Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Forcing DLM to kick in  (Read 1750 times)

michty_me

• Reg Member
Forcing DLM to kick in
« on: May 27, 2018, 02:41:58 PM »

Following on from my thread where I may have a suspected issue with a Netgear D7000, Mine line profile has dropped and appears to be stuck again.
This happened back in January and as it was below my expected rates, Zen sent an engineer out to check my line which was then reset. It didn't want to recover from sitting at a level below what it normally sits for several months.
The issue re-occured and my Max is now sitting at 60,341 with a sync rate of 54999. It also has a SNR of 7.4dB where it normally sits around 3.2dB.

My question is, Can I manually force the DLM to kick by several disconnects of the router or would that be pointless?

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: Forcing DLM to kick in
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 02:50:51 PM »

That might just make matters worse. At best you could try applying moderating banding for a while.

In my experience I've found one or all of the following can trigger banding:
- Rapid re-syncs in a short timeframe
- Significant SNRM variations in a certain timeframe
- Re-syncs beyond the MTBR threshold

There is another option. Zen might be part of the DLM reset trial, so you could try asking them to perform a remote DLM reset if they are part of the trial.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 05:43:53 PM »

Yeah true. I thought I should ask before doing anything.
Another D7000 user is reporting the same issue as me. It locks up and if you don't catch it in time, DLM starts its business and knocking you back. Last time it got stuck at 12dB for a few months.
I'll maybe speak to Zen but don't really want to waste an engineers time if they don't.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 07:03:41 PM »

Yeah true. I thought I should ask before doing anything.
Another D7000 user is reporting the same issue as me. It locks up and if you don't catch it in time, DLM starts its business and knocking you back. Last time it got stuck at 12dB for a few months.
I'll maybe speak to Zen but don't really want to waste an engineers time if they don't.

If Zen are part of the DLM reset trial then they won't need to send an engineer out in order to do a DLM reset. All they do is send a request to Openreach I believe (up to 1000 reset requests per day, per ISP). It's done remotely but it's not guaranteed. I did manage to get one of my lines (banded) reset recently after TTB (via AAISP) appeared to become part of the trial.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 08:36:29 PM »

Thanks Ixel, I'll keep it in mind. They will have my previous issue from a couple of months back on record I would imagine so maybe worth having a chat with them.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 08:48:57 PM »

If you think you may have modem issues, perhaps trying to resolve them first might be the way to go - as you won't be able to request a remote DLM reset more than once

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 09:18:03 PM »

That is what I've been thinking. This issue appears to occur every 30 days. I've rolled back to a firmware that I know was good so I'll leave it as is for now until I'm sure I can trust it again then if it is good and still banded, I'll speak to my ISP. If not, I'll revert to the HG612 and wait it out a bit longer.