Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: RJ45 plugs  (Read 5165 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
RJ45 plugs
« on: May 29, 2018, 10:03:36 AM »

i am going to be running some CAT5e or CAT6 (just whatever i can get a hold of) thru walls.
i'll add the RJ45 plugs after the cable has been run.

is an RJ45 plug just an RJ45 plug? or should i avoid certain types/makes (or chinese imports etc).
there will be no wall sockets, each end of the cable will either be connected to a switch or the device.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: RJ45 plugs
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 03:56:22 PM »

there will be no wall sockets, each end of the cable will either be connected to a switch or the device.

Oh, yuck! (Sorry.)

Correctly installed structured cabling uses solid core copper conductors between 8P8C modular sockets. Connection is then made between the 8P8C modular sockets and the equipment by usage of stranded copper conductor patch cables.

I appreciate that you wish to do it your own way. In that case, make sure you purchase the correct type of 8P8C modular plugs to suit the type of cabling you intend to use. There are two different types of 8P8C modular plugs available: (1) for stranded conductor cables (2) for solid conductor cables. Crimp the wrong sort onto the cable that you are using and it will fail, the plug will ultimately fall off.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 04:06:42 PM »

OK maybe i made this sound more complicated than it really is.
essentially all i'm doing is creating a couple of long ethernet cables and i just need to crimp the correct ends.

so on ebay you'll see "10 x RJ45 plugs" etc.
is one RJ45 worse than another?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 04:17:28 PM »

Purchase the type of 8P8C plug that matches the type of cable you intend to use.

If you intend to use cables with stranded conductors, ensure that you purchase plugs to crimp onto stranded conductors.

If you intend to use cables with solid-core conductors, ensure that you purchase the plugs to crimp onto solid-core conductors.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 04:24:08 PM »

... and don't go too cheap on the crimp tool!

My first one was super-cheap.  Worked fine for the first connector, then refused to push down all 8 pins properly from then on. 
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 04:24:41 PM »

interesting...
for example, this ebay thread makes no mention of cable type (from what i can see)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100x-RJ45-Network-LAN-CAT5e-Cable-End-Crimp-Plug-Connector-GOLD-Pins-Bulk-Buy/311032836332

[Moderator edited to fix the link.]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 04:28:44 PM by burakkucat »

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 12:12:13 AM »

The link you gave referenced several devices which are usually connected together (sometimes temporarily) using stranded-core cable because it is less susceptible to breakage with repeated flexing/movement, even though solid-core cable has better electrical characteristics. I therefore suspect that the crimps are probably designed for stranded conductors. However, without an explicit description it is impossible to be certain.

Decide first what cable would best suit your application/budget, then (as b*cat said) get the appropriate crimps.

The review ratings of both 1* and 5* seem to indicate that some people unknowingly ended up with a mismatch between cable type and crimp type!

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 07:53:55 AM »

food for thought.
as to which cable would suit the application - i have no idea.
it'll just be a couple of cables run between two rooms - no constant plugging and unplugging. once they are installed that'll be it.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 09:11:44 AM »

Without wating to sound unspupportive to your plan,  I really would suggest you think carefully about the alternative, as suggested by Burakkucat, of terminating the cable in wall sockets.

Advantages of this refinement include...

1. Looks neater.

2. Patch cables are a lot more flexible than the Cat 5 or Cat 6 you’d use for long runs.  Flexible is better suited for connecting to devices that might need to be occasionally moved.

3. RJ45 plugs are basically a terrible design, sooner or later the locking tab nearly always breaks off.   If the long runs are terminated in wall sockets, you just buy a new patch cable whenever that happens.

4. The sockets usually just require a simple idc punch tool for connecting the wires.  Avoids the requirement for expensive and temperamental 8 way plug crimping tools.

Good luck with the project, either way. :)

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 10:11:36 AM »

wall sockets are a definite no-go.

they wouldn't look neater as they couldn't be counter sunk into the wall, they would need to be surface mounted.

also, the cable is running from the room above to the room below, so the cable is coming thru a small hole in the ceiling and running down the corner of the room.

RJ45 plugs are indeed a bad design, but they'll be a bad design regardless of whether it's a long cable or a patch cable.
i can easily replace the plug if one did break.

in an ideal world it would be cables inside the walls and a counter sunk wall socket, but it's a house and that's just not possible.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 02:10:45 PM by chenks »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 01:29:27 PM »

in an ideal world it would be cables inside the walls and a counter sunk wall socket, but it's a house and that's just not possible

With my sarcastic hat on, that's very odd, I have a house and all of mine are in the walls  ;)
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 02:11:28 PM »

With my sarcastic hat on, that's very odd, I have a house and all of mine are in the walls  ;)

plaster board walls i assume?
some houses are built better  :P

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 03:05:52 PM »

It's no big deal using normal crimps with infrastructure cable. They work OK 9 times out of 10. So yes, you may have to remake the odd end.
I would recommend getting branded connectors though. The cheap ones are brass or copper (they say they are gold plated but lie...) and corrode after a few months.
Get some from RS, CPC, Misco or Farnell and you will be fine. If you have loads to do, get a cable tester they are only cheap  ;)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 03:41:24 PM »

plaster board walls i assume?
some houses are built better  :P

Some are, some are solid, the original non structural walls are like those cheap and nasty doors with cardboard innards, but great for threading conduit down. Solid brick doesn't stop me either, not something you want to do if not planning on  decorating though  ;D
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 07:24:53 PM »

If you are going to be going down the hole in the roof method, you would be better buying a long patch cable and making the holes big enough.
Then you could fill the gap with some polyfill.

Though to be honest, I'd be going down the socket route as others have said.
I've just done this a couple of weeks ago between the lounge and conservatory using cat 6 FTP. Both surface mount, however to make it look better I sprayed the back box black and put a nickel plate on the front with a black module.
VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U
Pages: [1] 2