Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zyxel VMG3925-B10B - BT and Youview - All internet works, except IPTV  (Read 5312 times)

jeeb

Hi There,

Been trying to setup my VMG3925-B10B router up for BT and youview.

Currently, I have setup my router, it has Internet Access and the boxes are connected to them. The YouView boxes have internet access, an IP Address, and can even use the apps, such as NetFlix, BT TV etc, with no issues.

Unfortunately, however, my internet channels are not working.

I have enabled IGMP and MultiCast, and they are all present and set, but it still wont pick up internet TV. I include a copy of my config file from the router, if its any help, but I cant see why TV wont work, the YouMax states there is internet connection, the apps work...

Any Advice? or is this the wrong area to ask in?

I Include screenshots of each of the settings pages, in order to try and see if anyone can spot something I havent?

I have uploaded it to my google drive as I cannot find a local upload option for a zip file, when I have 52 images...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vRiA3m-D-46Iyu4wi8GFBILL0WZumODn/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

Sorry, what do you mean by ‘internet channels’? :-)

You are in the right place and I am sure someone will be able to help you out.

And welcome, if I haven't said it already!

If some services work and others don't it could be because they use different protocols. One live (approx) TV service may well be using IP multicast. Or it could be using who knows what, there was a recent thread where I myself asked about how for example BT’s TV services work.

You might have a ‘VLAN’ setting somewhere in your router setup/config settings relating to the DSL  connection, and it might be an idea to dig around to see if you can see that and check that it is as the ISP says it should be. It may not be there, so don't think you are going mad if you can't find it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 09:32:01 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

I believe IGMP is rather fussy and that for the VLAN tagged as 101 the 802.1p parameter needs to be set as 1.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen

Try the suggestions on this post

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15784.msg293831.html#msg293831

or this post

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17709.msg322615.html#msg322615

Sorry, what do you mean by ‘internet channels’? :-)

Youview internet channels (provided by BT TV, Talktalk TV, Plusnet TV) use Multicast, not the more commonmy used Unicast.
On Demand works but the internet channels just refuse to play.

Routers require IGMP v3 and Multicast support. It can be awkward setting up some non ISP routers.

Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

spring

• Reg Member

Am I right to question whether MLD & default gateway is missing a tick here?

Also, disable UPnP and NAT-ALG.

I believe IGMP is rather fussy and that for the VLAN tagged as 101 the 802.1p parameter needs to be set as 1.
Google says yes all over :baby:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:18:34 AM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

jeeb

Hi guys and thanks for your replies:

@Weaver: I refer to the Internet Broadcasted "Extra Channels" - things like Discovery, Nat Geo, Kids Channels etc (none freeview / aerial delivered). All the IPTV channels are failing. I configured the VLAN to 101 as required and defined in BT threads. That said, I can access the likes of the Netflix, BT On Demand Video streaming applications installed on the box.  I have had a look at those threads, and started a seperate thread in the BT Youview chat, with the same details and screenshots. The only thing I can no longer find on the interface, though appears in a config file - appears to be removed from the firmware - "Enable Concurrant WAN", so I tried creating a new connection bridging the VDSSL and ETHWAN.

Also, thanks for the welcome.

@burakkucat, I will try to put the 802.1p to 1 and see if it makes any difference. Is this in a particular location?

@spring, I wasnt sure as I dont believe BT use IPV6 on my router, but also I use only IPV4 on mine. As for the query of 802.1p I have already tried this, and it didnt work, but I did change other settings - as you say, google says it all over - so I tried it and it wasnt successful.

Thanks for your ongoing thoughts!

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen

This topic may also be of help: https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=15784.0
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

jeeb

Followed that one as well @tubaman, thanks for your suggestion though.

johnson

• Reg Member

@burakkucat, I will try to put the 802.1p to 1 and see if it makes any difference. Is this in a particular location?

As for the query of 802.1p I have already tried this, and it didnt work, but I did change other settings - as you say, google says it all over - so I tried it and it wasnt successful.

Sorry if I'm not following along, but have you changed this setting or not? You ask where to put it, then say you have already changed it. Its under Network Settings -> Broadband -> VLAN. I dont know for sure but I would assume it requires a resync to take effect.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Zyxel VMG3925-B10B - BT and Youview - All internet works, except IPTV
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 12:54:25 PM »

So it is all about getting multicast going, it seems. An ISP with clue might come in useful at this point but some will just tell you to go away if you are not using their standard or even mandatory modem-router.

A bit of a side issue:

If you get IPv6 from your ISP now then I would absolutely definitely get it set up and use it in preference as you will have an easier NAT-free life. You might need some magic runes from your ISP as I don’t know how they choose to deliver info such as your IPv6 prefix - ie tell your router over the network what address block has been allocated to you - or whether it is a static IPv6 prefix (hopefully!) and you can just enter the right value into your router, configuring the address range manually so no concerns about methods of delivering the info as you already had it. Ditto with info about DNS servers delivered over who knows what mechanism, as there are several possibilities. I have used IPv6 for a long time and I just configured all the right numbers into my router by hand.

Some of the big ISPs are finally waking up and beginning to deliver IPv6 to their users.

jeeb

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 02:25:25 PM »

Thanks Folks,

@Johnson, I haven't yet, at work and need to test it as soon as I can.

@Weaver - Agreed, I tried to ask BT, but they are very much of the "pay for the Home Hub 6" attitude.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 03:05:58 PM »

BT users’ forums might be useful too if you get stuck, but there are definitely people here who really really know this stuff. I cannot help because I know nothing about BT, their multicast TV system or this model of modem-router, so I am as much use as a chocolate teapot.

[My ISP, Andrews and Arnold (aa.net.uk), doesn't deliver multicast over the public internet (although not the same thing). AA has thought about it and asked customers about it but no-one is asking for it.

I use Netflix, Youtube and Amazon video (plus very occasionally Apple’s whatever it’s called store) for TV programs and movie downloads, on my big iPad, and I don't ever use a telly. My dear wife has a big telly and a Freesat box and this provides us with a huge amount of extra bandwidth because BBC / ITV / C4 and so on are not eating my pay-for-what-you use DSL internet connection. But I am in bed all day every day.]

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 10:22:44 PM »

I've noticed you are using Wireless rather than Wired on the group interface named YouView, if you do then by all means necessary, disable Enhanced Multicast Forwarding in the wireless page, and after doing so shut down all network devices and then back on.

Code: [Select]
[Post Ive written prior to realizing Wireless might be used to connect the YouView and recalled Enhanced Multicast Forwarding is enabled by default on a VMG1312-B10A]

I was just going with the flow on the MLD tick according to the screenshots :)

It can be many things though that's true, hope the sneaky cause is found.

The sure way would be trial and error on this and other devices, and may be off-putting for some xD

If the PPP connects without dual stack then I would backup the config, then try configuring all the router for IPv4

Edit: You might have to use an older firmware for Con-current WAN.
Odd fact: Disabling IGMP sometimes make IPTV work.

Is it possible to create a bridge? Someone said it made it work, I'm wary that I'm imagining impossible things :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:53:07 PM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

jeeb

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 09:39:10 AM »

Thanks for your reply @Spring, I cant find the enhanced multicast option, but the youview boxes are connected wired, not wireless. Which page were you referencing? I need to correct this!
Pages: [1] 2