Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Broadband Boost Engineer  (Read 4399 times)

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Broadband Boost Engineer
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 08:49:58 PM »

The AAISP line is syncing higher presumable due to a lower target SNRM.  It may also have more favourable conditions in terms of quality of the line and crosstalk, someone would need to try and calculate what the line would get on equal line parameters to the infinity line.

The infinity line if you leave it alone as long as its stable should eventually end up on a 3db target as well so the speed would increase.
Both lines are connected to an ECI cabinet. No 3db target margin that I am aware of.

Anyway, looks like the AAISP FTTC connection has finally re-sync'd and took a hit to its sync speed:
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 63141 Kbps

78 Mbps was too good to be true, although it looked like it was doing OK up until that point for errors. Perhaps the modem was rebooted? Because it is showing:
Resyncs:                   0 (since 05 Jun 2018 16:14:49)
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 08:52:50 PM »

Both lines are connected to an ECI cabinet. No 3db target margin that I am aware of.

Anyway, looks like the AAISP FTTC connection has finally re-sync'd and took a hit to its sync speed:
78 Mbps was too good to be true, although it looked like it was doing OK up until that point for errors. Perhaps the modem was rebooted? Because it is showing:

It was stable, but the SNR did hit 1.6/1.7, and it was a little too close to the edge for me. I did a manual reboot to bring it back to a 6db target.

But to prove a point, after It had resynced at 63/64, i killed my BT line and my AAISP attainable jumped back to 84....so I think I've lucked out a little here.
Vodafone FTTC 80/20. ECI Cab.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 09:03:32 PM »

I think my gamble has paid off with my AAISP line though - I've lucked out a bit I think, if I disconnect my BT line my attainable on my AAISP rises to 84Mb, 32mb up. So my 'BT' line is seemingly more susceptible to crosstalk than my new one.
That's interesting. That's a fairly large increase, but nothing outside the extraordinary when two pairs are on the same drop (since a hit of up to 20 Mbps is possible). Perhaps you COULD try to test and see if it was not "luck" (better-than-normal conditions) when you sync'd at 78 Mbps before and actually take both lines offline and just sync up the AAISP alone? If you get the same sync as before, perhaps you just have a better connection on the new pair (and perhaps the newer DSLAM firmware is helping a bit).

So I've contacted BT today and they have confirmed that I am free to end my contract with no penalty as my minimum in contract is 57mb - so I shall be doing that and will then have a single line on 70mb+ with AAISP...!
Possibly a good shout. Now that you have that new connection with AAISP, if you have gone for the 1 month contract you could technically move it to another provider if you wanted. Though, AAISP are safe hands from what I have read so there is no reason to leave (unless want to pick from the bargain bucket of ISPs).

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 09:14:41 PM »

Probably will hold back any more resyncs for a few days! But as I said earlier, I dropped the BT line a few hours ago and saw the attainable rise to the 80s on the aaisp line, so the potential is possibly still there.

Yeah I’m in a rolling 1 month with aaisp. Can’t fault them really, they give me all I need from an isp but at least with a rolling 1 month I have flexibility now should anything change.

All in all I think I’ve got an ok result from all of this!

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 09:21:24 PM »

ok so isnt on a 3db target.

What happens to the infinity line when the AAISP line is turned off?

Looks like the lines are crosstalking with each other.

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 09:25:39 PM »

ok so isnt on a 3db target.

What happens to the infinity line when the AAISP line is turned off?

Looks like the lines are crosstalking with each other.

Good question and something I did have a look at. My attainable on my BT line did increase, but only to about 63Mb. So my BT line looks to be affected by more crosstalk than my new. So it’s been a bit of an interesting unintentional experiment, can really see how big an impact crosstalk can create.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 02:46:03 AM »

It was stable, but the SNR did hit 1.6/1.7, and it was a little too close to the edge for me. I did a manual reboot to bring it back to a 6db target.

My line has been running at around 1dB for weeks perfectly fine. It's considerably longer than your line also.

Max:    Upstream rate = 7563 Kbps, Downstream rate = 45838 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 8070 Kbps, Downstream rate = 51405 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Link Power State:       L0
Mode:                   VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:          Profile 17a
TPS-TC:                 PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):        0.9             4.1
Attn(dB):        24.5            0.0
Pwr(dBm):        13.3            3.2

A new crosstalker has hit another 5Mb off my line, resulting in the very low SNR.

Still, not bad for a 24.5dB attenuation. The line is just over 1000m.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2018, 05:56:43 AM »

My line has been running at around 1dB for weeks perfectly fine. It's considerably longer than your line also.

A new crosstalker has hit another 5Mb off my line, resulting in the very low SNR.

Still, not bad for a 24.5dB attenuation. The line is just over 1000m.
Considering the OP is on an ECI cabinet, I would say an SNR of under 3 dB with no considerable errors is exceedingly good considering the absence of G.INP. Heck, my fairly short line on a Huawei cabinet is probably more prone to errors than his even at an almost constant 6 dB if G.INP was disabled.

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 04:45:15 PM »

Disconnected my BT line now - resynced my AAISP, and straight back at 77/78 sync and attainable.

http://dslstats.ddns.net:55552/index.htm

I think I've been very lucky with this line....

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything