Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A GDPR total failure  (Read 676 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
A GDPR total failure
« on: May 30, 2018, 07:56:14 PM »

My wife received an email over the weekend from a local interest group she belongs to with a consent form they asked people to sign. A redacted copy of the form is attached.

It's not the most professional GDPR consent form I've seen and doesn't cover the fact that the chairperson forwards emails willy nilly which have a very tenuous if any connection to the groups activities (a recent classic was her forwarding everyone a newsletter she subscribes to which included at the bottom the links to alter or cancel her subscription to the newsletter!).

So why do I describe it as a total failure? The email was sent to 30+ members with the recipients as To and not BCC, so they'd instantly contravened their own policy by distributing everyone's names and email addresses to all members!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: A GDPR total failure
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 08:42:40 PM »

Gawd, the paragraph is poor grammar [be] nevermind falling a long way short of a GDPR privacy policy.  :(

This isn't the first time this week Ive seen mention of an organisation disclosing email addresses for all recipients but I can't for the life of me recall who or where it was as Ive read that much on GDPR the past few months, but apparently disclosure on a mailing list would have been a breach of the old DPA nvm the GDPR.   Even under the DPA you could have reported the organisation to the ICO as a breach of privacy.   Thing is ICO was a bit toothless with DPA, but GDPR carries hefty penalties.  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker