Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flash emergency patch  (Read 3859 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Flash emergency patch
« on: June 08, 2018, 08:49:24 AM »

Just in case there are any of you left allowing this stuff to run - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/07/flash_emergency_patch/

Adobe has kicked out an out-of-band update for a security vulnerability in Flash – after learning the bug was being actively exploited in the wild by hackers to hijack PCs.

The Photoshop giant said today its Flash Player 30.0.0.113 update should be a top installation priority for Mac, Windows, and Linux systems.

One of the vulnerabilities addressed in the patch, CVE-2018-5002, is a remote code execution flaw stemming from a buffer overflow bug. Computer security experts believe the flaw is being exploited right now by miscreants to commandeer victims' PCs.

If you are allowing it to run freely: stop. Now.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-53/product_id-6761/Adobe-Flash-Player.html

If you're running a browser that handles Flash Player updates automatically follow its instructions - in the case of Chrome this would be going to chrome://components/ and if you don't see Adobe Flash Player - Version: 30.0.0.113 clicking to check for update.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Flash emergency patch
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 12:27:52 PM »

I suppose one can just delete Flash? I never installed it on my own machines but some of my customers begged for it, so I just made certain that their machines got updated automatically and checked very frequently that they actually were getting updated.

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 01:33:05 PM »

Yeah it's for flash games or very old websites mostly.
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 05:23:01 PM »

One alternative if someone has a small number of Flash sites or Flash games that they need would be to run up a VM, or not so good run an alternative web browser too that does have Flash in it.

I think running Flash nowadays is total madness though because the rewards are very probably negative not just non-existent, since Flash is obsolete and anyone who goes with it does not care about the web but would rather bypass it and also doesn’t care about the loss of countless gazillions of iDevice users, employees and all the other users who refuse to or cannot run Flash. If one has a very good reason and ones web browsing habits are very restricted and your machine is extremely hardened (with SRP and a split-privilege / low-privilege browser and every single one of the requirements I have mentioned in other threads), then I suppose the risk is small but then just run it in a VM anyway.

I simply can’t believe that this volume of crappy code is still out there full of buffer overflows. Why on earth are they not all double-checked, by asserts and a multiple review process?

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 06:05:21 PM »

Yeah it's for flash games or very old websites mostly.

BTW Performance test ;D
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 06:42:07 PM »

It is correct to be afraid of flash, and if you can’t avoid it then make sure it’s updated.  But be cautious with those updates.... just because you are offered a flash update, don’t assume the answer is always ‘yes’.

The only malware my own household (carefully chosen words, I didn’t say ‘I’) has suffered in recent years was a border line legal fake AV thingie, on one of the Macs.   Relatively harmless and easily removed, but it gained entry by masquerading as a fake flash update that popped up when visiting some compromised website.  ???

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 09:10:57 PM »

There are some non-flash perf testers around, I tried to track down every one I could find for my iPad

anything