Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Weird rogue call number  (Read 1327 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Weird rogue call number
« on: June 06, 2018, 09:45:44 AM »

Had a call just now, which I picked up to find it was a trickster on about being compromised. Obviously I cut the call. Then I looked at the number once more, and realised it exceeded the usual 11 digits, being 01165986754562. Any ideas how they did that? Were they pick-a-backing on some legitimate line, may be?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Weird rogue call number
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 12:06:40 PM »

These days it is exceedingly easy to spoof phone numbers so that's what they did. I am surprised that phone companies cannot find a way around spoofing. You cannot rely on caller id today.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 05:55:58 PM »

Stuart :) I'm not unaware of the ease of spoofing, but what I don't understand is what purpose the superfluous digits do to aid their evil deeds. You will know that one generally sees such, if recalling a business with apress this that and the other confuser system.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 05:58:32 PM »

Stuart :) I'm not unaware of the ease of spoofing, but what I don't understand is what purpose the superfluous digits do to aid their evil deeds. You will know that one generally sees such, if recalling a business with apress this that and the other confuser system.

I suspect they dont know what they are doing and just generate a random number!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 11:09:20 PM »

You may have something there. The voice did seem to be that of somewhere south of Ulster. That's sure dublin the chances.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 11:54:44 PM »

I don’t use call blocking apparatus.  With awareness that calller display is so easily faked, I personally regard call blockers as just another scam.

Nevertheless, people do use them and place trust in them, and providers may even offer them as a network service.   By displaying a number that is randomized for every call, the phone scams might have more confidence of getting past the call blocker scams?

Moreover just displaying a number, even a number that is gibberish, will overcome the perceived security that is provided by appuratus that blocks calls with ‘number withheld’.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 10:56:15 PM »

I suspect they dont know what they are doing and just generate a random number!

Stuart
Sounds right.
Some months ago I had a series of spam/scam calls supposedly from 10 digit numbers in the form 01xxx xxxxx.
They do exist in the UK, but there aren't many.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 07:28:16 AM »

I had one of those yesterday. I didn't answer, and they left a message on the answering machine. It informed me that my line had been compromised and all I had to do was press 5 (or something) and they would fix it for me. What a shame I missed such a generous offer.
  Eric

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 03:56:36 PM »

I've just had a scam automated message caller now.

"Your BT Internet connection will be disconnected tomorrow. Please press 1 to speak to an advisor, or press 2 to continue with the disconnection."

I hung up, so I don't think it will get disconnected.... .

The thing is, you know someone will press 1, then get fleeced!
VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 04:24:56 PM »

I'm from Israel and had someone calling an automated with 1-details 2-unsubscribe 0/9-reply, one random day per week usually at ~10 AM-3 PM [more often sunday, in UK terms that's monday - one reason could be to catch old people] for no less than a year before stopping.
If I didn't pick up it would call every 10-30 minutes until evening but before I realized it stopped, I turned my phone ringer off so I don't know if not picking it up anymore was what made it stop completely.
Any number, and I assume # * is sufficient as well.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 04:54:38 PM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.