Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DSLStats - first attempt using it  (Read 5421 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
DSLStats - first attempt using it
« on: May 31, 2018, 02:26:01 PM »

i've installed DSLStats (windows version - on Windows10 Por 64bit).
i've also installed the webgui from kitz.

all running, and it's providing the various stats.
couple of questions.

- does running this have any impact on the connection etc?
- if not, can it be run as a service on windows?
- in the "line health" section in the WEBGUI it's not showing anything for QLN or Hlog even though i've enabled that, just showing the missing image icon.
- i have nginx running on the windows system (for access to my other services from the internet - sabnzbd, sonarr etc etc), can i do the same with the dslstats webgui?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 03:49:01 PM by chenks »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: DSLStats - first attempt using it
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 02:41:21 PM »

chenks- I remembered a tool that would wrap any executable so that it could be run as a Windows service process. I found SRVANY - see https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/137890/how-to-create-a-user-defined-service

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 03:31:57 PM »

@chenks:

does running this have any impact on the connection etc?

There's no direct impact on the connection. DSLstats collects data from the modem by telnet, and most modems take this in their stride. But several models only allow a single telnet access at any one time, so if you want to access the modem by telnet for some other purpose while DSLstats is running, this can cause a conflict.

can it be run as a service on windows?

I can't help with this, but as it's a full GUI program I'm rather dubious.

in the "line health" section or the GUI it's now showing anything for QLN or Hlog even though i've enabled that, just showing the missing image icon.

Maybe I'm being dense, but I'm afraid I don't understand this question. Are you referring to the modem's own GUI?

i have nginx running on the windows system (for access to my other services from the internet - sabnzbd, sonarr etc etc), can i do the same with the dslstats webgui?

Sorry, but I'm not a Windows user and I don't know what nginx is. Maybe someone else reading this can help.

Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 03:46:29 PM »

A service process is the equivalent of a daemon in *nix, if that helps. Services are started on started or shortly afterwards, there is a tool that manages them all. They run under some account or other and their lifetime is nothing to do with any particular user logging in and logging out, so if you log out the service, which you did not start, carries on running. It's been a very long time indeed, so I do hope I remember this correctly. there is a full account at
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_service

A service has certain responsibilities - it is supposed to list out for control messages 9notifications or instructions) from the service control manager and respond accordingly.

Since Vista, some executables may fail if run as services because of new (not very new now) security restrictions on the type of operations that a service is allowed to perform. I don’t know if such restrictions ocan be fixed with appropriate configuration though.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 03:50:41 PM »

Maybe I'm being dense, but I'm afraid I don't understand this question. Are you referring to the modem's own GUI?

i corrected the typos in my original post.
i enabled QLN and Hlog in dslstats webserver settings, however in the webgui those two options show the broken link so are not visible.

Sorry, but I'm not a Windows user and I don't know what nginx is. Maybe someone else reading this can help.

nginx is very common in the unix world too (probably more common there than in windows).
nginx is essentially a reverse proxy.
it allows you to only have 1 port open on your webserver (say port 80) and then re-route all traffic to local services on other ports.

so if sabnzbd is running on port 1234 locally you can route the traffic from 80 on the WAN side to 1234 on the local side and have the service available on the WAN side.

eg www.blah.com/sab will reverse proxy thru to 127.0.0.1:1234
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 03:53:45 PM by chenks »

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 06:42:03 PM »

Unfortunately you can’t run a full GUI program as a service reliably. If the main purpose is to start it with windows, create a schedule task to run the dslstats.exe at logon.

Or use group policy to start the program, (although I’m not sure if that option only applies to Servers).

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 06:47:07 PM »

@chenks: I knew I'd heard of nginx, but it's not something I've ever used or thought about.

Regarding the webserver, QLN and HLog aren't explicitly included in the options, so I assume you've ticked the option "All active graphs"? I'll look into this, but I'll shortly be uploading a new test version, so this will have to wait until later.
  Eric

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 07:02:06 PM »

this is my settings

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:04:27 PM by chenks »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 07:14:12 PM »

I've never tried to do that with group policy. Something new to me. Group policy works on Pro systems not just servers but not one crappy Home systems, where it is nobbled intentionally.

The scheduled task thing is an excellent idea. It would presumably quit when you log out though. If you can set up the service thing successfully, and that is indeed an ‘if’, then that is the way to go.

If all else fails, could always consider running it in a VM, and inside the VM just have it auto-start when the VM boots, then it only remains to choose a convenient way of starting up the VM instance itself. I only suggest this kludge because it might be a way of getting round the service hardening thing, restrictions on the types of operations allowed. But then we have the same question about the VM executable and whether it is service-friendly. This is a nasty plan.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 07:19:40 PM »

@chenks: I understand your settings now. The QLN and HLog graphs should be seen in DSLstats, but they won't show in the webserver because I haven't yet provided that option.

So I'm afraid I'm still struggling to understand what you mean by:

i enabled QLN and Hlog in dslstats webserver settings, however in the webgui those two options show the broken link so are not visible.
  Eric

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 07:36:20 PM »

rememeber that i'm using the kitz webgui.
but for some reason, they are now working - not sure why as i haven't changed any settings.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 11:04:33 PM »

@chenks: I understand your settings now. The QLN and HLog graphs should be seen in DSLstats, but they won't show in the webserver because I haven't yet provided that option.

So I'm afraid I'm still struggling to understand what you mean by:

I think you can set the task to run if user is logged out on the last TAB, not tried that. Also useful to ensure the task runs indefinitely. The Group Policy has always been the best for me as it’s independant of a logon and will start a GUI as if it were a service.

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 08:54:58 PM »

got it working and logging everything that can be enabled.
http://chenks.ddns.net/dslstats/

how do my line stats look ?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 09:46:27 PM by chenks »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 09:22:10 PM »

got it working and logging everything that can be enabled.
http://chenks.ddns.net/

how do my line stats look ?

Nothing "jumps out at me" as an obvious defect, so I'll just say that all looks well.  ;)

In terms of configurations, a profile 17a, G.993.2, service uses a total of 4096 sub-carriers. Your "Bit Loading", "QLN" & "Hlog" plots are all truncated at sub-carrier 800 so we cannot see the "full picture".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 09:23:33 PM »

Should I adjust any settings to sort that?
Pages: [1] 2