Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: My ADSL in Wales  (Read 10305 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
My ADSL in Wales
« on: June 08, 2018, 07:00:33 PM »

Hello from (fairly) sunny Wales!

My phone and broadband (with Plusnet) were enabled a few weeks ago, and as expected the speed is poor.  That said, it's been reliable and so far hasn't disconnected or given me problems.

An Openreach engineer had to come along, the line wasn't connected at the cabinet (he said), and I took the opportunity to get him to move the phone socket to the living room (it was in the kitchen).  So I know it's a good connection and there's no rogue extensions anywhere, just the one new NTE5C socket.

My stats :

Code: [Select]

5 - Mode                ADSL
6 - Uptime:             0 days 00:17:58

UP/DOWN
7 - Data rate:         448/1920
8 - Maximum data rate: 616/2080
9 - Noise margin:     10.0/7.2
10 - Line attenuation: 31.5/57.5

I've fitted a MK4 filter faceplate, and fiddled about with some different wires, but these stats are pretty stable and I couldn't seem to get any improvement.  I'm just a long way from the exchange.  :(

There's a useful campaign to improve broadband speeds in Wales, Superfast Broadband Wales https://beta.gov.wales/go-superfast and their site FAQ had a question regarding the very situation that I'm in - Broadband area, but no capacity.  It suggested I email them, which I did, and today I received a reply that said, basically, it was a case of waiting, but that my address has been forwarded to someone (unsure who!) which implied I was now on a waiting list.   :fingers:

My neighbour has 40mb fibre, so here's hoping!

Other news is I've been mad busy sorting everything out, everyone I've met so far has been really friendly, the scenery here is wonderful, and I've been planting lots of flowers in pots and troughs and containers to brighten up the garden that's all paving slabs.  I'd have set up gardencam again, but a) I've been very busy and b) 448 upload speed is not ideal conditions for running a self-hosted website.

Ian

ps if anyone has any thoughts as to what I might try to squeeze a little more data speed out of the line, I'm happy to hear them, but I'm resigned to waiting for the extra capacity to be available.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: My ADSL in Wales
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 07:07:43 PM »

Congratulations on the move to your new home. I hope the shed will be happy with its new garden.  :)

What modem/router are you using? Your mention of 448 kbps US tells me that it is using G.992.1 mode. Assuming the device can be so configured, I will recommend that you set it to G.992.3 mode.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 07:23:09 PM »

Congratulations on the move to your new home. I hope the shed will be happy with its new garden.  :)

What modem/router are you using? Your mention of 448 kbps US tells me that it is using G.992.1 mode. Assuming the device can be so configured, I will recommend that you set it to G.992.3 mode.

Thanks for the quick reply!

It's a Plusnet branded Sagemcom 2704N, quite a basic little router, and from what I can see from the web interface, doesn't let you change all that much, even in "advanced" mode.  I can't see anywhere to change what mode it's in.

The "helpdesk" screen (where I can see the line stats and a few other bits of info), states that I'm in ADSL mode.  But as this router can be switched to "fibre" mode, I'm unsure if that's what it's telling me, or if it means I'm not in ADSL+ mode etc.

I shall try out my Huawei HG612 3B soon, since that gives me more useful stats and I think gave me a bit of extra speed over my previous TalkTalk router at my old place.

The shed is still in a friends garden, in pieces, but I'm hoping to get it here soon.  There's *just* enough room for it, but I've got to dismantle a very rotten smaller shed first.

Ian

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 08:27:45 PM »

Your mention of 448 kbps US tells me that it is using G.992.1 mode. Assuming the device can be so configured, I will recommend that you set it to G.992.3 mode.

If that sets it to ADSL2 only, all it will achieve is that it will fail to connect if the exchange only does ADSL1.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 09:28:24 PM »

There's a useful campaign to improve broadband speeds in Wales, Superfast Broadband Wales https://beta.gov.wales/go-superfast and their site FAQ had a question regarding the very situation that I'm in - Broadband area, but no capacity.  It suggested I email them, which I did, and today I received a reply that said, basically, it was a case of waiting, but that my address has been forwarded to someone (unsure who!) which implied I was now on a waiting list.   :fingers:

That certainly sounds like crossed wires to me.
It would only be an ISP that would be able to place you on a waiting list for FTTC. This is done during the ordering process.
I don't know of any ISP's that use the waiting list now though as it's a pretty awkward and not very automated system.

It sounds to me like you've been put on a list to be contacted when any additional capacity is added. I can't see how a BDUK project could place you on the FTTC waiters list.

Do you know if it's an ECI or Huawei cabinet that serves your premises? If it's an ECI it will need a whole new cabinet. If it's a Huawei then it could also have a High Density expansion fitted.

Your best bet is to check the broadband availability checker daily to watch for the cabinet switching from waiting list to available.
This can happen at any time when a single free port becomes available. Shortly after placing an order for FTTC the checker switches back to a waiting list.
This is without a doubt your best chance of getting an FTTC service when your cabinet is at full capacity.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 06:50:03 PM »

That certainly sounds like crossed wires to me.
It would only be an ISP that would be able to place you on a waiting list for FTTC. This is done during the ordering process.
I don't know of any ISP's that use the waiting list now though as it's a pretty awkward and not very automated system.

It sounds to me like you've been put on a list to be contacted when any additional capacity is added. I can't see how a BDUK project could place you on the FTTC waiters list.

Do you know if it's an ECI or Huawei cabinet that serves your premises? If it's an ECI it will need a whole new cabinet. If it's a Huawei then it could also have a High Density expansion fitted.

Your best bet is to check the broadband availability checker daily to watch for the cabinet switching from waiting list to available.
This can happen at any time when a single free port becomes available. Shortly after placing an order for FTTC the checker switches back to a waiting list.
This is without a doubt your best chance of getting an FTTC service when your cabinet is at full capacity.

I'm not sure what happened, but thanks for the nudge - I have just tried the Welsh gov availability checker and it now says I can get fibre at my address, up to 49.57mb.  Previously (about a week ago, and prior to emailing the Welsh Gov website) it told me there wasn't capacity.

I checked on the BT Broadband website, and it is now offering to sell me an up to 59mb package; again this wasn't offered before, just ADSL.

When I tried to upgrade my package with Plusnet online, it won't offer me anything else.  So I'm currently in a queue for their phone support to see what's happening...

I don't currently know what type of cabinet I'm connected to as I've not found it yet!  I've seen several cabinets with a number close to my cabinet number, but not my actual cabinet number yet.  I'm imagining it's down a side street I've yet to go down.

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 07:07:56 PM »

Having spoken to Plusnet customer support, their system says I can't have fibre!  Yet BT broadband site and Welsh government site, which previously said there wasn't capacity, are now saying there is capacity.

gah! >:(

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 07:20:34 PM »

We really need to know the name of the local telephony serving exchange and the primary cross-connection cabinet number . . .

Perhaps, when the moment is ripe, you could send a PM to our special agent, Black Sheep, and ask for his assistance?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 07:24:08 PM »

BT wholesale checker ( http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput ) shows this for my house :

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 59.4 40 14.7 9.9 36.3 Available --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 49.6 32.1 12.7 6.8 25 Available --
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available --
ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2 -- 1 to 3 Available --
ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 1 to 2.5 Available --
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available --
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available --
Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available --
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available --

whereas before it stated

VDSL Range A (Clean)   61.3   42.4   15.8   10.1   39.6   Waiting list   --   
VDSL Range B (Impacted)   51.9   32.4   13.6   7.1   27.3   Waiting list   --   

so why can't Plusnet sell me a fibre connection?

Ian

Iain

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 07:26:01 PM »

Using your phone number should give more accurate results.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 07:28:45 PM »

We really need to know the name of the local telephony serving exchange and the primary cross-connection cabinet number . . .

Perhaps, when the moment is ripe, you could send a PM to our special agent, Black Sheep, and ask for his assistance?  :-\

I shall do!  I don't want to keep troubling him with my woes though.

I wonder if Plusnet's system is a bit out of date, and if I call again early next week, it'll be available?  Though the support guy said they used the BT checker (although didn't say which one).

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 07:35:55 PM »

Using your phone number should give more accurate results.

Hmm, if I put the phone number in, it's not showing me FTTC at all.  Previously, the address checker stated "waiting list". 

Ian

Iain

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 08:25:05 PM »

That will be why PlusNet say you can't have FTTC - PN will use the DSL checker and your phone number, as will any ISP that use BTW broadband.
I don't suppose it says you can get FTTP - and not the On Demand type?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 08:36:25 PM »

Sounds like a database issue where your phone number and address aren't matching.

If you check the Plusnet website when not logged in, trying your address and choosing a new line, I'm pretty sure it would tell you Fibre was available.

It may only be a single free port that has become free rather than additional capacity being added. If that's the case as soon as someone places an order it will go back to showing "waiting list".
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 09:25:27 PM »

Is the OP talking about 'fibre' = copper (ie FTTC) or actual FTTP which is fibre optic cable, not copper?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4