Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTP on Demand Costs Are Still Killing The Technology  (Read 2831 times)

phi2008

• Reg Member
FTTP on Demand Costs Are Still Killing The Technology
« on: May 29, 2018, 07:02:54 AM »

Interesting blog post on FTTPoD here  :-\

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: FTTP on Demand Costs Are Still Killing The Technology
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 09:09:23 AM »

Openreach are at their maximum capacity for FoD. Service providers queue up each month when orders are available. Openreach are focusing on native builds for the foreseeable, they have no interest in selling more FoD than they are.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 10:51:54 AM »

I think FoD is a product out before its time. In effect I think its allowing people to jump the FTTP rollout by making the FoD customer a priority.

I suspect as the FTTP network grows the build charges for FoD 'might' reduce slightly, though I'm not sure.

One thing I noticed on the last exchange accepting orders list is a lot more exchanges are listed as being FoD compatible. FoD appeared on my dsl checker recently too. But for a product that OR have limited to 20 orders per month, I have to wonder why open up the market for it when they don't really want to do it? The the limit of 20 orders per month is more likely to be reached more often for a product that OR themselves say costs them more to build that native FTTP. I don't understand the thinking of it.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 11:16:34 AM »

One thing I noticed on the last exchange accepting orders list is a lot more exchanges are listed as being FoD compatible. FoD appeared on my dsl checker recently too. But for a product that OR have limited to 20 orders per month, I have to wonder why open up the market for it when they don't really want to do it?

Doesn't cost anything to do so. That just means there's an FTTP ONT live at your headend exchange. A good part of the increased availability is coming from provisioning FTTP for the BDUK contracts with more to come in the future as new builds go up, Fibre First carries on and BDUK continues with more and more FTTP as FTTC is less viable for remaining premises.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 02:54:49 PM »

yep FTTPoD is a complete joke right now, in many cases a leased line costs less yet has far superior SLA and 1:1 contention.

I think its a combination of BT unable to get their build works costs down and not willing to sell the product, I mean the product is on the market so they can say its available, they just dont want to sell it outside of native FTTP areas.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 04:07:39 PM »

. . . That just means there's an FTTP ONT live at your headend exchange. . . .

Perhaps you meant OLT, not ONT?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 07:49:27 PM »

Yes indeed.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 02:27:39 AM »

Best to forget FTTPoD once for all. I hope BT Wholesale will removed all FTTPoD because no ones want it. Far too expensive.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 02:59:24 AM »

Why would people even think they want it? Do they not know about the superior alternatives?

anything