Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DSLStats vs VPN  (Read 1516 times)

grahamb

• Reg Member
DSLStats vs VPN
« on: June 01, 2018, 07:12:00 AM »

Hi Roseway.

I'm running DSLStats and I also have the TunnelBear VPN installed on my machine. Unfortunately, it would appear that neither program gets on with the other, as they appear to fight over the same connection.

I've been having ongoing problems with TB for a couple of months in getting it to create a tunnel and have been in contact with the TB helpdesk for the last three weeks or so, trying to find a solution. It would seem the problem is at my end as I also have the app installed on my daughter's old laptop and that has no problems with the VPN connecting so it can't be the app and it can't be my network. The only difference between the two machines is that my PC has DSLStats installed whereas hers doesn't.

Although I didn't see it when the problems first arose, looking back the VPN problems first started when I installed DSLStats. As I say, the VPN would report that it was unable to create a secure tunnel but I could fix that by fiddling around with Device Manager. The other problem I noticed also was that when TB did eventually connect, DSLStats would report being unable to login to the modem. I'm fairly certain that I've established that DSLStats is causing the problems because if I quit the program, then I can establish a connection with TB. Also, I've tested this by disabling DSLStats in startup and rebooting my PC and the VPN automatically establishes a connection on startup. The situation at the moment is that TunnelBear is working as it is intended to by the developers, ie I turn it on and it connects without any faffing around, but unfortunately DSLStats won't record any data as, for whatever reason, it can't log in to the modem whilst TB is on.

I realise I don't need both programs to run at the same time - if I want TB to work then I could just quit DSLStats before I turn TB on. And vice versa too. However, I would like to know if there is a reason why both programs can't run at the same time and if there's a solution in DSLStats config perhaps to fix it  :)

PS Is this possibly a telnet clash? It's mentioned in your help pages that some modems (I'm using a Billion BiPAC 8800NL in bridge mode) can only cope with one telnet connection at a time and TunnelBear has to do a fair bit of pinging, for example, to find the fastest connection to a server.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 07:19:16 AM by grahamb »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSLStats vs VPN
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 07:25:57 AM »

It sounds very much like a telnet problem, because that's a common reason for DSLstats not being able to log in. If this is the case, then the only solution I can think of is to use a modem which supports multiple telnet logins. Without knowing what TB actually does it's difficult to say any more.
  Eric

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 04:32:58 PM »

I can understand that TB might interfere with DSLStats whilst its on (without knowing how or why, of course) but I don't see how it could happen the other way around. And also, TB doesn't actually have to telnet in to send pings so maybe it's getting in the way some other way?  :hmm:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 07:06:24 PM »

I'm afraid I really don't know.
  Eric

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 08:24:50 PM »

Sorry, it was rhetorical, I wasn't expecting you to know. But it would have been nice if you did.  :)