Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ZyXel modem routers- QoS when in straight modem mode / modem-only mode  (Read 3810 times)

spring

• Reg Member

I have to say, its very hard to follow your posts spring. There are so many links and quotes, then edits to add more information and emphasis. I find it difficult to understand the points you are making.

This thread was started to talk about whether a bridge mode modem was performing any type of QoS, then you suggest adding a "transparent traffic shaper" to avoid double NAT? Did you suggest double NAT as a way to allow the modem to perform QoS instead of the router?

I'm honestly lost.

Router devices before the modem are capable of controlling upstream and downstream to perform QoS [which to me appeared to be a simple rate limit, aka traffic shaping, which is a part of QoS but not actually QoS] even if the links afterwards are not, are you saying thats not the case? I find it hard from reading your posts to know if thats what you are trying to say.
If you have a spare router, maybe you could bridge it between the zyxel and brick without routing/nat, for QoS. Maybe. But I wouldn't say it'll succeed or be better than simply buying a real switch.

Downstream IP QoS is Layer-3, the ZyXEL does not support this. The ISP would need to support this as well, possibly for more money. The ZyXEL only supports downstream LAN QoS which is at Layer-2.
The reason Upstream IP QoS works even at Layer-2 is because your router can queue sending, it cannot queue receiving once it received to Layer-2 without it being called congestion.

Downstream QoS on ZyXEL [Layer-2]: https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14084.msg293800.html#msg293800

I've simply posted the Googled information which seemed to contradict what I've seen in this thread, and I think it's time to leave as I've done my share of effort for something not mine + am not as informed as others here, I've simply tried to correct the misinformation [might've failed, but doubt it].
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 10:54:50 AM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

johnson

• Reg Member

I didnt mean to offend you, just letting you know that I at least have a hard time understanding your posts when you put so many quotes/links in then edit them over and over again.

Your response is an example, I have refreshed in every minute or so since you posted and you have been constantly editing it, even changing things in the post of mine you quoted.

It makes it very hard to follow the point you are making.

Maybe others can comprehend what you are saying better, maybe my levels of understanding on the subject are too low to get your points. If so I apologise.

spring

• Reg Member

I didnt mean to offend you, just letting you know that I at least have a hard time understanding your posts when you put so many quotes/links in then edit them over and over again.

Your response is an example, I have refreshed in every minute or so since you posted and you have been constantly editing it, even changing things in the post of mine you quoted.

It makes it very hard to follow the point you are making.

Maybe others can comprehend what you are saying better, maybe my levels of understanding on the subject are too low to get your points. If so I apologise.
I started with 0 knowledge and googled for a few hours so I kept editing.

I'll retreat and let the experienced, as I don't feel confident about just Googling my knowledge to be better than others here. Good day.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 10:52:52 AM by spring »

johnson

• Reg Member

I started with 0 knowledge and googled for a few hours so I kept editing.

Ok  :)

Maybe I'm just not used to stream of conciousness posts.  ;D

Anyway, this has got way off topic, apologies Weaver.

spring

• Reg Member

Well, yes, this is to keep using bridge mode with what I assume is ZyXEL(gateway)>Firebrick

To answer the original question:
Does QoS work even if your modem-router is set to just be a modem? Or does it only apply to routers being routers?
In bridge mode with what appeared to be simple criterias: no more than two devices bridged as  Modem ---> Router - the answer was no for both devices.
Without bridge mode, the answer is yes. If this thread was only about non-bridge, then I've posted all that off-topic ;D

Edit: My mistake, a router can do QoS in bridge mode [just the gateway aka modem can't only in bridge], and if the Firebrick doesn't have the QoS you need but you want to keep it, then you can add a switch. On the ZyXEL I put it by packet length on upstream which overrides all rules so I didn't set any.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:17:30 PM by spring »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

Spring are you thinking about adding in a switch that does QoS? Between the router and the rest of the LAN?

If so, that would be nice!

Just to draw you a picture:

I have 3 ZyXELs, each as a modem-only device connected to phone lines.
Firebrick FB2700 is the IP router, speaking PPPoEoE to the 3 ZyXEL modems.
Brick talks to an unimpresssive HP gigabit switch.
(HP switch also talks to several ZyXEL expensive old WAPs.)

spring

• Reg Member

3 modems > new switch > the rest.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything