Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sunbather  (Read 1070 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Sunbather
« on: June 12, 2018, 09:48:16 AM »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Sunbather
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 10:46:00 AM »

Cheeky! :)
  Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 01:46:16 PM »

Actually my wife Janet thinks they could be feeding him to make him tame. She says she sees that there is a taped-off region of the beach to keep people a little bit away from him so he is not disturbed.

The local seals love it if you sing to them, it attracts them. They come nearer and keep popping their heads up out of compelling curiosity- what on earth are those land people doing? Of course they like rocks that have become hot, or anywhere that is fairly dry and then they just soak up the warmth. There are two beaches where we see them at times, the beautiful sandy Aiseag Maol-Ruibhe beach at Breacais looking across to the Applecross peninsula hills on the mainland, that beach is between Broadford and the Skye Bridge. And the other one is the stunning so-called Coral Beaches at An Claigeann, north of Dùn Bheagan castle, made of crunchy white calcified something or other, not coral I believe, not sand, like petrified rice krispies. Skye has four (at least) really great beaches but Harris and North Uist are in a different league, beyond wonderful, as regards spectacular vast beaches, there are no words really. I have not seen seals up close when I have been on the beaches of the Western Isles, for some reason.

I had something in the back of my mind and now I remember, “An Claigeann” means “the skull”, as in the childrens’ rhyme “Buailidh mi ’sa chlaigeann thu. Chaorainn, a chaorainn, cnagaidh mi ’sa cheann thu!” - I will hit you on the skull, O rowan O rowan, I will whack you on the head.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 02:06:54 PM by Weaver »

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 02:15:35 PM »

I've only ever seen the odd seal in the water during many visits to the Western Isles.
When we lived in Moray (Banffshire in old money) one could almost guarantee seeing them swimming and lounging on the rocks just east of Portgordon, west of Buckie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqM4SvnO7Fc

Agreed absolutely about the amazing beaches of Harris and North Uist.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 02:26:44 PM »

Indeed I think there might be a lot around the Black Isle. A friend of a friend was an ecologist and had to go out in a boat every day counting the beggars, which was well nigh impossible if you ask me as they look rather similar and keep bobbing their heads up and down, so the figures were probably garbage. He might have been on the lookout for other species as well - I can’t recall as it was over 25 years ago. The sane thing to do - it now occurs to me - would be to photograph the whole lot with one or more synced panoramic or wide-angle cameras and then count them afterwards off the photos, but that would have required a certain level of clue.

St3

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 02:31:45 PM »

haha that is cool
Intel i7-7700K @ 4.5G ghz
16GB HyperX Fury DDR4 @ 2133 mhz
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Black Edition

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 08:30:31 PM »

:D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker