Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Website breach, card blocked  (Read 963 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Website breach, card blocked
« on: June 13, 2018, 09:29:58 AM »

One of my cards stopped working, transactions suddenly declined, so I called the bank.   Apparently there is already a letter in the post to me, containing a new card.   Visa (not the bank) had restricted the card, because it had been legitimately used in the past, for online purchases from a website that later turned out to have been compromised.

Anybody ever experienced this?   I'm not (too) worried about any fraud on my account, the bank talked me through it and it seems there's nothing out of place.  But I'd like to know what was the affected website? My bank don't know, as Visa don't tell them.   That particular card is only rarely used online, and on just a small handful of websites, any of which big enough to make national news if compromised...   ???

If you've read this morning's news then Dixons might spring to mind, but I don't think that card would ever have been used for Dixons (or any of their pseudonyms).

Jasonkruys

• Reg Member
Re: Website breach, card blocked
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 09:58:57 PM »

Yes - same thing happened to me with Barclaycard last year. The difference being they called me up, explained their concern and said they would like to cancel/reissue my card if I was happy with that. Of course I did, I imagined declining might compromise any future claim of fraud.

Again wouldn't tell me what website or shop.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 02:39:42 AM »

Janet had some dodgy transaction in Russia on her card. Have you ever been to Russia? No way!

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 07:54:29 AM »

I have never been to Russia. :)

But the bank seemed quite clear, it was just the fact that the card had been used on a legitimate, but compromised, website.   

Part of me thinks they are doing a good job, another part of me thinks they are just covering their own backs, despite the hassle and embarassment they cause when a card is cancelled.

Yes - same thing happened to me with Barclaycard last year. The difference being they called me up, explained their concern and said they would like to cancel/reissue my card if I was happy with that. Of course I did, I imagined declining might compromise any future claim of fraud.

That sounds better.   And I think you were right to agree, but at least you were spared the annoyance of a rejected transaction, and the not-inconsiderable time talking to the call centre to work ouy why.

Them again I am not sure what, if anything, a bank could do when calling me, to persuade me the call was genuine?  They haven’t called me in years but I have always refused to answer their security questions when they did call, maybe I’m listed as being awkward/uncallable. :D

anything