Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Looking for a ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A  (Read 11703 times)

michty_me

• Reg Member
Re: Looking for a ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 09:22:02 AM »

Ok thanks. I'll maybe leave it a while longer. I am wanting to see if the lockup is going to occur again after roughly 30 days.
Is there a sticky thread with individual steps for setting up the Zyxel like there was with the HG612?

spring

• Reg Member
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 10:01:16 AM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 09:57:07 AM »

Fantastic! Thank you Spring!!
I've just been reading through the manual you attached a link to. It seems a very informative bit of writing compared to what I have seen in previous purchases.
One question, On page 84 of the user manual, Would you suggest to disable all ADSL functions and just leave all VDSL and DSL capabilities set to enabled?

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 10:03:13 AM »

I've edited my post too late I guess but there's a screenshot there, I posted some settings that are least to catch your eye, I altered the settings to match yours like PhyR on rather than off like on my ECI, and QoS off since QoS can only be done on the router or between the router and modem [not on the actual modem when it's in Modem-only as opposed to Modem-Router mode].

UPnP can be off with 0 side effects because the router has the firewall set to WAN>LAN block. [upnp also got a port stuck open once on my b10a, but that's in case it wasn't redundant].

Since bridge mode can't tick igmp snooping on the WAN page I think you should set it to off in the LAN page. I think.

There are cases that the firewall being on [should it be on? hm..] prevented static routes from working/being set. so there's that.
Edit: But for bridge mode it is not relevant, since it's router thing. But there's a page about adding it from the CLI when the GUI doesn't work [an example that in special cases you use commands instead of gui]: https://support.aa.net.uk/VMG1312-B10A:_Static_Routes

While at it there's another bug that if in router mode the WAN interface is deactivated, the next time it's re-activated the "Add as Default Gateway" box needs to also be re-ticked.

PPPoE Session-ID caching bug (In Bridge mode)
Issue Description

Last year we had an problem with Huawei FTTC modems, the standard ones that Openreach supply The bug appears to be that the modem manages to "blacklist" some UDP packets after a PPP restart. Typically this affects VPN tunnels. The short term fix is to unplugged and plugged back in!

We now have what looks to be the same fault on the ZyXELs - both on ADSL and VDSL.

When a PPPoE session finishes and a new one starts, ethernet frames containing IP packets with the same source and destination IP and port combination that were used in the previous session are received with the PPPoE Session-ID from the earlier session.

This affects long running sessions using protocols which use the same source port for all communications. This includes IPsec and (in some circumstances) SIP.

Our understanding of this, having talked to Huawei last year to get a very similar bug fixed is that the problem is with the packet accelerator feature in the Broadcom chipset. It is caching frame headers including the PPPoE Session-ID, but not checking if the Session-ID is the same when searching for the entry in the cache for subsequent packets. Unplugging the ethernet cable from the VMG1312 momentarily resolves the problem - that action must trigger a cache flush in the Broadcom chipset.

Possible fixes would be to either not store the Session-ID in the packet accelerator cache at all, or to check the Session-ID in addition to the IP and ports when searching the cache. A workaround would be to disable the packet accelerator.

(Side note for other ISPs looking at this: This does not affect lines that have dynamic WAN addresses, which none of our service do.)

https://support.aa.net.uk/images/7/7b/VMG1312-Menus-Admin.png
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 11:43:15 AM by spring »

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 10:42:56 AM »

Ah brilliant!! Thank you for doing that for me. When I get home, I'll save your screenshots to the desktop and use them as a small guide to assist me with the settings. Now, Lets just hope it gets shipped soon. I've been told today but we shall see!!!

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 10:48:09 AM »

I use it as a modem-router without bridge so you disable DHCP [and add a static dhcp for the router] on the B10A and leave it on at the router.

About static routes, I've seen Weaver adding them, and I'm confused if those are needed for bridge but it seems it's just recommended and not needed.

Code: [Select]
Advantages

Static routing, if used without dynamic routing, has the following advantages:[citation needed]

Static routing causes very little load on the CPU of the router, and produces no traffic to other routers.
    Static routing leaves the network administrator with full control over the routing behaviour of the network.

Disadvantages

Static routing can have some potential disadvantages:[3]

Human error: In many cases, static routes are manually configured. This increases the potential for input mistakes. Administrators can make mistakes and mistype in network information, or configure incorrect routing paths by mistake.
    Fault tolerance: Static routing is not fault tolerant. This means that when there is a change in the network or a failure occurs between two statically defined devices, traffic will not be re-routed. As a result, the network is unusable until the failure is repaired or the static route is manually reconfigured by an administrator.
    Administrative distance: Static routes typically take precedence over routes configured with a dynamic routing protocol. This means that static routes may prevent routing protocols from working as intended. A solution is to manually modify the administrative distance.[4]
    Administrative overhead: Static routes must be configured on each router in the network(s). This configuration can take a long time if there are many routers. It also means that reconfiguration can be slow and inefficient. Dynamic routing on the other hand automatically propagates routing changes, reducing the need for manual reconfiguration.

About the sound of something loose inside the B10A that you might hear when handling it, see: https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,20460.msg357219.html#msg357219
Mine is brand new and came loose.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 11:24:03 AM by spring »

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 11:16:45 AM »

Yes I did read about the rattle which people believe is from the PCB just resting inside. I shall see what my new purchase arrives like anyway. I think I have a good idea on how to set it up anyway going forward now. Thanks everyone!

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 11:28:25 AM »

Well DHCP on the modem off and no static dhcp needed since the router is the one assigning DHCP.

In case you want to have two seperate LANs [if it works on a 1312]: https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=20072.0

Static routes saving issue [context of different subnets but good to know, in case]: https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=20996.0
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 11:56:03 AM by spring »

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 02:01:35 PM »

All I have is one router that covers the whole house and the Zyxel will be modem only, So should be nice and simple for me  ;D

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 06:16:15 PM »

Ok, I have now received my Zyxel device. It is an iTalk branded device. Not too sure if that changes the process for flashing. I assume I have to kill the function for auto updating? It is all still in the plastic seal so never been used.

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 06:26:18 PM »

Do a hard reset and upload standard firmware. Mine was an iTalk device, now all clean and factory.
VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 06:46:56 PM »

What I have done so far is:

-Pushed reset button for 30 sec+ to put into recovery mode.
-Downloaded Johnstons firmware (1312-B10A-from-zyxel-jumboframes-3925adsl_phy.bin)
-Gone into Broadband settings and changed to bridge, VLAN active and left 802.1p at 0, Changed 802.1q to 101 (Is that correct??)
-Followed the rest of Springs recommendations here https://imgur.com/a/3kSM3hb.

Anything else I need to do other than set router up?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »

Log in as "supervisor" and from the "Maintenance --> Configuration --> ROM-D" page, press the "Clean" button to ensure that a pure, vanilla, ZyXEL configuration is being used.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 07:31:29 PM »

Log in as "supervisor" and from the "Maintenance --> Configuration --> ROM-D" page, press the "Clean" button to ensure that a pure, vanilla, ZyXEL configuration is being used.

I'll need to go through the steps of gaining the supervisor password first. Just doing some research

Edit: Do I need to be on a lower firmware to be able to use dumpmd?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 07:43:20 PM by michty_me »

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2018, 08:11:34 PM »

Am I confused or does holding the reset button to wipe clean the device then uploading a bin file not the same? I flashed a config file from AAJZ.14 and all the menus look the same as before or am I missing something here?

This is what I see now

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything