Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: DSLstats pre-release version 6.5.9  (Read 12026 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSLstats pre-release version 6.5.9
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2018, 04:02:29 PM »

I'll add it to the list. Hopefully I'll be able to resume work on DSLstats soon.
  Eric

99den

• Just arrived
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2018, 03:06:56 AM »

I have this tool (v6.5) running now for some weeks and I found some bugs and issues. I hope I am allowed to report some of them in this thread.

• if there is no DSL connection then time runs fast forward on the charts and it creates some weird graphs* after DSL connection is back
    for example see https://i.imgur.com/1xaNS48.png
  • my line uses vdsl with profile 35b and when I activate "include with bitloading" in the Items to monitor options (the other options "SNR per Tone" and "show as separate graph" activated too), then I get an access violation error
I have these issues also with v6.5.9.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2018, 11:45:12 AM »

Eric has mentioned before he doesn't have the time to add full profile 35b support right now. It isn't used in the UK either so probably not a priority.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2018, 12:20:24 PM »

Thanks j0hn, that's quite right. Also, my computer time is very limited at present because of eye strain.
  Eric

HaTaX

• Just arrived
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2018, 03:45:17 AM »

Quick question and maybe I'm just missing something obvious in the configuration, does or will DSLstats support bonded connections?  I noticed there are options for the command to use xdslctl, xdslctl0, xdslctl1 and my modem (ZyXel C3000z / Century Link) supports all of the commands. Looking at the output it appears xdslctl and xdslctl0 produce the exact same output while xdslctl1 shows different stats for everything above 'VDSL2 framing' portion of the response (everything after that appears to be the same as the other two commands as well).

The reported speed in the status bar only shows one half of the connection along with most of the other stats, if I change the command to use xdslctl1 then I'll see stats for that line and the graphs change accordingly. Not sure if there's a way to run two instances of DSLstats at once, but I suppose that's a way to keep track of each line at least.

Thanks for the app as well!  It's a great utility to keep track of line status and it works perfectly for me at home.  Even if I lose internet my mail server is in the basement so I can still get alerts.  I know my modem isn't supported but it seems to work well with DSLstats as long as I don't enable certain monitoring features.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2018, 07:21:03 AM »

DSLstats wasn't designed to support bonded connections, and to add that support now would be beyond me, I'm afraid. You can't run two different instances of the program on the same machine because they would both be accessing the same set of configuration files. A Linux user could run a second instance by using Wine to run the Windows version on the Linux machine. Or you could run a second instance in a virtual machine or on a different machine, for example a Raspberry Pi.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
  Eric

HaTaX

• Just arrived
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2018, 08:10:34 AM »

Actually that just gave me an idea to run the instances in sandboxie and I can give them both their own config files and workspace.  Not sure how it will work, but it's an idea.  For now I just installed a second instance of it on the other server and I've got each one monitoring a line.

Completely understand that you don't have the time to dedicate to that change, I think it'd probably be a pretty big overhaul in some areas.  Thanks anyway for the application itself!

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2018, 03:42:56 PM »

Good idea, just fire the application up inside a VM.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2018, 04:42:40 PM »

I have 3 VM's monitoring 3 different DSL modems.

I monitor both of my lines, and my fathers via an SSH tunnel - because he doesn't have a machine he runs all the time.

You only need very tiny VM's to achieve this.

Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2018, 10:53:37 PM »

If roseway ever does get the time to make the change, the app could always take a command line parameter to tell it where it to find the config file. It would also have to stop detecting existing running processes of itself, or windows with the same name, or any other active self-detection methods.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2018, 07:12:11 AM »

It's not a matter of available time, I'm afraid. I can't concentrate on a screen for long before my eyes start going funny (like a migraine without the headache), and I'm not prepared to take risks with my eyesight. Any changes I make to DSLstats from now on will be small ones.
  Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2018, 01:06:31 PM »

Oh no, I am very sorry to hear that. My eyesight is shot and I sympathise.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2018, 02:05:08 PM »

(like a migraine without the headache)
I get that from time to time particularly if I'm tired and spending too much time at the computer. I get a zig-zag flashing halo pattern usually in one eye only which thankfully only lasts for about 20 minutes. My optician described it as a painless migraine. It is very disconcerting while it lasts.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 05:17:16 PM by vic0239 »
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

22over7

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2018, 02:02:10 PM »

Same here: my optician (and doctor) called it "silent migraine".  https://migraine.com/migraine-types/silent-migraine/.
It usually comes with stress and overwork.  (Rare since I retired.)
For me, what works best is to lie down somewhere dark for half-an-hour. 
My sight's not great, but my feeling the "light-show" is a "wiring" rather than a "sensor" problem.
I've had some blinding/disabling headaches, but I don't think I've ever had a migraine.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2018, 04:25:23 PM »

Yes, "silent migraine" is the term my doctor used.
  Eric
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything