Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: IPv6 - where are we now?  (Read 14007 times)

spring

• Reg Member
Re: IPv6 - where are we now?
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2018, 09:50:07 AM »

What if someone decides to DDoS the static IP user? I think it should be a choice, preferably from an online control panel. Limits are okay but not being permanently locked to one IP & having to call support for it to be changed.

I'm happiest with dynamic, my IP lease is over as soon as I disconnect from WAN. True, any good capability can be used to do bad things, at least I don't  :-\
Because of IP logs, I'm not sure dynamic IP is harder to catch. Rather, it renders single IP bans useless, as you said, and requires an IP-block ban that blocks any user from that ISP.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:16:14 AM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2018, 10:02:46 AM »

I'm with you. Up until recently I had a static IP and although never DDoSed it irked my that I was basically leaving an indelible impression everywhere I visited. Much happier now being one in a crowd.

I know NAT is evil to some people but the idea of every device on a home network having a unique IP makes me nervous.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2018, 11:00:11 AM »

What if someone decides to DDoS the static IP user? I think it should be a choice, preferably from an online control panel. Limits are okay but not being permanently locked to one IP & having to call support for it to be changed.

I'm happiest with dynamic, my IP lease is over as soon as I disconnect from WAN. True, any good capability can be used to do bad things, at least I don't  :-\
Because of IP logs, I'm not sure dynamic IP is harder to catch. Rather, it renders single IP bans useless, as you said, and requires an IP-block ban that blocks any user from that ISP.

Static ipv4 you may be screwed although on sky you can turn static on/off on a whim, I think you can on plusnet also, with ipv6 is the prefix that be static not the ip itself, you could simply get a new ip from your prefix to your device.

Of course I have to ask I am curious, why was you DDOS'd as a home user? You got into an argument with someone in a place where your ip is visible?

Whatsapp, twitch, forums, youtube chat etc. all hide end user ip's from non admin's.  IRC networks using modern ircd server's also mask ip's now days.

Dynamic IPv4 is a "bit" harder to track the customer from authorities, as isp's have to check logs, but UK isps are required by law to keep this data available, so it only makes it a "bit" harder.

The IP footprint from a static ip, well if you browse this site kitz knows your ip, however if you browse say tbb, she doesnt know ip's from that site, so for someone to say track a user based on ip's across the world wide web would find it extremely difficult.  Much easier is if someone uses the same user id everywhere then track the username instead.  A large entity like google tho could track pages visited from say google search and across things like youtube.  I would say the most dangerous thing for worry of been tracked from an IP is if you use a DNS server that logs query requests.  Google DNS probably the best idea google ever came up with for tracking people.

Avoiding been tracked via a static ip isnt overly difficult, use a proxy, vpn, trusted DNS server, although these type of things can also be tracked also in different ways but at least its not using your home ip.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:17:10 AM by Chrysalis »

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2018, 01:44:00 PM »

I've been DDoS'd once this year or last year, dunno how or why; and it came out of the blue, so not an argument. Surely some connection that revealed the IP, maybe a torrent one. Changing IP solved all the lag.
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2018, 11:01:27 PM »

so ironically you probably wasnt even the target maybe older user of ip was or it was just lag and not ddos

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2018, 12:22:42 AM »

I don't understand how we are supposed to configure certain firewalls ACLs and so on without static and therefore quotable IPs. If a firewall had ithat could return values by referring to their named sources and then apply operators to them then that would work, but I do not know if firewall designers are going to go to that much trouble.

I would just vote with my feet for sanity, who needs the inconvenience.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2018, 08:54:11 AM »

IP's get tracked so are dynamically calculated when rules created. Firewall designers have already gone to that trouble, consumer routers all already do this hence supporting dynamic ip's, and open source like PFSense are already capable as well, else I would have no firewall on my sky ipv6 prefix.

An ISP with say 10 million customers approaches a vendor, I want 10 million units, these are the requirements, the vendor is just going to nod, 10 million units = nice order.

In addition a lot of firewalls I have configured have rules with dynamic values, modern firewall's use aliases, tables etc. to support such practices.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:00:28 AM by Chrysalis »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2018, 09:14:30 AM »

Firewall designers have already gone to that trouble, consumer routers all already do this hence supporting dynamic ip's, and open source like PFSense are already capable as well, else I would have no firewall on my sky ipv6 prefix.

In addition a lot of firewalls I have configured have rules with dynamic values, modern firewall's use aliases, tables etc. to support such practices.

Good to know. Mea culpa.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2018, 10:34:47 AM »

I understand where you coming from, like you said typically you enter a fixed ip in an ACL.  The sort of thing a home worker, a business would require, but the average home user watching netflix? probably not, so its different markets.  Hopefully in future BT and sky will changed to long lasting prefixes and commit to keep assignments to segments of their network permanent.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2018, 04:11:41 PM »

You can now add me to the list. Native IPv6 with IDNet. It took a bit of time because they told me that they use DHCPv6, and I should enable that option in the router. However, to get it working I had to disable that option.
  Eric
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything