Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Odd fault  (Read 897 times)

Chris P Duck

• Reg Member
Odd fault
« on: June 09, 2018, 10:19:58 AM »

Apologies for the long back story...
I moved back to BT with some intrepidation a couple of years ago when fibre became available. I signed up to "option1" which was 40/10. Then we got a free upgrade to 56/10.
Next, we got a free upgrade to infinity 2 (80/20) speeds because line rental went up. Cabinet is close so I connected at 72/19. All was fine.
The contract had to be renewed recently, sales rep said we could stay on infinity 1 but would still get infinity 2 speeds due to previous upgrade.
Contract day came and surprise surprise we went back to infinity one speeds. Cutting out the numerous back and forth with sales and support the solution was we had to recontract to infinity 2 at a reduced price to get the speed back. When that kicked in we went to 53/20.
Lots more back and forth, it seemed a BT retail issue with how they set the package up.
A second openreach home visit saw us with a new card in the cab (same stunted speed) then after some wiring changes between the cab and our house we The engineer was alsended up with 70/20.
The engineer was also the local REIN guy and he identified a source of noise which he says had been causing the issue (he demonstrated this with a radio at 612 khz). which is why he altered the wiring, he said he had done something to move us away from the source. The noise source is still there, heard clearly on my car radio.
Now the question smile
How come the speed was not being affected by the REIN prior to BT retail recontracting us? Seems odd to me!

BTW, a great engineer, gave a bottle of wine when he came back the next day to collect the driver he left in the garden :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 10:25:08 AM by Chris P Duck »
FTTC 80mb/20mb |  Infinity2
Exchange- Colwyn Bay WNBC | ISP BT
Ping ms 21
Download Mbps 68.15
Upload Mbps 18.56

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Odd fault
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 09:53:35 PM »

Now the question smile
How come the speed was not being affected by the REIN prior to BT retail recontracting us? Seems odd to me!

Hmm . . . Perhaps it was there but was not coupling so strongly into your circuit. Early attempts at resolving the lack of synchronisation speed had disturbed the cabling configuration thus allowing the pre-existing REIN to couple more strongly into your circuit. Does that make any sense? I'm not too sure.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything