Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: iphone4 WiFi Connection Problems.  (Read 8128 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
iphone4 WiFi Connection Problems.
« on: May 31, 2018, 11:55:54 AM »

iphone4 WiFi Connection Problems on Virgin Train WiFi (Free in the First Class !), My wife has iphone 5 she has no problems to get on the internet.
I tried all the usual stuff of Deleting the network setting and starting again, put on 'Airplane' mode then off again, tuning the phones WiFi off then on again, re-booting the phone.

I could 'Ping' the BBC.co.uk so I tried a 'Ookla' Speed test App, but that fails on 'Letency Test'.
I tried at various locations and it is not a network problem as there were others using it in our coach with no problems.
I could get on Virgins Trains (Westcoast) website on board but as soon as I clicked on any part of it it just gave an error 'No Internet'.

I have looked on there web site from home when we got back.
 https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/experience/wifi#13   

Any idea's what to try when we next go on Virgin Trains ?.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:17:15 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: iphone4 WiFi Connection Problems.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 09:13:04 PM »

A newer phone  ;D

Is it required to sign in to use it? Often you can see the providers website without signing in, perhaps your browser wasn't bringing up the login page???

PS There is an Apple Related forum, perhaps this would be better in there.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 11:15:25 PM »

No it did not bring up any login page, as I said if I clicked 'Login' it just said there was no internet !.

Re.''PS There is an Apple Related forum, perhaps this would be better in there.''

I thought that is where I posted it, !!!!!! I think someone has moved it  ??????
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 11:51:29 PM »

Re.''PS There is an Apple Related forum, perhaps this would be better in there.''

I thought that is where I posted it, !!!!!! I think someone has moved it  ??????

Perhaps there was cursor slip at the moment of the left-click? I can see no evidence that this thread has previously been moved.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 11:30:08 AM »

:-[   :)

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 10:48:40 AM »

There can be a problem with iThings connecting to WiFi that uses 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz with the same SSID. I have fixed that on three occasions by renaming one of the SSIDs on the router. That would be tricky on a Virgin Train.

Do you have an option to disable one of the WiFi frequencies on your phone?

Another approach is to update your iOS if you have changes pending.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 11:59:13 AM »

That is interesting pete, I have a number of ZyXel WAPs that have a single SSID published in both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands and have not seen any problems with iPad 4, 5, 6, iPad Pro v1, iPhone 5C and 5SE, Apple TV v3 and 4, iPad Mini 4, Blackberry Z10 and a Microsoft Windows Mobile phone of some sort. So I know it’s an impossible question but I would love to know what to watch out for.

On RevK’s blog at revk.uk he talks about problems with iphones and ubiquiti unifi WAPs.

[Moderator edited to correct typos introduced by an "auto correct" feature.]
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 06:51:38 PM by Weaver »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 02:45:35 PM »

If it should happen again....

I have found problems like this can often be fixed by forcilbly closing and relaunching Safari, it does seem to sometimes get itself into the proverbial “funny state”.   Remember that using the home button only puts it into background, you need to expressly close it, see here...

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201330

However, rebooting the phone should have done the trick too, if that was going to fix it.  Next thing I’d try would be clearing safari’s history and website data in settings, in case there was some stale cookie mucking things up.   Doing so would of course have side effects, such as logging you out of any and all services you may have previously logged into...

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 08:13:41 PM »

@Weaver I had the problems on a MacBook Pro but when researching I found that some iOS and Android devices were also afflicted. FWIW the routers were various vintages of BT and Plusnet Homehubs.

@sevenlayermuddle it ought to be possible to determine whether the OP's problem only affected browsing or if other Internet services like email or iMessage were broken too.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 10:17:37 PM »

Do you have an option to disable one of the WiFi frequencies on your phone?

Another approach is to update your iOS if you have changes pending.
Can not see any way to disable any of the WiFi frequencies.

My iso is the maximum for my obsolete phone, so no updates.

Clearing the cookies and data, good idea.

No connection to anything that needed the internet, eg iMessage, my speed test app, ping test app, BBC News app,  etc.

anything