Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Forum mail problem for those using Microsoft email addresses - Again!  (Read 23605 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Forum mail problem for those using Microsoft email addresses - Again!
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2018, 11:24:47 AM »

I think the person above me posted an update, but that failed too.    I had a look at the code and saw that my Subs-Members.php had a totally different set of code rather than just one symbol in the one line.     I was going to download a fresh Subs-Menu and compare to mine to see if it was perhaps another mod (such as Stop Spammer) which had inserted the extra code.    I never got that far though.    As you will see it was earlier this year I started looking at it, but then left it as MS mitigated me.    It's only with it happening again recently that I need to revisit it, but just not had chance yet. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2018, 11:27:06 AM »

If it helps, this is where it fails.

Find
Code: [Select]
// !!! Separate the sprintf?
if (empty($regOptions['email']) || preg_match('~^[0-9A-Za-z=_+\-/][0-9A-Za-z=_\'+\-/\.]*@[\w\-]+(\.[\w\-]+)*(\.[\w]{2,6})$~', $regOptions['email']) === 0 || strlen($regOptions['email']) > 255)
$reg_errors[] = array('done', sprintf($txt['valid_email_needed'], $smcFunc['htmlspecialchars']($regOptions['username'])));

Code: (Replace)
// Lets restrict some email providers
   if (!empty($modSettings['restricted_provider']))
   {
      $restricted_provider = explode(",", preg_replace("/(\@[^a-zA-Z0-9,])/", "", $modSettings['restricted_provider']));

foreach ($restricted_provider as $key => $value)
         if (empty($value))
            unset($restricted_provider[$key]);
   }
   else
      $restricted_provider = array();

if (!empty($modSettings['enable_restrict_EmailProvider']) && !empty($modSettings['restricted_provider']))
   {
      foreach($restricted_provider as $provider)
      {       
         preg_match('/' . $provider . '+/i', $_POST['email'], $matches);

if(count($matches) > 0)
            fatal_error(sprintf($txt['restricted'], $regOptions['username']), false);
      }
   }

if (!empty($modSettings['accepted_provider']))
   {
      $accepted_provider = explode(",", preg_replace("/(\@[^a-zA-Z0-9,])/", "", $modSettings['accepted_provider']));

foreach ($accepted_provider as $akey => $avalue)
         if (empty($avalue))
            unset($accepted_provider[$akey]);
   }
   else
      $accepted_provider = array(); 

if (!empty($modSettings['enable_restrict_EmailProvider']) && !empty($modSettings['accepted_provider']))
   {
      foreach($accepted_provider as $aprovider)
      {       
         preg_match('/' . $aprovider . '+/i', $_POST['email'], $matches);

if(count($accepted_provider) == 1)
{
if(count($matches) == 0)
}
else
{
if(count($matches) == 0 && !(each($accepted_provider)))
}
      }
   }
   elseif (empty($regOptions['email']) || preg_match('~^[0-9A-Za-z=_+\-/][0-9A-Za-z=_\'+\-/\.]*@[\w\-]+(\.[\w\-]+)*(\.[\w]{2,6})$~', $regOptions['email']) === 0 || strlen($regOptions['email']) > 255)
$reg_errors[] = array('done', sprintf($txt['valid_email_needed'], $smcFunc['htmlspecialchars']($regOptions['username'])));

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2018, 11:30:32 AM »

This is my Subs-Members.php

if (empty($regOptions['email']) || filter_var($regOptions['email'], FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL) === false || strlen($regOptions['email']) > 255)
$reg_errors[] = array('lang', 'profile_error_bad_email');

if (!empty($regOptions['check_reserved_name']) && isReservedName($regOptions['username'], 0, false))
{
if ($regOptions['password'] == 'chocolate cake')
$reg_errors[] = array('done', 'Sorry, I don\'t take bribes... you\'ll need to come up with a different name.');
$reg_errors[] = array('done', '(' . htmlspecialchars($regOptions['username']) . ') ' . $txt['name_in_use']);
}

-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2018, 11:58:28 AM »

I will wait to see what Jelv and others come up with before I attempt anything.

But yeah having test accounts is great for things like this so no experimentation done on a live site then.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2018, 12:08:45 PM »

I've got a modified version that works on a vanilla SMF installation!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2018, 12:24:15 PM »

PM sent to Kitz with link to modified forum for her to try and my modified package.
John

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2018, 12:26:50 PM »

Well done you!  :thumbs:

I'm not sure if you've seen reply #133 and not sure if it applies

Please note if you use this fix you MUST add another string to the code after the elseif... or users can double-register names/emails.

Replace elseif with:

I was also going to look at reply #134

To prevent the use of a restricted email provider when members change their email address while modifying their profile make the following change to ./Sources/Profile-Modify.php

I have to go out in a few mins, but if you could kindly email me the files and I will test later.

--------------
ETA
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Just seen the further message and the PM.   
Sorry but I really do need to go out now as I have an appt, but will get back to you asap.

-----

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2018, 12:34:05 PM »

I hadn't seen those posts.

What I did was compare the source of 2.0.15 with the source of 2.0.1. I could see that the search lines had been totally changed to use a different method of validating the email format, but that the surrounding lines had not been changed. I just replaced the code with the new version in both the search and the add.

Edit: I've looked at 133.

elseif (empty($regOptions['email']) || preg_match('~^[0-9A-Za-z=_+\-/][0-9A-Za-z=_\'+\-/\.]*@[\w\-]+(\.[\w\-]+)*(\.[\w]{2,6})$~', $regOptions['email']) === 0 || strlen($regOptions['email']) > 255)
is the old version from 2.0.1

$reg_errors[] = array('lang', 'profile_error_bad_email');
Looks like a line was omitted by a copy/paste error in the quoted post. That line is in my modified version.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 12:41:50 PM by jelv »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2022, 08:57:29 PM »

A heads up that this problem with MS mail has reared its head yet again.    For the past week or two member email notifications are not being sent to anyone using the MS mail domains.  :(

It is also stopping new members from joining the forum because they don't receive the confirmation mail.

It may be an idea for anyone with one of these email addresses to change their email address if you wish to continue receiving post notifications.
-----

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2022, 09:16:30 AM »

If MS is blocking emails, have you submitted details hereof the mail server the emails are being sent from here:

https://support.microsoft.com/supportrequestform/8ad563e3-288e-2a61-8122-3ba03d6b8d75

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2022, 09:46:07 AM »

Why should she have to? Kitz has enough on her plate already and can't be as active on these forum as she'd like to be.

Even if she does as you suggest, I bet in a few months time the same thing would happen again.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2022, 10:03:04 AM »

I'm just trying to help. The issue could be the server that the kitz forum is using is also being used by other forums and/or email systems, as the IP address is shared, this could be black listed by Microsoft if it has been used to send spammy emails. Not suggesting this is anything to do with the kitz forum/system.

These systems are in place to protect Microsoft users mailboxes, sometimes the filters are aggressive and the block legitimate emails, hence there is also a process in place to unblock.

Yes, if someone uses the same IP address that kitz forum uses to send spammy/malicious email, then it could happen again, but the process should be easier as information has already been submitted.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2022, 11:22:19 AM »

@jelv It’s just a helpful FYI, not an imperative. You’re understandably protective and good for you.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2022, 03:58:26 PM »

The issue could be the server that the kitz forum is using is also being used by other forums and/or email systems, as the IP address is shared, this could be black listed by Microsoft if it has been used to send spammy emails. Not suggesting this is anything to do with the kitz forum/system.

That would be a fair point, but if you read through the entire thread you can see its probably not the case as this has been happening constantly for a long time and Microsoft have admitted they can't see WHY from their end.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2022, 05:21:26 PM »

I wonder if it's because of idiots who flag notifications as spam instead of unsubscribing? I wonder how many emails going out are not wanted? How many of us have any notifications turned on?

An off the wall suggestion:

Kitz gives notice that on a particular date/time all notifications will be turned off. I'm pretty sure that would be easy to do in the database directly. Anyone who genuinely wants particular notifications can then turn back on again afterwards.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4