Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cityfibre Assign Development Boss to FTTP Broadband in Aberdeen  (Read 1428 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/06/cityfibre-assign-development-boss-to-fttp-broadband-in-aberdeen.html

Fibre optic network builder Cityfibre has appointed Allan McEwan to be the City Development Manager for Aberdeen in Scotland, which is set to benefit from a joint £40m project with UK ISP Vodafone to deploy a new 1Gbps capable Fibre-to-the-Home (FTTH) broadband network by around 2021.

Allan McEwan said:

“This is a hugely exciting time to join CityFibre as it prepares to start work on its rollout of full fibre internet and I am delighted to be playing a key role in bringing this transformative infrastructure to the people of Aberdeen.

I want to ensure that everyone across the city is aware of the potential benefits of full fibre connectivity, not only to businesses but also to residents. I will be working closely with Aberdeen City Council, who have been hugely supportive of our plans, and developing additional opportunities and ensuring our community engagement programme is as robust as possible.”

Rob Hamlin, Commercial Director of CityFibre, said:

“Allan’s knowledge of Aberdeen is first rate and I can think of nobody better placed to lead the roll out of our ‘Fibre to the Premises’ programme, which will see CityFibre invest £40m into the city. He will be a huge asset, helping Aberdeen to harness the positive impact this investment will have on the city’s digital future.”
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Cityfibre Assign Development Boss to FTTP Broadband in Aberdeen
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 02:43:58 AM »

Who is the actual ISP? (CityFibre only wholesale don’t they?)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 11:00:06 AM »

I think its Vodafone that will be selling it.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 02:59:34 PM »

This is a real nightmare though and something ought to be done about it - a monopoly of ISP choice is really unhealthy. I don't know that any public money went into this, but still it is still a big opportunity lost to the people of Aberdeen and to small ISPs. Someone in government ought to be made aware of this pattern. I wonder how.

If there is no public money in it then unfortunately it's up to CityFibre what they do, but that is not good enough. There needs to be some carrot/strong incentive given to these developers to get them to wholesale. I would be pretty mad if I were in Aberdeen. in fact it has already happened in my village and the surrounding area.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 03:02:31 PM by Weaver »

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 03:22:21 PM »

I live just on the outskirts of Aberdeen.
I first read about this in February or March where I think I signed up to show interest in it. I'm not too sure if it will even reach out as far as us though (8 miles outside the city).
I believe Glasgow and Edinburgh have had Virgin fibre for many years so it would be good to catch up to a certain extent.
I've heard of some g.fast pods being deployed in the centre of Aberdeen recently but not many.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 03:57:23 PM »

In York I think Cityfibre may have been sold through three ISPs.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 04:28:37 PM »

To be fair, I don't think I would sign up to virgin from past readings about them.