Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Home Hub reads 'interleaved' now slight sync loss ???  (Read 9495 times)

geo g

• Just arrived
BT Home Hub reads 'interleaved' now slight sync loss ???
« on: May 18, 2008, 12:43:43 AM »

I am with BT Total Broadband Option 3 , I have been with BT for a good few years now ...

My point is ... For well over a year I had been connecting to my BT account using a Netgear DG834Gv3 wireless router.
In January this year I re-signed with BT onto a new 12 month contract because they had offered me thier top package for £19:99 a month with the new style home hub & phone free of charge.
Since using the new hub my sync has dropped slightly from 8128kbps with an IP Profile of 7150  to 8096kbps resulting in an IP Profile of 7000 ( I know I shouldnt complain as ive read there are not many people that sync this fast and have much slower connections)....

I was reading the stats on the hub and found that interleaving is turned on , Ive read that this is to stabilise the line ? ( im no expert on this matter btw) but I dont understand why its turned on as I can sync the full speed using the netgear router , the sync drops through using the home hub.

I dont want to com across as greedy , far from it ... is there anything I can do to get interleaving turned off ?

I want to continue using the home hub because of the broadband talk package that I get using the hub phone.

here are my line stats from the router....

DSL Connection   

Link Information

Uptime:   6 days, 12:55:50
Modulation:   G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 8,096
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]:   2.29 / 18.96
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   12.5 / 25.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   22.0 / 13.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   5 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 65,917
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 577
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 522
Line Profile:   Interleaved

what do the errors mean and are they anything to worry about ? are they causing interleaving ?

I look forward to any replies and information of what I can/could do to try and get the hub to sync at the full speed.
As ive said , the netgear does but I cant use the hub phone with it .

Thanks in advance for any comments

Cheers

geo g

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
Re: BT Home Hub reads 'interleaved' now slight sync loss ???
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 01:21:21 AM »

Hi geo and welcome to the forum.

You can ask for interleaving to be turned off, as I did, but don't expect BT to actually do anything about it. Depending on which "help" desk you contact thay probably won't even know what you're on about.

I have the same profile as you and I doubt you'd notice any difference in download speed if interleaving was turned off. The fact that you are showing errors is another reason why you would probably be better off with the interleaving left on.

What actual download speeds do you get?

geo g

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 01:43:57 AM »

Hi there Astral , many thanks for the quick reply.

Ive just ran 2 speed tests , here are the stats

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

Last Result:
Download Speed: 6816 kbps (852 KB/sec )   Upload Speed: 380 kbps (47.5 KB/sec )

-----

http://www.speedtest.net/

http://www.speedtest.net/result/272743240.png

As you can see they are very fast for the 'upto 8MB' package that I am on.

Am I being picky for wanting the home hub to sync at the top speed allowed for my package or should I just settle for what Ive got just now ?

I just calculated that I get an FEC error every 2 mins ?  Is this normal or .... ?

Thanks again for your reply.

geo g

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 01:54:06 AM »

Very similar to my speed test results.

Personally I'd go for the stability that interleaving brings over an imperceptible increase in download speed.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 07:25:53 AM »

FEC errors are quite normal on an interleaved connection. They indicate that the interleaving is doing its job - they are errors which have been corrected in a way which doesn't require retransmission of the data, i.e. Forward Error Correction. The other errors are 'real' errors, and although they aren't seriously high values they do tend to suggest that you would be advised to stick with the interleaving as Astral suggested.

As to the difference between the two routers, it's so small that you'll never notice any difference in practice.
  Eric

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 07:38:06 AM »

from what i gathered from the last bt engineer who visited me, all new contracts are gonna have interleaving turned on by default.

this is to increase line stability which in turn generates less call to their 'technical dept'.

Paul

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 01:23:53 PM »

It does seem that way