Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hello Everyone! What's your recommendations...  (Read 3540 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Hello Everyone! What's your recommendations...
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 07:09:46 PM »

I'm using several ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A devices as modems for their outstanding performance on ultra-ultra long lines. You have a superb line though so any modem will do fine.

Our very own Johnson has made it possible for the ZyXELs when run as modems (in a two-box setup) such as in my case to handle full-length IP packets (1500 bytes) for maximal compatibility with other systems in the internet. This is something that many two box systems cannot cope with, which is a minor annoyance to us seriously geeky and obsessive types.

Johnson makes avery good point about routers.

I would point out that the shop guy is just giving you sales spiel. Any modern router that has reliable software and just works can route packets at a speed as low as 80 Mbps so shopping on the basis of cpu horsepower doesn't make sense. These numbers are just marketing nonsense. A good router has well designed software, is bug free, is usable and has all the features you need. What kind of system you need depends entirely on you. Business grade routers are totally different to home user ones.

You also might want to think about whether you want excellent IPv6 support in a router.

Johnson's router advice is worth taking seriously. He is correct that QoS is very important and most designers get it wrong. People have also said good things about Mikrotik and pfSense.

I use a Firebrick as a router. These are unfortunately not cheap. [!] I absolutely love the Brick and wouldn't use anything else. I suspect its QoS is hopeless but I'm not sure and that may be unfair. QoS is not controllable on it, that is one major weakness. It has best-in-class IPv6 support designed in from the beginning as a priority, not an afterthought / add-on / upgrade. It has a lot of business-only features - there are two software options - but it's all about quality, reliability ease of use and administration. The docs could do with a little improvement, but then I am thick. The support for them is out of this world, completely unique. I wrote a long review of it some years ago here if you dig around.

I use some really old business grade posh ZyXEL WAPs that were very expensive but the software is well thought out and they are rock solid and fast but the docs are not ideal. I have two Cisco WAPs that are modern 802.11ac wave 2 and ultra high spec in protocol features' terms but I haven't been able to get anyone to help me get hold of and install the right software for them, so I am stuck. You are already good for wireless LAN kit anyway.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything