Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weather  (Read 3377 times)

displaced

• Reg Member
Re: Weather
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 02:17:47 PM »

If you're not using the internet turn it off xD

Well, looks like I'll be a control for whether or not DLM decides today was a wide-area event and skips applying any line changes...

Modem was on throughout the storm that's just passed.  Racked up a few thousand ES/hr, and an SNRM margin scraping -1.

Didn't get a single VDSL retrain, which is very surprising, but the noise was so high that the PPPoE session stopped passing echo requests, so my pfSense box dropped the session.

If DLM does bring down the resync-hammer overnight, I suppose I'll be on a mission to find out if Vodafone are capable of doing one of those new-fangled ISP-requested DLM resets to Openreach.  That'll be fun.
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 03:52:05 PM »

If you're not using the internet turn it off xD

Not an option at work, we need the phones to work, not to mention all the other Internet related stuff we use.

He's on full fibre (VM) so no DLM!

Stuart

At home yes  ;D,  but still on FTTC at work  :(
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 04:48:52 PM »

Well, looks like I'll be a control for whether or not DLM decides today was a wide-area event and skips applying any line changes...

Modem was on throughout the storm that's just passed.  Racked up a few thousand ES/hr, and an SNRM margin scraping -1.

I escaped the wrath of DLM last July due to Thunderstorms triggering a Wide Area Event.  I was fully expecting to be DLM'd as my error secs were in many thousands but escaped without any penalty.

Ironically the errors were caused by something else which started slightly before the storm hit.  It was quite a large storm that appeared literally out of the blue and scared the hell out of me as I was in the garden at the time feeding my fish.  The strike must have been fairly close to have been so loud (immediate flash bang) I spilt the koi sticks... 

.. so yes it does work on occasion and I hope it does so for you too. :fingers:   I believe it may not just take your cab into account but all the cabs on the same element manager.  I can't recall what % is the trigger off hand, but its on the DLM page. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 08:17:00 PM »

Well, I’m happy to say DLM was kind.

No resync - still running with a line rate a couple of meg above attainable... which my line always seems to do.  Splendid!
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 08:43:26 PM »

:)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 11:33:52 AM »

We just had 4 nights in Windermere in the Lake District and it was glorious weather (too hot for me at 23c / 26c) We went on some nice walks away from the crowds.
In stead of driving we got some cheap Advance train tickets on Virgin Trains 1st class  ;D.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 01:14:15 PM »

Very  nice,  we went a couple of years ago,  very enjoyable and very nice for walks, shame it's so far away for us.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 03:21:06 PM »

Been waay to hot here in Skye, yesterday was unbearable as Janet forgot to open the windows upstairs and my big fan died months ago. That evening I got the windows opened on both sides of the house and a freezing gale came through, very pleasant indeed. I even had two hot water bottles last night. The sea haar was spreading through the valley that is to the east of us, coming down from north to south.

It has been too hot again this afternoon, but windows are open and I have a small fan now. The heat makes the pain far, far worse.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 03:54:46 PM by Weaver »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 10:08:46 AM »

I'm loving the weather.     :sun:  :sun: :sun:

Despite being in quite a bit of pain, I'm finding the warmth helps me a little.   Ok there's been a few days when its been just to hot to go outside in it, but I have one patio which is shaded by a silver birch until about tea-time.  I also have a parasol on the sun patio.    I've been keeping my blinds closed so that inside doesn't get too hot and although I have a fan, I've not used it yet.     I've not done any sunbathing as such but my skin is a lovely golden brown without ever having gone red.   I've been doggie-sitting whilst someone was away who just got back this weekend and my tan almost matches theirs :)

For me can't beat sitting by the pond on a warm evening with a glass of wine.   Making the most of being verrrry slowly able to potter in the garden, as soon I'll be in a bandaged cast and not able to do much.   
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 11:24:02 AM »

Thank goodness it is much much cooler here now, cold strong breeze, really nice. Caoimhe doesn't like the cold breeze and is curled up in the crook of my arm all the time, limpet-like, getting as much skin contact as she can.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2018, 01:22:51 PM »

Had a thunderstorm last week, which I suspect may have weakened the sub-station fuse which caused a localised power outage at 2230 on Saturday night.
Western Power Distribution answered very promptly, and all was fine by around 0030. They rang on Sunday morning to confirm.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
Pages: 1 [2]

anything