Not Detected, Bridge Tap = Not Detected
Test Outcome = Pass, Main Fault Location = OK

Download speed from SamKnows (WhiteBox), Speedtest.net, fast.com and thinkbroadband all tops out at 67.7Mbit. AAs speedtester shows 72Mbit (but we know that's inflating numbers by 6%).

I've been speaking to some other AA customers on their IRC who have been experiencing issues as well (Hi Davec!)

Cheers,
Craig
2 x AAISP FTTC (bonded) // Vigor 160 + 130 // EdgeRouter 4

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2018, 01:50:56 PM »

I've also been speaking to some AAISP customers who have also noticed similar. Here is the out from my GEA:

Test Description = GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Diagnostic Code = GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000, Sync Status = In Sync, NTE Power Status = PowerOn
Down Sync = 77Mbps, Up Sync = 20Mbps
REIN = Not Detected, Bridge Tap = Not Detected
Test Outcome = Pass, Main Fault Location = OK

I don't really think we need to look at TCP payloads/G.INP or go into that sort of detail, I think that'll just end up overcomplicating it. (I'm on ECI, so don't even have G.INP, so that's not in the equation) The general noise from multiple people on TT Backhaul is that something is going on. It's odd that we all get similar throughput as well, mine never goes above 68Mbps on a speed test, just like it's hard set.

I contacted AAISP as I wondered if I had a lower bRAS profile set, but apparently there are no bRAS profiles on the TT Backhaul so that can't be it.

Again though, given that I was getting 50-52mb throughput before, I find it hard to moan to much....! But there does seem to be an issue for sure, which does raise the question as to if there is any point in paying for 'premium'.
Vodafone FTTC 80/20. ECI Cab.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2018, 06:30:35 PM »

If sufficient (A&A) customers request to be taken off the TT backhaul, as something is clearly not right, then perhaps A&A will actually take notice.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Craig

• craig.sans.am
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2018, 06:41:31 PM »

If sufficient (A&A) customers request to be taken off the TT backhaul, as something is clearly not right, then perhaps A&A will actually take notice.  :-\

Do they offer the BT backhaul with all their packages? I’m on their 1TB Home, and thought that was only available on TalkTalk.

Either way, I’ve been talking to RevK privately about this - I’ll keep you updated if anything materialises.
2 x AAISP FTTC (bonded) // Vigor 160 + 130 // EdgeRouter 4

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2018, 06:51:10 PM »

. . . I’ll keep you updated if anything materialises.

Thank you.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2018, 09:10:33 PM »

Moving from the old TT network to the new saw my TBB speed tests drop from 73 to 67 Mbps, with unchanged sync speed.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2018, 09:46:02 PM »

>that'll just end up overcomplicating it.

Well, if someone, I do say 'if', someone else maybe is mixing up tcp payload rates and sync speeds then they are not comparing like with like, and so speaking the truth requires necessarily complicating it. Much as people would sometimes like to ignore vital details and not have to think about them, doing so just means they will lead themselves into error.

`in each case, the question must be asked, what exactly is the figure that is being quoted referring to. And the speed testers do not say.

That does not invalidate what you are saying though!

From your numbers it seems that your speed is too low to be explicable by such confusion though. And I am in agreement that something needs to be looked into.

I am no help, because I am on BT not TT, have ridiculously low undemanding speeds and am also a ‘premium’ customer. I also have the issues of TCP subsystems interaction with IP bonding to consider, and there may be some loss of throughput because TCP receivers do not like packet reordering.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2018, 09:47:32 PM »

Very keen to hear the answer anyway. I am sure you will keep us informed.

I started off thinking this was about speed testers. It has turned into something much more besides.

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2018, 10:35:45 PM »

Do they offer the BT backhaul with all their packages? I’m on their 1TB Home, and thought that was only available on TalkTalk.

Either way, I’ve been talking to RevK privately about this - I’ll keep you updated if anything materialises.

Yes, the 1 TB package is now available on BT - https://aastatus.net/2484  You can also now bond a 1TB TT line with a lower quota Home::1 line (something I've just started doing - a 1TB TT line and a 200GB BT line - the quotas balance automatically between the two lines).

Glad to hear you've been talking to RevK - good escalation!

jdigz777

• Just arrived
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2018, 07:44:12 AM »

I'm having this same issue of sync speed being 80mbit and seemingly only able to get 68Mbit throughput on Uno/Xilo on the TTB backhaul. BT line in same property is fine at 75Mbit

andrew-AAISP

• ISP Rep
    • aa.net.uk
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2018, 12:46:49 PM »

Hey,

I recently moved from Plusnet to AAISP, nothing on my home network has changed and I still use my Billion 8900ax-2400. But on the 12th May between 13:00 and 19:00 something happened which has caused my download speeds to decrease by 5Mbps. This isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but it's annoying considering the speeds I used to get.

After contacting AA they have said that this is most likely due to "congestion on the open internet" as speedtest.net and fast.com always appear to top out at 67Mbps, but their http://speedtest2.aa.net.uk/ shows ~73Mbps... I've attached line stats and a screenshot from Sam Knows, anyone have any advice on what I can do?

I'm looking in to this - happy to hear from other customers having similar issues, and also those with us on BT circuits who are/are not seeing issues. Email our support@ address FAO Andrew.

I have an iperf server that customers may test against - email in for info.

Thanks.

Andrew
A&A

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2018, 01:52:23 PM »

I am pleased that someone from AA has replied to the thread.

I remember when Plusnet used to do similar but don't anymore so the fact that AA do means that is a positive when I weigh up options at contract renewal with my current provider Plusnet.

Back on topic is TalkTalk accidentally limiting to the new average download speeds that were brought in a couple of months ago instead of the maximum 80/20?

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2018, 02:23:08 PM »

I remember when Plusnet used to do similar but don't anymore so the fact that AA do means that is a positive when I weigh up options at contract renewal with my current provider Plusnet.

i believe plusnet changed their policy so that their staff only participate (in an official capacity) on their own (flawed) forum.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2018, 03:15:15 PM »

Hi

I'm looking in to this - happy to hear from other customers having similar issues, and also those with us on BT circuits who are/are not seeing issues. Email our support@ address FAO Andrew.

I have an iperf server that customers may test against - email in for info.

Thanks.

Andrew

I'm with Uno but using TT backhaul and see the same capping to maximum speeds and overall poorer speeds on single threaded downloads, if you think it's worthwhile me running a test to prove/disprove this is a wider issue with TalkTalk backhaul, let me know, as symptoms seem identical.

Regards

Phil

jdigz777

• Just arrived
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2018, 04:19:02 PM »

Hi

I'm with Uno but using TT backhaul and see the same capping to maximum speeds and overall poorer speeds on single threaded downloads, if you think it's worthwhile me running a test to prove/disprove this is a wider issue with TalkTalk backhaul, let me know, as symptoms seem identical.

Regards

Phil

If you could raise this with Uno as I have Phillip so they can look into it as we are both having the same issues.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

anything