Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Serving (slightly) better stats directly from Zyxel modems  (Read 11126 times)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
Re: Serving (slightly) better stats directly from Zyxel modems
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2018, 07:38:24 AM »

Sorry, I was thinking more about the stats collection from it. It's on his line and going now so can't exactly take it away :)

Got a VMG3925-B10B I'm not sure what to do with though.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2018, 04:23:59 PM »

You could list it on the BB Hardware Swap Shop forum with view to sell, I have used this a few times without any issues, can't see any of this model listed there at present, last one listed, April this year, went for £30 + P&P as far as I can see.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2020, 11:18:05 PM »

Sorry for posting in this old thread however my question is to do with the Stats system.

Is there away to get this to work externally. I have setup the port forwarding for the required port and if i type in the URL on laptop it works without issue however no one externally can view it at all.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2020, 11:49:00 PM »

By ‘externally’, you mean remotely, over DSL? Or just stats at a public, global, routable IP address. If the latter, then the modem config can be set up with whatever admin IP address you like - I just happen to have it set to 192.168.n.1 where n is 1,2,3,4 for each one of my four modems.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2020, 12:09:44 AM »

Sorry for posting in this old thread however my question is to do with the Stats system.

Is there away to get this to work externally. I have setup the port forwarding for the required port and if i type in the URL on laptop it works without issue however no one externally can view it at all.

I fear you mean allowing the stats server to be accessed from the internet at your IP address. I would strongly advise against this as I would for the regular Zyxel GUI interface.

Bots are bots, and open ports get hammered. The Zyxel interface is years out of date and probably has large holes in, and while the mongoose web server that supplies stats from my firmware builds is meant for IoT devices, I cant guarantee its security either.

If you want remote access to stats I would recommend a VPN server (wireguard is fantastic) that you connect to when not on your home network.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2020, 12:47:02 AM »

What Johnson said. That’s a bad idea as you have no control over it. If you really need to access it remotely then configure the modem with an admin IP address that is global/public/routable which means having an ISP that is capable of offering appropriate addressing, and hr. make sure to firewall it appropriately so that only the people you want to be able to access it can do so.

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2020, 12:56:11 AM »

Oops, sorry didn't make it clear, I am not after the Main WebGUI of the zyxel to be on internet, I am after getting port 8000 Statistics page to be on internet as I am using your custom firmware with the mongoose web server for statistics.

It works internally via my DDNS URL however doesn't work for external connections.

I wouldn't forward port the main WebGUI or even telnet or SSH over the internet as I know it's not wise.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 01:01:18 AM by hacktrix2006 »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2020, 01:10:16 AM »

Your router might be able to handle redirecting that ?

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2020, 01:11:15 AM »

Your router might be able to handle redirecting that ?

As I can't PM you it, will have to be vague on setup but hopefully enough for you to get the jist.

Basically I setup the port forwarding like I did.

Now if I use the LAN side and use the DDNS URL I have it works

Firewall/Portforward is set like

External Port: 12345 (Not the port being used)

Internal Port: 8000
Source: WAN
Destination: LAN (IP address to modem)
Protocol: TCP
Hash limit: 60/minute

Now with this setup which was used on my Raspi 3B+ using DSLStats it worked fine however I can't get any external connections to work for the Zyxel mongoose server stats page.

So reason I was asking was just incase mongoose needed more setup or the VMG1312 needed a rule added like the one needed originally for dslstats to work where grouping was required.

Idea is to try and get it working and then when I have issues I can enable the rule so the ISP can see what's going on or if I am heading out for a bit I can have it enabled to keep an eye out on the line.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 01:27:34 AM by hacktrix2006 »

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2020, 02:09:09 AM »

Oh ok, I still wouldn't recommend exposing the mongoose server to the internet, but if its on a different port and you know what you are doing then fill your boots.

I have no experience with punching holes in the zyxel firewall, maybe try exposing 80 for a short time to test?

I assume you are using the zyxel as a full router? If you are using it as a modem with another router there will need to be another layer of jiggerypokery.

Edit: on second read I see it clearly is as a modem, and you are talking about your router settings... I'm scratching my head why that doesnt work.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 02:13:24 AM by johnson »

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2020, 02:19:39 AM »

I am using the Zyxel as a Modem in bridged mode with my Linksys WRT32x with OpenWRT (Custom build / David502) firmware.

Now when i did the DSL-Stats on Raspi 3B+ i used the same settings above but with the address in the signature and i had no issue whats so ever getting it to work externally. However i can't for the love of me get it to work with Modem stats on port 8000, even having it set to port 8000 for source and dest on DNAT it still doesn't work.

Once i have it working it will be only enabled when either ISP needs to see and save the info or when i need to monitor whilst away else it will be off.

I always used different ports so that the internet being the internet will not cause that much of an issue if they try bouncing on SSH / TELNET / HTTP ports etc

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2020, 02:33:18 AM »

Yeah sorry for the confusion.

I honestly cant offer a reason for something accessible on the lan with a properly configured port forward on the router not responding.

Do you have any other systems/services on the network that could be exposed (on a suitably random port) that you can try to connect to from an external connection? Just to prove that those are accessible with the same settings on the router.

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2020, 02:43:10 AM »

Yes basically anything that connects directly to the router LAN port's / USB (using it for webserver), works without issue. However anything thats on the Zyxel to the router is not working. Messing with the iptables now with DNAT and SNAT on modem results in the same issue.

I am using Eth1 on modem to WAN on Router and using Eth4 on modem to Eth1 on Router with the Interface Group ptm0.1 lan1 setup on modem (which was needed for dslstats to work thru router to modem).

in fact if you remove the port from the address on my signature you'll get a basic webpage stating the website your looking for is closed and its being used as a nameserver.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 02:49:18 AM by hacktrix2006 »

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2020, 02:49:48 AM »

Is the Eth4 on modem interface on the same subnet as the rest of your LAN? Or are you using SNAT trickery to get through to it?

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2020, 02:50:57 AM »

Not using SNAT trickery, both modem and router are on same IP range.

Just had a thought, could it be that the mongoose web server setup be taking the modems up as the listening address instead of 0.0.0.0 (which would make it so external iOS could access it).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 02:55:06 AM by hacktrix2006 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything