Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My connection had been down for 6 hours, fault or planned?  (Read 2963 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
My connection had been down for 6 hours, fault or planned?
« on: June 11, 2018, 03:09:48 PM »

I woke up this morning to see my hub was orange. After firing up my computer the browser connected me to the hub and it did some checking the configuration and connection then said to call a number.

I called the number to be told that a fault happened, they know what caused it and are working on it. The eta was 6:47pm (so from when it was reported at 8:50am it would have been down for 10 hours).

I had called the BT status line early on and there was no mention on the area codes that there was a fault, nor was there any ongoing faults on the Zen status page.

But I did notice my area code was listed on a planned maintenance job for tomorrow, estimated at 7 hours with full outage.

Is it possible they moved the job forward one day? as my broadband came back up at about the 6 hour mark?

The Maintenance Reference: PW115180449

I'm not sure if thats Zen's code or OR's.

I remember when ISP's used to email people if there broadband was going to be down.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: My connection had been down for 6 hours, fault or planned?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 05:17:26 PM »

I get tweets, SMS and email (all optional) within seconds when there is a problem with any of my lines, because they are PPP LCP-pinged (as opposed to ICMP-pinged) every few seconds to test they are really functional.