Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: My ADSL in Wales  (Read 10301 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: My ADSL in Wales
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 10:03:48 PM »

Is the OP talking about 'fibre' = copper (ie FTTC) or actual FTTP which is fibre optic cable, not copper?

A G.993.2 service over a metallic bearer from a cabinet based MSAN (configured as just a DSLAM). I.e. VDSL2 or FTTC.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 11:43:58 PM »

I went out and had a look for my cabinet, and found it - down a side street that I'd not had reason to go down, hence not finding it before.

I've attached some pictures for those who were asking what type of cabinet it is; perhaps it can be identified for me.

What's apparent, though, is that there's very recently been work here.

1st pic is my cabinet.  It's sitting in some very fresh tarmac.  The pavement has been dug up for a few metres to 3 BT inspection covers in the ground - these have also clearly been lifted very recently.

2nd pic is the cabinet that is just around the corner to cabinet 6.  The tarmac here looks older.

3rd pic is a cabinet a little way further on, which is also sitting in fairly recent tarmac.

So I'd suggest extra capacity or modifications have recently been made.

What does the team think?  And what's the smaller box to the left of the cabinet in the 1st picture, also numbered 6?

Google street view, most recent is 2012, shows only the one cabinet where number 6 is, and no other boxes nearby.

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 12:35:13 AM »

The good -- IMG_20180609_194853.jpg shows the primary cross-connection point (PCP) with a G.9700/1 (G.Fast) pod, containing Huawei electronics, attached at its left hand end.

The bad -- IMG_20180609_194956.jpg shows a "fibre cabinet" equipped with an ECI Hi-FOCuS Mini-Shelf M41 MSAN (configured to operate as a DSLAM).

The good -- IMG_20180609_195031.jpg shows a "fibre cabinet" equipped with a Huawei MA5603T MSAN (configured to operate as a DSLAM).

Are there any "slug trails" of fresher tarmac linking the latter two cabinets with the first, the PCP?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 01:00:42 AM »

Assuming that the primary cross-connection point is SWFBX P6 then MagentaSystems CodeLook returns this page.

Taking one line at random, we see that for SWFBX P6 --

"FTTC Available from 6th February 2014, being expanded by July 2018"

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2018, 01:37:39 AM »

Wandering around Ferndale, Mid Glamorgan, with the aid of Google's Street View, I finally came across what I believe to be SWFBX P6 outside 3 Dolgwilym Street.

The ECI M41 equipped cabinet will be in Brewery Road, just before the bus stop, whilst the Huawei MA5603T equipped cabinet will be further along Brewery Road, past the bus stop.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 04:24:56 PM by burakkucat »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2018, 09:39:19 AM »

Excuse my ignorance, and/or poor memory ..... was it yourself Ian that I informed a few months ago, about where all the plant ran, the Cab, distances, etc ???

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2018, 09:42:36 AM »

The good -- IMG_20180609_194853.jpg shows the primary cross-connection point (PCP) with a G.9700/1 (G.Fast) pod, containing Huawei electronics, attached at its left hand end.

The bad -- IMG_20180609_194956.jpg shows a "fibre cabinet" equipped with an ECI Hi-FOCuS Mini-Shelf M41 MSAN (configured to operate as a DSLAM).

The good -- IMG_20180609_195031.jpg shows a "fibre cabinet" equipped with a Huawei MA5603T MSAN (configured to operate as a DSLAM).

Are there any "slug trails" of fresher tarmac linking the latter two cabinets with the first, the PCP?

Thanks for the reply and info.

The cabinet in the third picture (near the bus stop, as you rightly worked out!) is sitting in fresh tarmac, and there is a line of fresh tarmac running back towards cabinet 6, though it doesn't go all the way along - I think it stopped near another inspection cover, but I'd have to go back and check).

My assumption here is that the two BT lookup pages (address vs phone number) are out of synch in some way (as suggested by j0hn earlier) .  It looks like extra capacity has recently been added, BT Broadband and Welsh gov broadband website now tell me I can get fibre (previously they said I couldn't) but BT wholesale phone lookup says no whereas address lookup says yes.

I wonder how to proceed?

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2018, 09:44:43 AM »

Excuse my ignorance, and/or poor memory ..... was it yourself Ian that I informed a few months ago, about where all the plant ran, the Cab, distances, etc ???

Yes it was, and thank you for that useful info.  It confirmed that cabinet 6 is where I'm connected, which I went out yesterday and located in the above pictures.

At the time of our earlier conversation, I think we concluded that the existing cabinet was full, confirmed by welsh gov website that told me there was no capacity but more was being added when I did an address check.

Ian

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2018, 10:03:15 AM »

Ah right .... many thanks for the feedback, thought I was going slightly bonkers for a minute !! :)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2018, 10:16:54 AM »

Ah right .... many thanks for the feedback, thought I was going slightly bonkers for a minute !! :)

It's ok, and I'm not going over something you answered a while back either - this was a new development.

Back in March, I tried to get broadband, but couldn't - area is served, but no capacity, as you confirmed.

Last week I did an address check, which still told me only ADSL was available to me.

Yesterday, I did another address check and was told FTTC was now available, speeds of 49.57 or 59 depending on the site I looked at(!), so I tried to order it from plusnet, who told me it wasn't available.  ???

Ian

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2018, 05:16:55 PM »

You could try other ISPs, who some have clue, and it does not cost anything to ask.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 03:11:16 AM by Weaver »

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 01:01:36 PM »

Put your HG612 and try setting it to 3dB down stream.
I us DSLstats >Configuation>Advanced Tweaks to set it.
On my long line I get a bit more out of it and seems stable.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2018, 07:18:25 PM »

This evening, I've put my HG612 on the line instead of the locked-down Plusnet router.  It means I can now monitor it with DSLstats, as I used to do at my old address, and I've gained a little more info but it didn't overall achieve much.

Down/Up speeds are still 1920/480.  Noise margin and attenuation pretty much the same.

It is connecting in G.DMT mode, if I try to force it to anything else, it won't connect at all.

The bitloading seems as expected, tails off smoothly due to line length, nothing else major - I lose 2 bits to radio 4 LW and there's a gap at tone 64 (276Khz).  Tone 83 (357.9375KHz) is the only tone with an odd issue - it's only carrying 2 bits, neighbouring tones have 7 bits each.

I will try Tickmike's suggestion later of lowering the Noise margin target - I used to do this at my old address for a bit of extra speed. 

Meanwhile, the address database vs phone number database still show discrepancy between availability or not of fibre.  I've posted to the plusnet forum to see if anything can be suggested there.

Ian

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2018, 07:19:43 PM »

Try set target SNR margin to 1 dB.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2018, 12:01:45 AM »

A few quick updates here, I've had lots to do away from the computer.

Tweaking the target SNR gives me asmall increase in speed, but anything below 5db SNR significantly increases the error rate and makes things slow down, I'm assuming lots of retries/resends/lost packets.  So generally I've left this alone now.  (Curiously the SNR is stable, doesn't bob up and down much).

I had a response back from Openreach and from Plusnet, confirming (ambiguously) that "demand is high" in my area, possibly suggesting that it's lack of capacity at the exchange that's now holding me back?  Is that possible?  There's new equipment installed at my cabinet, but still no capacity due to exchange issues?

I've found plusnet forum very helpful through this, better than TalkTalk and broadly I found their forum support to be good in the past.

No further progress though, but at least it's still working.

If you read my occasional blog, you'll know I'm battling distant-neighbour or stray cats who mess everywhere there's a hint of soil, which has mostly occupied my time recently!

Ian
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything