Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Forum mail problem for those using Microsoft email addresses - Again!  (Read 23611 times)

michty_me

• Reg Member
Re: Forum mail problem for those using Microsoft email addresses - Again!
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 01:26:17 PM »

You didn't automatically delete them without reading them did you?
The suspicion is that's what's flagging the site email as spam.

MS only unblocked kitz today that's why you haven't been receiving any emails.

No I always open them and to read the content before clicking the link.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 01:34:19 PM »

Notification to members that emails to any of the following domains are being bounced -  Yet again!

@live.com
@outlook.com
@hotmail.com
Does this apply to live.co.uk and hotmail.co.uk too?
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 12:35:06 AM »

Is there many users with MS email addresses ?

If there isn't many it may be worth PM/Emailing to see if they could change them.

Not sure tbh,  would possibly need to query the userbase.   Even so there may be several whose accounts are seldom used.
There's been a few hundred over the past week or so, so I havent looked at them all, but a very quick glance show that 2 or 3 currently active members are most affected.

Does this apply to live.co.uk and hotmail.co.uk too?

I'm afraid so.   For example one of the emails I have rec'd notification of fail from is

m*********7@hotmail.co.uk
    host eur.olc.protection.outlook.com [104.47.6.33]
    SMTP error from remote mail server after pipelined MAIL FROM:<*****kitz.co.uk> SIZE=3688:
    550 5.7.1 Unfortunately, messages from [185.24.98.37] weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list (S3140). ]

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 01:03:55 AM »

no kitz is only going to block hotmail I think, however there is definitely sites that block gmail and yahoo also and they not dead.

But in this case I think just blocking hotmail is adequate.

I'm not quite sure yet how I am going to handle it.   It won't just be hotmail it will also include outlook and live as they all use the same system.

I can't just do a block or the side effect would be the likes of michty and skyeci would end up banned and it requires something more customised.   
As mentioned above there is an SMF mod, but it's been unsupported for quite a while and doesnt work with later versions of SMF2.    Someone has tried to do an update which requires a manual amendment but that also fails.   
The core code has changed quite a bit and the 'find'  & 'replace' wont work as there is something more major going on with some else/ifs in the core code.
I will have attempt some code, but will also be asking for help on the SMF forums before I apply because touching core code is something I don't like doing.

I have other priorities going on too atm.   Some of you know that my hand has got a lot worse and typing becomes more and more difficult... as well as struggling with FM.   I am due to go in for an op very soon to try regain control of my fingers, but nerve transposition recovery is slow (12-18m) and I will be in a full arm cast for a few weeks so no time scale right now.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 04:18:30 AM »

I don't know if this is helpful Kitz but have you tried Speech to text? Not even sure what OS you use.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 04:23:05 AM »

@kitz I have used speech recognition on my ipad when my hands have been hurting me.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 03:29:29 PM »

Kitz of course, when I say hotmail, I mean all hotmail related branding, so MSN, outlook, hotmail, live etc.  They all the same service just different branding frontend's.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 05:17:52 PM »

no kitz is only going to block hotmail I think, however there is definitely sites that block gmail and yahoo also and they not dead.

But in this case I think just blocking hotmail is adequate.
Been using Gmail since Beta and never come across a site that won't allow Gmail addresses for sign-up.

I've come across dozens that don't allow hotmail and other MS email accounts due to problems with activation emails not being received or going straight to spam.

I wouldn't put the 2 in the same category.

I'd be interested to know the % of users on kitz with Gmail addresses. I'd guess it's pretty high.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 06:22:00 PM »

Kitz of course, when I say hotmail, I mean all hotmail related branding, so MSN, outlook, hotmail, live etc.  They all the same service just different branding frontend's.

Yep all MS mail :/

I'd be interested to know the % of users on kitz with Gmail addresses. I'd guess it's pretty high.

Don't know without running some sort of customised query on the database, but I would imagine like you say it will be quite high.   I can't recall ever having had a problem with gmail nor can I remember gmail particularly being used for spam - unlike hotmail & ru mail.   
Hard for me to check on that as most spam type accounts got deleted a while ago during a clean out.   Those with sharp eyes may have spotted a decrease in the number of registered users.  Judging from the db and SMF numbers well over 5k 'members' have been deleted.   
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 07:55:14 AM »

This mod seems to only affect registration so wouldnt ban existing users, but is very dated from 2009, may no longer be relevant for current version of SMF.

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1493

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 08:12:30 AM »

Thats the mod I meant when I said

As mentioned above there is an SMF mod, but it's been unsupported for quite a while and doesnt work with later versions of SMF2.    Someone has tried to do an update which requires a manual amendment but that also fails.   
The core code has changed quite a bit and the 'find'  & 'replace' wont work as there is something more major going on with some else/ifs in the core code.

Reply #138 on that SMF thread about the mod is mine
Tried to install this and Im getting the following errors. 

Is there any update please.  I so want to install this mod and stop people registering with hot-mail etc accounts.

I have since looked at it and I will probably be on my own trying to see if I can get it working with the current version.   It's no longer a one line change and I need to spend some time looking at the code properly to see if I can figure it out because its now smack bang in between an elseif and no longer a straight forward find and replace to attempt to even do a manual update nvm the fact the package failed.

This is a link to the image I posted in that mod thread and what happens why I try to install
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=274317.0;attach=256061;image

It's sickening that it doesnt work as it is exactly what I need :'(
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 09:03:34 AM »

can you post the image here kitz? I need to be registered on there to view it.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2018, 09:27:38 AM »

Hi kitz

I’m sure you have tried already sorry, but in case not, have you tried that package in compatibility mode with smfv1.

You maybe lucky

If it helps, I can give you a test account and one click install will install smf in less then a minute is a default install. Then you could test/change at will without any risk to kitz, which should give you the chance to see what needs changing first on a standard default smf

Many thanks

John

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 09:58:40 AM »

There's people on the SMF forums that are assuming that the reason we want M$ emails blocked is because spammers are registering on our forums using those addresses - I've just posted a clarification.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2018, 11:17:01 AM »

I'm taking a look at the mod. I can see why it failed and it may not be difficult to get it working (I've downloaded the source for 2.0.1 and can see what has changed).
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything