Broadband Related > Broadband Hardware

Looking for a ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A

(1/11) > >>

michty_me:
I'm looking at going back to a two box solution after having issues with my D7000.
Looking through threads, It appears this device is the go to unit.

Weaver:
Very pleased with mine. Have just bought four of them.

Am using them as modems only, so have no experience with router, firewall, wireless etc. Nor experience with VDSL2 usage, but there must be plenty of other kitizens who can comment in that respect.

There are a few on eBay at the moment and I think there is even a new boxed one. Watch out because one that is advertised has no power supply brick so you would have to find something suitable 12V 1A min.

Oh and use our own hero johnson's firmware.

michty_me:
Hi Weaver. Thanks for the heads up. I already put in a bid for the one without a supply but it got declined so just left it.
I have been in contact with someone on Facebook market place and bought a BNIB one for £40, Slipped him an extra few quid for quick shipping too so hopefully that is ok when it arrives.

Anything I should be aware of or special flashing advice (In a link is fine if it is already posted elsewhere)

My line is still banded but has been up for 12 days now. Looks fine as I have 1 ES over that 12 days!!!

Weaver:
@michty_me God, you did well then £40 is more like a sensible price and it's a new one too. Well, done yourself. Is math a rinn sibh. As my next door neighbour might say, when he’s in a good mood, which he always is.

About flashing, it's really easy, no problems with it. An http upload.

In fact if you push something really bad into it and it will not boot afterwards, a bad image file that you chose to reflash with, then you can just do some kind of pin-in-the-hole while drinking a glass of water upside down thing, instructions are in the manual on the ZyXEL website, and up comes a web thing to let you recover and do another upload to put a good image in instead. This is possible because the boot loader detects the doubly special paperclip thing and fires up a built-in simple separate web server, and the boot loader is not overwritten when reflashinf so it is always left alone and safe.

Because yours is new, it won't require something called "clearing ROM-D" which you might read about, which is where ISPs have customised the thing so that when the user selects "factory defaults" it goes back to the ISP's custom defaults not ZyXEL’s.

Burakkucat, Johnson and others know a lot more about it than me.

Johnson has excellent updated custom firmware that allows the use of full-length 1500+8=1508 byte long messages (MTU) and I recommend you use that. A link to Johnson’s image file is in the latter part of the thread about this modem and "MTU".

As regards config files, the config file is in lovely readable XML, although it is extremely long winded. That is just an http upload too. I can give you a config file, if you wish, or you could ask Burakkucat nicely perhaps.

I didn't know about Facebook market place. My wife does the Facebook thing, I will take a look.

The reason I have several modems is that I have three lines plus I always keep spares because of the alarming frequency of equipment damage due to lightning strikes and GPR/EPR due to thunderclouds, given the extreme length of my line and the isolation and altitude.

[Unforgiveable digression: I am actually wondering if mine is the highest house in Skye, it is actually not impossible, now I come to think about it. Made me think, now, so I went off and checked it and I think there is one other place, that is ~20 ft higher up than mine, right up at the North End of the Island, at Geàrraidh on the east side of the Bhatairnis peninsula. I am it seems only a mere 367 ft above sea level. My wife is inconsolable.]

Anyway that is part of the reason for all the lightning, that plus the ~7300m long line length.

michty_me:
Hi Weaver  ;D

I have been reading up on your threads the past couple of days to be honest. Some of which goes over my head but interesting reading none the less!
This is the first time I have used Facebook marketplace so you have to change location around the country and select the maximum distance. I think I may have found the only one on it from what I can see. I initially offered more but the seller lowered it slightly.
I've taken note of the ROM-D which possibly might need done. As far as I can tell, It appears like an unbranded device but I'll know when it arrives.
I've also read about TR-069 (I believe it was called) to kill the auto updates. Is that for ISP branded ones or would an unbranded one require this also?

I shall download Johnsons custom firmware this evening and have everything prepared for its arrival.

If you could give me a config file too, That would be great and very much appreciated! Shall I PM your good self my email address?

I now understand why you have so many modems, It did make me wonder if you were just hoarding them  :lol:

Now off to go and read the MTU thread and download what I need!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version