Computers & Hardware > Networking

Pfsense - IPv6 TBB monitor not working

(1/3) > >>

Jon21:
Hi,

I've just set up a Pfsense router, using one of the Qotom Q355G4 mini pc. I've managed to get the basics setup. I'm getting an IPv4 and IPv6 address. My TBB monitor is working for the IPv4 address but not for the IPv6.

In firewall rules, I have a rule that is:

Action: Pass
Interface: WAN
Address family: IPv4 + IPv6
Protocol: ICMP
ICMP subtypes: any
Source: any
Destination: any

Probably missing something, as I am a noob to this  :D

jelv:
A common mistake is to try to set it up with your PC's IP address and not the router's.
If you do a tracert to an IPv6 address (e.g. Google's DNS - tracert 2001:4860:4860::8888) the first hop will be your router's IP address.

skyeci:
you probably need to select "icmp ipv6" on protocol.. It's working on my Opnsense setup this way. see my stats

Jon21:

--- Quote from: jelv on June 14, 2018, 12:39:18 PM ---A common mistake is to try to set it up with your PC's IP address and not the router's.
If you do a tracert to an IPv6 address (e.g. Google's DNS - tracert 2001:4860:4860::8888) the first hop will be your router's IP address.

--- End quote ---

That's sorted it, thanks. I had what I thought was the full IPv6 address as the address to monitor, which worked fine when I setup the monitor for the Asus router I was using, but doing the tracert gave me the full IPv6 address for the new router.

Chrysalis:
missing key info.

you setup in floating or wan category?

You want to allow icmp for all your ipv6 addresses not just the pfsense box ip, reason is its a requirement for mtu discovery to work properly, either allow all icmp, or these types.

echo reply
echo request -> these 2 for pings, blocking pings isnt really useful security, but harms diagnosing problems
parameter problem
time exceeded
packet too big
destination unreachable

http://ipv6-test.com/ tests icmp connectivity

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version