Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Plusnet Forum  (Read 16978 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Plusnet Forum
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2018, 06:40:25 PM »

I didn't think it would cost much to host a domain and basic forum, ive done so myself in the past.

it doesn't, but when you get lots of traffic then thats when the costs can ramp up.
the hosting is the easy bit, it's the traffic that isn't.

St3

« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2018, 06:59:37 PM »

Yes i know about traffic
Intel i7-7700K @ 4.5G ghz
16GB HyperX Fury DDR4 @ 2133 mhz
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Black Edition

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2018, 07:15:29 PM »

Yes i know about traffic

then you'll know that the costs can increase quite quickly.
it's not just about the hosting.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2018, 07:29:28 PM »

Despite well meaning intentions I think a lot of people vastly under-estimate requirements.   :(

As an example about 10 years ago Plusnet did offer to help out by offering me extended free webspace (it was before I moved to BE so whenever that was)...  I think that lasted about a month and until one day my site traffic took their server down so had to look elsewhere PDQ. It was no secret at the time - nor was the fact bandwidth was more than they anticipated and the ensuing result as some people found it amusing I'd managed to do so, but no fun for others hosted on the same server either as I was the culprit for their site being unavailable.    Traffic has grown a lot since those days.     There's a resume here.

Can't win, try to save money on hosting and I do get complaints about server slow-downs.   Show ads and get complaints about them despite me trying to keep them to an absolute minimum.    Ad-blockers have killed me so like so many other sites may have to do something about that.

Yes I could save money by using non UK hosting and I'm on a fully managed package...  but I want to keep it that way.   I'm not a server person - site admin takes up all my spare time as it is...  so less stress for me to get them to be in charge of most things and I just phone up and say "Can you do this please" - which they do  (except for SSL which they class as a bolt-on with additional fees).   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2018, 07:39:11 PM »

Anyhow that aside.   I thought the discussion was supposed to be about Plusnet forums, not these forums.

I'm not biased towards them, I don't push them nor say they are the best.  I deliberately keep out of discussions such as this in order to remain impartial.    I only chipped in about GDPR because that is a topic that had recently taken up a large amount of my own time.   If anything if anyone does ask I think you will find I have repeatedly said their CS has deteriorated.

As far as I'm concerned subject about this site/forum is now closed.  Please do feel free to go back to the actual topic which is Plusnet.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2018, 07:58:57 PM »

Anyhow that aside.   I thought the discussion was supposed to be about Plusnet forums, not these forums.

indeed it is

I'm not biased towards them, I don't push them nor say they are the best.  I deliberately keep out of discussions such as this in order to remain impartial.    I only chipped in about GDPR because that is a topic that had recently taken up a large amount of my own time.   If anything if anyone does ask I think you will find I have repeatedly said their CS has deteriorated.

the suggestion that there was any bias was never made.

rongtw

« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2018, 10:38:07 PM »

Thanks KITZ yes lets get back track :)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]