Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A config uploading  (Read 1132 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A config uploading
« on: June 08, 2018, 01:30:16 PM »

I recently had some problems where I (thought I had) uploaded a config file but the contents of the config file did not seem to have taken effect.

For one thing, when you hit the upload button in the web GUI, there is a progress indicator that gives no percentage-done or anything reassuring but just goes on and on and on for I don’t know how many minutes. I am not even sure that it is a finite wait?

I think I have always lost my patience after an eternity and have first tried hitting refresh in the browser or have assumed that it is done and have then gone off to some other page in the web GUI. If you hit refresh after a long while, I can't remember what you then see, but I think it just looks like it is done.

However, I suspect that it isn't ‘done’ at all. If you go back to the configuration ie save / load config page then what then happens is that after a second or so it comes up with a message and starts rebooting. This takes an absolute age too, something like two minutes [!] and only after a reboot does the new uploaded config get put into effect.

So watch out. Make sure you see a reboot after you upload a config file.

Don’t try making changes and saving it after an upload - like I just did - until after a reboot otherwise the saved second config might well be based on the really old config state for all I know.

I would be grateful if others could confirm my experiences of the GUI behaviour. Are you seeing the same things?

spring

• Reg Member
Re: ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A config uploading
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 01:37:44 PM »

Nope 15-30 seconds for me but I haven't text edited the config.

I think you should try uploading the pre-generation v14 config twice [once, then after it reboots another time], that came with the v14 firmware zip, and see whether that's the reason.

Edit: What browser was this on? Try Chrome or if you did then Firefox.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 02:43:59 PM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 02:45:42 PM »

Just to make sure we are clear, I was talking about uploading the XML config file, not an o/s image. But I presume you knew that. It was just in case there had been a miscommunication.

This behaviour is observed on an iPad with Safari. Actually, a thought: I will just try disabling my Safari ad-blocker.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 02:50:13 PM by Weaver »

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 07:18:17 PM »

Just to make sure we are clear, I was talking about uploading the XML config file, not an o/s image. But I presume you knew that. It was just in case there had been a miscommunication.

This behaviour is observed on an iPad with Safari. Actually, a thought: I will just try disabling my Safari ad-blocker.
I mentioned the config because it could also be, if it doesn't happen on just 1 device. Firmware archives from Zyxel have a .rom file that is a copy of the configuration loaded on a reset.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 07:31:38 PM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

anything