Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Conduit in the house  (Read 963 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Conduit in the house
« on: June 12, 2018, 05:10:01 AM »

I am kicking myself that I didn't lay conduit runs in various places in the house when I gutted it as part of a total renovation from soil to stars back in 2001-2003 so that I could later pull ethernet cable through using string left in place.

Has anyone run very high grade ethernet cable (stiff, >1Gb double-screened copper ethernet cable or fibre optic cable) in an old house?

There is wood panelling everywhere, no plaster at all and effectively no internal brick walls. There are plasterboard ceilings in two rooms downstairs. One room, the music room/north lounge, has no cavity above its ‘ceiling’, and when you look up you are just seeing the underside of the floorboards that make up the main bedroom floor, plus big beam joists going across, so it is all open.

I wonder if one could make something into a feature rather than trying to hide everything associated with network cabling. Perhaps a very attractive large (-ish) diameter conduit to take cable. Don’t know what that might be made from or what such a thing might look like so as to count as really attractive. Or perhaps a false, hollow beam but that could get really awkward and could easily look very naff. Any interior designers plus cunning engineers and electricians, all rolled into one person, or ready to join together as a team, out there?

Deathstar

• Reg Member
Re: Conduit in the house
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 01:45:10 PM »

You could always go for the industrial look.
That way you could use conduit and metal clad boxes?
VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Conduit in the house
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 02:09:22 PM »

I think Mrs Weaver would go postal, as our friends in the USA might say. It is an old house and although it has all been renovated it was kept in a very traditional style in a way, with wood panelling everywhere as many houses were, to keep the wind out and for more warmth as all the bare stone is very cold.