Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Hails 5000th Adopted Phone Box – Gets Turned into a Tiny Disco  (Read 859 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/06/bt-hails-5000th-adopted-phone-box-gets-turned-into-a-tiny-disco.html

BT has announced that their “Adopt a Kiosk” programme, which was setup in 2008 as a way for communities to retain one of their iconic red phone boxes (instead of having it scrapped), has now seen 5,000 adopted kiosks across the UK and the latest has allegedly been turned into the “world’s smallest night club.”

Obviously this is a bit of a PR stunt since, let’s face it, a night club that can only fit two or three people (possibly more at a squeeze or one Boris Johnson) isn’t particularly practical or useful. Nevertheless the “world’s smallest disco” has been created in Kingsbridge (Devon) and similarly for just £1 other communities can also apply to take over the ownership of a phone box, provided it’s no longer needed as a payphone.

In this case a 60-year old red box in Kingsbridge was “adopted” by the local council and BT has also paid to fit a music system, glitter ball and lighting to help highlight the milestone figure. Instead of making phone calls, the phone box will play records from the 1970s and visitors can listen to that by paying £1 to use a dial-a-disc-type record system (all proceeds go to the local charity @115 which supports adults with learning difficulties).

An interesting way to use old BT phone boxes.

I was trying to remember when was the last time I used a phone box to call someone. I think it must have been in the 90s. It was the phone box next to the local phone exchange. I think it was 50p a minute at that point.

Does anyone else remember their last BT call box phone call?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: BT Hails 5000th Adopted Phone Box – Gets Turned into a Tiny Disco
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 04:19:58 PM »

I suppose it must have been in the late seventies, in an actual red call box as opposed to one of those payphones just hanging on the wall. Back then I would sometimes phone my mum saying I needed rescuing and was wanting a lift home. I never had a mobile phone until around 2004, so I am trying to remember what I did during those intervening years, just used the phone at work all the time or in whatever hotel I was staying in. Never had anyone to call! If I was away, my wife would always be with me, and she is the only person I would need to call.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: BT Hails 5000th Adopted Phone Box – Gets Turned into a Tiny Disco
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 05:22:35 PM »

I last used on back in the early to mid 1990s, when a charge was first applied to directory enquiry calls but not to those made from a call-box!  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything