Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Plusnet Forum  (Read 16973 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Plusnet Forum
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2018, 08:02:25 AM »

the irony is that you only have to look at the primary sponsor of this site! (if indeed they actually pay to have their logo in a prominent position of the home page).

This site does NOT have a sponsor. It's funded by the owner, together with donations and a small amount from advertising. The ads at the top of the index page are Google ads, and no company pays kitz to have their ads prominently displayed.
  Eric

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2018, 08:04:09 AM »

the irony is that you only have to look at the primary sponsor of this site! (if indeed they actually pay to have their logo in a prominent position of the home page).

You have no chill. You begrudge this excellent (mostly self funded) forum some advertising money because of this outlier case... what?

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2018, 08:19:34 AM »

This site does NOT have a sponsor. It's funded by the owner, together with donations and a small amount from advertising. The ads at the top of the index page are Google ads, and no company pays kitz to have their ads prominently displayed.

the comment was tongue in cheek.  but i see i nipped at a raw nerve there!
but is the plusnet logo that is top right on the homepage an ad served by google?

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2018, 08:20:17 AM »

You have no chill. You begrudge this excellent (mostly self funded) forum some advertising money because of this outlier case... what?

again, tongue in cheek, but another one where a raw never has been nipped?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2018, 08:26:14 AM »

but is the plusnet logo that is top right on the homepage an ad served by google?
No, it's a direct referral link.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2018, 08:29:26 AM »

No, it's a direct referral link.

thought that was the case, but roseway was suggesting it was a google ad.

anyway it's neither here nor there. i just found it ironic that here we are slagging off plusnet when this site prominently advertises it  ;D

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2018, 08:31:47 AM »

If the forums are an optional extra how come when you use the search on https://www.plus.net/help/ are a lot of the prominent results (and sometimes the only results) shown under "Answers from our Community"

@rongtw Have they totally blocked you or do you have read only access to the forums?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 08:38:43 AM by jelv »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2018, 08:38:06 AM »

Ok looky at what features most prominently when you select Help and Support on Plusnet's Facebook page.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2018, 08:47:59 AM »

@rongtw Have they totally blocked you or do you have read only access to the forums?

it'll be that if you want to view the forum you need to log out.
if you log in then it'll say you don't have permission to view.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2018, 08:53:22 AM »

A good wheeze would be for rongtw to contact them via phone or chat about a problem where we know they will just say "we don't support that - ask on the community forums"!

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2018, 08:59:34 AM »

again, tongue in cheek, but another one where a raw never has been nipped?

Ah fair enough, couldnt infer that from the post... I blame pre caffeinated posting.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2018, 09:41:52 AM »

@chenks - I am not sure I get your point. I have seen a PlusNet ad, but I don’t see the significance of that other than being a coincidence. Kitz was or is a PlusNet user and so she knows all about them. I think I recall that she said she was looking around with a view to,perhaps going elsewhere but I don’t recall what happened in the end.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2018, 10:00:05 AM »

Having been involved in the Kitz forum since the earliest days, I'm more aware than most of what it has cost her over the years to maintain total independence and the ability to provide unbiased information. So the suggestion that Plusnet sponsor the site does not go down well, even if it was tongue in cheek.
  Eric

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2018, 10:23:47 AM »

.If you are unhappy with them then you should go to a decent ethic ISP. That is how you stick it to them, by depriving them of revenue.

ISPReview will give you an idea of what users think. And you can ask here for recommendations. Plenty of people here will be able to give you a straight answer of whether their own ISPs are any good or not.

But if you stay with PusNet and keep giving them money then it means that you are sufficiently happy with them that you are not willing to make a move. Only you can know what you want to do about it. Right now you are just talking to the wall, because they have stopped listening to you. A well-organised ISP will migrate you in a few days with zero downtime.

Don't forget he's in contract, which has six months to run, if he left now PN would be laughing, perhaps he can get out early if there are any price rises.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2018, 11:03:11 AM »

Having been involved in the Kitz forum since the earliest days, I'm more aware than most of what it has cost her over the years to maintain total independence and the ability to provide unbiased information. So the suggestion that Plusnet sponsor the site does not go down well, even if it was tongue in cheek.

maybe "sponsor" was the wrong word to use, but as Plusnet are the only ISP to have a specific logo and link on the home page it's an easy assumption for a lay person to make.

however, at no point did i suggest anything was "biased".

but we are digressing from the point of this thread, in that plusnet are a shambles of an ISP.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7