Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Looking for a ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A  (Read 11801 times)

michty_me

• Reg Member
Re: Looking for a ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2018, 07:00:13 AM »

I'll potter about with the bridge settings a later date. I have saved the link from Springs earliers post on how to setup a Zyxel in bridge mode.
Can someone explain what those numbers are for 0-9 in 802.1p? In my Netgear settings it shows priority 0-9 in the drop down settings so assume it is that and VLan ID is where I would put 101 which is what I assume 802.1q?

Weaver - I can easily load in your config. Will it not be vastly different to my requirements though i.e. ADSL setup, Multi-modem use in your case etc. I'll load it later for a nosey though.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2018, 09:52:46 AM »

Looks like it is 0 and 101 according to an article I found on the Zen website.

https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/ZyXEL-VMG1312-Fibre-Optic-VDSL-Broadband-Setup

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2018, 10:12:15 AM »

Give 1 a shot, what can happen xd, and kitz and everyone here say 1 is most times better. They didn't mention 802.1p, just 802.1q, so Sam didn't say xD

Yeah that config is for learning from Weaver not for using it, but for now it's not the time to load it unless there's something that can't be fixed on your own config [you can post any issues].
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:20:47 AM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2018, 10:43:02 AM »

Ah, I have no idea what priority does. Probably nae much.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2018, 11:15:19 PM »

The priority is a QoS (quality of service) thing: when packets are queuing to be transmitted, the 802.1p priority number should determine which packets should go out first. Highest number goes first, ahead of others. Many many systems do not bother to speak QoS properly or even at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_P802.1p

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2018, 07:10:59 AM »

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'm all ready to plug in and get going. I'll update when I get round to installing.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2018, 06:19:31 PM »

[Just switch off for a minute and ignore the following]
To confuse matters even more, there are three priority marking systems.

1. 802.1p at layer 2 (ethernet) - for use with all kinds of ethernet frames not just IPv4 or IPv6 packets up with other protocols too.
2. With wireless LANs there is a priority system for marking wireless frames called WMM_something eg WMM_BACKGROUND for low priority and various others, important when controlling different things fighting for time on the wireless LAN. Also at layer 2.
3. at layer 3 = IP there is a label called DSCP or DIFFSERV (»differentiated services”) similar kind of thing for indicating the priority of IP packets.

It all gets a bit weird if things are marked with more than one of these things at once. Does the lowest layer’s marking determine what happens ? So maybe L2 markings are considered, and then if L2 markings are equal, then the L3 marking may or may not be considered next?

And apps or operating systems have to somehow decide how to mark PDUs and at which layer or layers do they apply marking? Perhaps someone could enlighten me?

Perhaps in o/s <blah> apps that send eg IP packets find it difficult to specify what kinds of L2 priority marking should be applied to L2 PDUs on wireful ethernet II or wireless 802.11n/a/ac/whatever, because L2 PDUs are one level too many removed, too far down the stack. Could anyone tell me?

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2018, 06:11:12 PM »

All up and running now with the Zyxel. A couple of Mb better max attainable speed but until my line is reset, I won't know for sure what the final outcome is.

On another note, I followed this guide to get DSL stats working.

https://kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm

It works but I then lose the network until I delete the added extra line. I must be doing something wrong.

Edit: Odd, It seems to be running now after I deleted that line and only have the default line in for my connection.

Edit 2: No, Its gone  :lol: after I unplugged my network cable from the PC to the Zyxel.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 06:32:16 PM by michty_me »

spring

• Reg Member
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2018, 08:25:11 PM »

Thanks. Will have a play about with it later tonight or tomorrow.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything