Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Noise on tone 453  (Read 2000 times)

konrado5

• Reg Member
Noise on tone 453
« on: June 03, 2018, 10:19:44 PM »

Sometimes I have small noise on tone 453. It is noticeable on attached QLN. I've had about week and a half very stable ADSL connection on 1.1 dB snr margin. However, this small noise caused reconnection. What can be source of this noise on this one tone?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Noise on tone 453
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 11:13:21 PM »

Sub-carrier number 453 is centred upon a frequency of 1.95 MHz. In what band plan does that frequency fall? Ah, yes. We've been here before, it's the Amateur Radio "top band" (1.81 - 2.00 MHz). So my suspicion is that it is a licensed transmission or beacon in that frequency band.

How have you proved that signal was the reason for your circuit's re-train? Surely it is just a mere co-incidence? To prove that it causes your circuit to re-train, you need to know the source of that signal and, with the co-operation of the person responsible, arrange to have it turned off and then back on again. If, after a repeated sequences of the above, you see that every time the signal appears your circuit re-trains then you can claim proof.

To avoid circuit re-trains you will need to increase the target SNRM. Try with it set to 2 dB.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 11:29:56 PM »

How have you proved that signal was the reason for your circuit's re-train? Surely it is just a mere co-incidence?
I was observing SNR per tones when I saw increasing CRC errors number. Always II saw notch on SNR graph on this tone.
To avoid circuit re-trains you will need to increase the target SNRM. Try with it set to 2 dB.
It is curious that I have significantly less errored seconds on SNR margin 1.8 dB than on SNR margin 6 dB. On SNR margin 6 dB I have about 100 errored seconds per hour. On SNR margin 1.8 dB I have about 30-50 errored seconds.  On SNR margin 1.8 dB I have slightly lower power output (18.4 dBm instead 18.6 dBm).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 11:55:18 PM »

Over the years, we have all become accustomed to the fact that you have a rather unique circuit in the way that it operates. In theory, an xDSL circuit operating in Poland should be broadly identical to an xDSL circuit operating in, say, Spain or the UK.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 12:37:33 AM »

I start getting errors when I get down to that kind of SNR margin. My SNR did, until changing modems recently, sometimes go rather lower than that, down to 0.8dB or 0.6dB occasionally. This was starting from a supposed target downstream SNR margin of 3dB, but with the older modem model the observed SNRm could be quite a bit lower than 3 dB soon after a resynch.

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 09:19:15 AM »

Sub-carrier number 453 is centred upon a frequency of 1.95 MHz. In what band plan does that frequency fall? Ah, yes. We've been here before, it's the Amateur Radio "top band" (1.81 - 2.00 MHz). So my suspicion is that it is a licensed transmission or beacon in that frequency band.To avoid circuit re-trains you will need to increase the target SNRM. Try with it set to 2 dB.

This is a "SHARED" frequency band, and above 1850 kHz amateurs are restricted in power, i.e. there are other almost certainly more powerful transmitters which will stick to a particular frequency.  Suggest your suspicion is only one possibility.   

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 06:50:54 PM »

Unfortunately xDSL doesn't allow to set different target SNR margin on different tones. It would be good idea to set target SNR margin 6 dB at HAM band and 1 dB on other tones.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 05:10:26 PM »

Now I have wide noise in HAM band.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 10:56:34 PM »

Is that not rather too wide for the HAM band around 136kHz ? That band is really narrow according to Wikipedia.

anything